Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

22 minutes ago, useless said:

If our form over the season had been that bad we'd be cut adrift of safety by now, as it is that's not the case as we're only two points from safety with a game in hand.  We've shown at times that we're good enough at this level, just need to get back to that form to give us a chance. If results go our way again on Saturday and we can get a result against Chelsea that should get some confidence back in the team, which is obviously easier said than done, but Chelsea are up and down this season, can look amazing one game and then lose the next game against a team you'd expect them to do better against.

I love your optimism and mathematically it is still in our hands, but we've been on 25 points for almost two months. The fact we aren't cut adrift is more a commentary on how poor the league is as opposed to our hopes of staying up. I'd love you to be right mate, but I just can't see it.

It's rare you're cut adrift on 25 points with still ten left to play. It's likely you could take a point a game and stay up although we look miles away from even doing that and our goal difference is second worst to Norwich now which is another increasing problem.

25 points by mid January was a very good positon to be in although we still weren't that far clear of bottom 3 due to the higher points totals from all the teams down there compared to last season although we've seen that's levelled off in last two months.

How poor the league is is the very thing that gives us a chance, plenty of teams have been in much worse positions at this stage of the season than we are and still survived. Obviously won't be easy, even if we'd have won last night it still would have been tough with our remaining fixtures, but with being just two points from survival with ten games still to go and a game in hand then we still have to keep fighting.

Well people moan about the players giving up and not having any believe, but sometimes the fans are just as bad in that sense. Yes survival is going to be very tough, but to just completely give up now and  write-off our chances is ridiculous, we're in a position that at the start of the season many claimed that they expected us to be.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, useless said:

Well people moan about the players giving up and not having any believe, but sometimes the fans are just as bad in that sense. Yes survival is going to be very tough, but to just completely give up now and  write-off our chances is ridiculous, we're in a position that at the start of the season many claimed that they expected us to be.

Although most (including me) expected us to be in and around the relegation zone, I didn't expect to see us getting destroyed week in, week out. Whether  by Bournemouth, Southampton, Leicester or Man City, it's not good enough and there is no silver lining, frankly it's getting worse each week.

We can't keep a clean sheet, and with Grealish out of form we can't create chances. I don't see how this is going to change with our current management and coaching in place in our upcoming fixtures against Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Wolves, Everton? I'm not totally sure we will even win one more game this season. The Leicester game isn't the exception, it's the rule. 

• Like 1

If the Leicester game was the rule we wouldn't be two points from safety with a game in hand we'd be below Norwich and already relegated. We're just on a bad run of form at the moment, whether we can turn it around is another question, but the last four games haven't served as an indication of the season as an whole.

27 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

We're two points from safety with a game in hand. 6 of our 10 remaining games are at home. It is absolutely not even close to being over yet. For what it's worth, I think we will stay up.

I think we will go down, but we are nowhere near relegated yet. We have a massive chance to turn this around.

What I do like about your post is that although we disagree about the final outcome (go down or stay up) we agree that the doomsday people who are checking out travel to Blackburn or Reading already are getting way ahead of themselves.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I think we will go down, but we are nowhere near relegated yet. We have a massive chance to turn this around.

What I do like about your post is that although we disagree about the final outcome (go down or stay up) we agree that the doomsday people who are checking out travel to Blackburn or Reading already are getting way ahead of themselves.

Absolutely. The last thing we need is fans throwing in the towel now. It is completely in our own hands and nowhere near over yet. We have 10 games to sort ourselves out. It's amazing what can happen in 10 games...

30 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

We're two points from safety with a game in hand. 6 of our 10 remaining games are at home. It is absolutely not even close to being over yet. For what it's worth, I think we will stay up.

I honestly struggle to see how we'd even beat a Sunday league team. 

You can "think" whatever you like. There's just NOTHING supporting such "thinking" currently. It's all just wishful thinking, and blind fate. 

2 minutes ago, vreitti said:

You can "think" whatever you like. There's just NOTHING supporting such "thinking" currently. It's all just wishful thinking, and blind fate. 

there is literally nothing suggesting we would struggle to beat a Sunday league team.

The evidence of us scoring 25 point over 28 games, suggests that we should average around another 8 points from remaining games.

While that might not be enough, it is entirely possible we could steal a dodgy win from somewhere.

We are playing badly - really poor string of loses. But how can you be so sure? If we did stay up (and I don't think we will) it won't even be spoken about as a great escape or a miracle. by any media outlets.

• Like 1

It'd be nice if we could start scrapping like a team in a relegation battle shortly. It just feels like we're in cruise control. Bruise free, strolling around football.

It was the same last time we went down, but that was after years of our culture being eroded.

We're absolutely capable of staying up but we need something significant to change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

I think a lot expected a relegation battle. 

We're 19th and look more likely to finish 20th than survive. 

I expected it to be hard. I didn't think we'd be this bad. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, vreitti said:

We'd struggle to beat a Sunday league team? Then how have we won 7 games this season.

It's not all wishful thinking. It's only been 2 games since our best performance of the season (against Tottenham). We also raised our game against ManC in the cup and gave them a good go. The players have actually shown they can raise their game. They just need to do it more often.

23 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

there is literally nothing suggesting we would struggle to beat a Sunday league team.

The evidence of us scoring 25 point over 28 games, suggests that we should average around another 8 points from remaining games.

While that might not be enough, it is entirely possible we could steal a dodgy win from somewhere.

We are playing badly - really poor string of loses. But how can you be so sure? If we did stay up (and I don't think we will) it won't even be spoken about as a great escape or a miracle. by any media outlets.

That is such a good point.

2 hours ago, useless said:

If the Leicester game was the rule we wouldn't be two points from safety with a game in hand we'd be below Norwich and already relegated. We're just on a bad run of form at the moment, whether we can turn it around is another question, but the last four games haven't served as an indication of the season as an whole.

They definitely have, we have picked up points in the joint least amount of games (11). Explains why we are 19th. The next up from that is 13 games where points have been gained. 

We are not very good at football. 

Edited by Tayls

Just now, Okonokos said:

We'd struggle to beat a Sunday league team? Then how have we won 7 games this season.

It's not all wishful thinking. It's only been 2 games since our best performance of the season (against Tottenham). We also raised our game against ManC in the cup and gave them a good go. The players have actually shown they can raise their game. They just need to do it more often.

It's all opinions... yours and mine, it seems are very far away from one another. I can't even remember a performance worthy of mention this season. Perhaps Everton at home. I thought we were scared shitless in the final, and never actually challenged them.

5 minutes ago, vreitti said:

It's all opinions... yours and mine, it seems are very far away from one another. I can't even remember a performance worthy of mention this season. Perhaps Everton at home. I thought we were scared shitless in the final, and never actually challenged them.

Taking opinions out of it, we are 2 points from safety with a game in hand and 9 others to play. Those are facts. And whatever anyone thinks might or might not happen, it's definitely not over yet. Not even close.

And yet we're still only two points from safety with a game in hand, we could have lost the last twelve games in a row, but if you're still that close to safety it's stupid to just give up, just giving up and accepting failure is a bigger threat to our survial than anything else. Over the last ten games we're not even in the bottom three for worst form in the league n that period we've only take two less points than Tottenham, three less points than Wolves and the same amount of points as Newcastle, we're bottom in the form table for the last six, but even during that time we've picked up the exact amount of points as Watford, Brighton, West Ham, and Norwich.

• Like 1