Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

2 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Wrap it up. Go again in August. This hasn't even peaked yet. Weeks from that .

Agree with sentiment but August could still be during peak virus.

Next season is unlikely to start on time.

Edited by Elton
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, R.Bear said:

You’re absolutely insane.

Wow, I am insane for suggesting football clubs will sue if denied promotion. A little over the top accusation I think. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Wow, I am insane for suggesting football clubs will sue if denied promotion. A little over the top accusation I think. 

Definitely not insane but I don’t think they have an actionable case and definitely don’t if the EFL don’t complete their season.

Suspending the EFL will be a tougher call as so many clubs rely on match day revenue to survive. Quite a few could go under.

Edited by Elton

Still doubt that £100m would even scratch the itch of the many many second order losses of income too e.g. refunds to advertisers?, Corporate income they'd have got, Season ticket refunds?, loss of Televised match revenue. £100 between 70 teams would barely cover lost match day expenses.

Not an easy decision whichever way they go.

8 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I don't think you can relegate anyone and I think it's manifestly unfair to stop 2 teams with commanding leads over 3rd place from coming up. 

I'd award Liverpool the league, they absolutely deserve it. 

I'd then bring Leeds and WBA up and play a 22 team season, relegating 4 teams the following year and promoting 1 automatically and 1 through the playoffs. It's a bit unlucky for the sides in and around the playoff positions this year but I don't see how you can relegate a team with 10 games left unplayed. 

funny just got into the office and our solution was exactly this

the question marks on liverpool winning the league. do the teams that can mathematically catch them need to 'concede' the league?

also they'd always be known as the team that won the 30 game season...and not a proper title

i can see the euros being postponed a year and the european leagues completing their fixtures around the time it was supposed to be

If games carry on from April 3rd would mean our next game is Wolves at home, which is the early kick-off so if we win that we'd climb out of the bottom three, then later in the day Watford are at home to Southampton, West Ham at home to Chelsea, and Bournemouth at home to Newcastle.

1 minute ago, useless said:

If games carry on from April 3rd would mean our next game is Wolves at home, which is the early kick-off so if we win that we'd climb out of the bottom three, then later in the day Watford are at home to Southampton, West Ham at home to Chelsea, and Bournemouth at home to Newcastle.

April 3rd, at the earliest. The are winging it. This is weeks away from reaching peak levels. Season is done i think.

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

funny just got into the office and our solution was exactly this

the question marks on liverpool winning the league. do the teams that can mathematically catch them need to 'concede' the league?

also they'd always be known as the team that won the 30 game season...and not a proper title

i can see the euros being postponed a year and the european leagues completing their fixtures around the time it was supposed to be

While I think that Liverpool's title is a little tainted, it's only in the sense that they won't get to lift the cup in front of a packed stadium full of their idiot fans. 25 point lead with 9 games to go. Only City can catch them, and the fair and sporting thing to do would be for City to concede if asked. 

6 minutes ago, useless said:

At the rate it's escalating I think those games would be a big IF. I think if the virus spreads as expected those games won't be going ahead either. We are well and truly in uncharted waters here.

5 hours ago, Elton said:

Agree with sentiment but August could still be during peak virus.

Next season is unlikely to start on time.

I don't think there's a cat in hell's chance that next season will start on time. I would think it is in serious danger of not taking place.

Edited by Okonokos
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

At the rate it's escalating I think those games would be a big IF. I think if the virus spreads as expected those games won't be going ahead either. We are well and truly in uncharted waters here.

The Government of Britain's response to the virus has been nothing short of criminal. Essentially saying "let it play out and we will deal with it when's it's at it's peak!". If this is allowed to continue you are looking at somewhere in the region of 1 million deaths.