Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

3 minutes ago, useless said:

And yet we're still only two points from safety with a game in hand, we could have lost the last twelve games in a row, but if you're still that close to safety it's stupid to just give up, just giving up and accepting failure is a bigger threat to our survial than anything else. Over the last ten games we're not even in the bottom three for worst form in the league n that period we've only take two less points than Tottenham, three less points than Wolves and the same amount of points as Newcastle, we're bottom in the form table for the last six, but even during that time we've picked up the exact amount of points as Watford, Brighton, West Ham, and Norwich.

All true. Yet I'd argue we currently look way worse than all the aforementioned teams. Form may of course change, but ours has been poor for several months, whereas the others have shown signs of improvement lately... and we play Chelsea next who looked almost unstoppable and smashed 4 past Everton.

We can hope, but that's about it. 

2 hours ago, useless said:

How poor the league is is the very thing that gives us a chance, plenty of teams have been in much worse positions at this stage of the season than we are and still survived. Obviously won't be easy, even if we'd have won last night it still would have been tough with our remaining fixtures, but with being just two points from survival with ten games still to go and a game in hand then we still have to keep fighting.

WE do mate  but as we statistically have only managed  an average of less than 1 point a game  from the 28 games!  its very very, very , very ,unlikely we will survive.  We are totally  rudderless  at the moment and had the teams around us not been so poor as well we would be cut adrift. We will finish where we are !

I was listening to the radio TS the other night (Saturday) and they had the Paddy Power bookie guy on discussing in the main the top 6 teams & odds for who would get Champs league. At the end though they did ask him about us and our odds of staying up & he said it wasn't good... we were 8/15 on to be relegated in their view as we have a horrid run in. Now that was BEFORE the latest disgrace at Leicester.

Basically we are crap away from home as we witnessed last night & at Southampton & at Bournemouth etc etc But our home games are all against teams fighting for top 4 namely Man U (Unbeaten in about 10) Arsenal (now on a winning streak) Chelsea (Also picked up form) Wolves (Local derby & fighting for top 4) & Sheff Utd (Fewest goals conceded & fighting for top 4) On top of that we have not won against any team in the top half all season either as we all know. As for the away games we never turn up for those so we may as well write them off too.

It does not look promising sadly.

Our last hope is the McGinn effect but that puts so much pressure on him. I just hope it reinvigorates Grealish as his head has clearly been turned.

57 minutes ago, Farlz said:

The Premier League has made football miserable for me again, get us back in the Championship already. 

I would agree, but the only thing keeping me here is Jack Grealish. And being able to watch every game live on my TV and not through some 240p stream of a bloke yelling at his TV.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I would agree, but the only thing keeping me here is Jack Grealish. And being able to watch every game live on my TV and not through some 240p stream of a bloke yelling at his TV.

I've quickly realised that even if we stay up Grealish is going so I'm not even holding on to that anymore. Staying up just means we get a bit more money for him. 

Regarding TV games it felt as if we were on more often than not in the Championship because we're one of the big boys. 

The championship wasn't much better, for the most part we were a midtable team hoping to sneak into the play-offs and being outplayed by pretty much every other club, most of them with much smaller budgets than us, not once did we ever seriously threaten top two, I'd rather be battling for survival in the premier league than battling to finish in the top six in the league below. Only way things are going to improve is by being in the Premier league and improving in this division. I remember the last we were relegated and people were saying at least we'll win some games next season the following season we finished 13th, 18 points from the play-offs and only small heath, Wigan and Rotherham scored fewer goals than us.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I've quickly realised that even if we stay up Grealish is going so I'm not even holding on to that anymore. Staying up just means we get a bit more money for him. 

Regarding TV games it felt as if we were on more often than not in the Championship because we're one of the big boys. 

I don't see him leaving unless Man City or Liverpool come in for him and he throws a strop to get out. Could happen, but it's unlikely.

Not very confident of the other games going in our favor this weekend, can see West Ham at home to Wolves, Leicester at home to Watford, Bournemouth at home to Palace, Brighton at home to Arsenal, and Watford at home to Leicester all getting results. Which would make the Chelsea game a must win, whereas if those earlier fixtures go in our favor then I think a draw in that game would be okay just to get us out of this losing rut that we're in. To be fair if any of our rivals were at home to Chelsea I'd be half expecting that Chelsea would somehow conspire to lose that game as they so often seem to do so when facing teams near the bottom of the table.

16 minutes ago, useless said:

Not very confident of the other games going in our favor this weekend, can see West Ham at home to Wolves, Leicester at home to Watford, Bournemouth at home to Palace, Brighton at home to Arsenal, and Watford at home to Leicester all getting results. Which would make the Chelsea game a must win, whereas if those earlier fixtures go in our favor then I think a draw in that game would be okay just to get us out of this losing rut that we're in. To be fair if any of our rivals were at home to Chelsea I'd be half expecting that Chelsea would somehow conspire to lose that game as they so often seem to do so when facing teams near the bottom of the table.

Hopefully Watford are more tired from travelling than Leicester for these games ;) 

• Haha 2

Can see Watford and Leicester being a draw and Wolves beating West Ham if Adama is fit as West Ham are pretty slow at full back. Think Wolves have won all three meetings with West Ham since promotion so it's a good match up for them. Not sure on Bournemouth-Palace, Palace are good away but it's a huge game for Bournemouth, one of their realistic winnable ones left.

Don't think the problem will be this weekend but the following ones....we don't play the following weekend so chance for whoever's playing to stretch lead over us and we then return with Wolves at home and Liverpool away. Can see one point at best there so two more weekends for teams to create bigger gaps to 16th and 17th.

We really need to get either Sheffield United at home or Newcastle away put in after the Wolves game just to create a period where we could actually get some points if we pull our finger out with a decent perfoemance.

34 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Can anyone see us getting anything against Chelsea though? I can’t they have beaten Liverpool and thrashed Everton in the past week. 

Before the weekend results I actually thought it would be a similar game to when we played Spurs so chance to take at least a point. Spurs went into our game having just beaten Man. City.

Chelsea have lots of injuries and they're pretty bad at defending corners themselves, nearly conceded as many as we have from them. Historically they're not that good at Villa Park either.

Last 48 hours it's difficult to see anything other than a comfortable win for them now.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Can anyone see us getting anything against Chelsea though? I can’t they have beaten Liverpool and thrashed Everton in the past week. 

Gilmour will run the game for them in midfield. Probably the easiest game he will have of his career. Pedro/Willian probably score two each.

SmITh TeaMs PlAy BetTEr SeCoNd HaLf Of tHe sEAsOn 

To be honest our chance was when we first came up. All three promoted teams were an unknown entity and you have to take advantage of that and catch teams cold. We NEARLY did it several times as we played very well yet inevitably lost, usually to some late shitty goals. Norwich looked like they might, with the man City win etc but couldn't manage it. Sheffield have managed to do it yet maintain their form, I don't really watch them so not sure why I presume variability in tactics. Whereas we have been figured out completely now and get turned over every week. Every opposing manager will just be like 'lads this is what they did last time etc'. Going 3 at the back helped a bit as it was a surprise but now that's been figured out as well. 

On 10/03/2020 at 14:17, useless said:

And yet we're still only two points from safety with a game in hand, we could have lost the last twelve games in a row, but if you're still that close to safety it's stupid to just give up, just giving up and accepting failure is a bigger threat to our survial than anything else. Over the last ten games we're not even in the bottom three for worst form in the league n that period we've only take two less points than Tottenham, three less points than Wolves and the same amount of points as Newcastle, we're bottom in the form table for the last six, but even during that time we've picked up the exact amount of points as Watford, Brighton, West Ham, and Norwich.

Nobody is saying to just give up, but we're definitely the worst side in the league as of late. Yes we have a game in hand, against a team in the top 9 of whom we've picked up a single point against this season, so I can forgive people for thinking we aren't going to win that. As for the form table itself, I don't think there's a single positive to be taken from that. 

Opponents average position last 6 games
Villa - 12.5
Brighton - 12.5
Watford - 10.8
Bournemouth - 9.3
West Ham - 7.3
Norwich - 6.3

Brighton have been equally crap, but they do have 4 points on us. The fact that we've not picked up plenty more points than Norwich and West Ham is criminal really, when they've essentially been playing the leagues top clubs most weeks.

Edited by kurtsimonw

Different sides will have taken turns at being the team with the worst form at different stages of the season, and that's because form changes, it goes up and down, just because we've lost a number of games in a row it doesn't mean that that form is going to continue. It's also worth remembering that apart from the Leicester game we could have easily taken draws from all our recent defeats, even the Southampton game we could have nicked a draw at the end, they didn't score their second until injury time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1