Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

but of course lets just blame smith instead 

Got the worst defensive record in the league.

Concedes 20+ shots every game.

No other team has conceded more goals from set pieces than Villa

That's why Smith is facing criticism.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I understand that

but man utd playing better vs man city and winning yesterday is not a stick to beat him with

Just now, villa4europe said:

I understand that

but man utd playing better vs man city and winning yesterday is not a stick to beat him with

I just thought they were braver on the ball than us.

Quality aside yes of course. But we really just kicked the ball away whenever we won it.

That's my criticism of that final. I've said it before and i accept that people will disagree with me but i thought we were cowardly on the day. To me it looked like damage limitation tactics rather than going for it.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Quality aside yes of course. But we really just kicked the ball away whenever we won it.

That's my criticism of that final. I've said it before and i accept that people will disagree with me but i thought we were cowardly on the day. To me it looked like damage limitation tactics rather than going for it.

I agree. I thought the same. The times we took it to city we actually looked quite good and caused them problems.

The same could be said all season. We just seem to.panic when we dont have the ball and retreat to the 18 yard line and hope. Causes us no end of problems...too many players not knowing who is doing what...no outlet when we do get the ball and constant pressure.

This has been my main issue with smith all year...yes at times get men behind the ball but dont get all 10 sitting next to each other and giving the opposition a free ride for 80 yards of the pitch.

Every game I hope it will change but cant see it...it will be the same tonight...10.players to their 4 in box...free headers...them picking up the second ball...back 4 on 6 yard line...midfield on penalty spot.

With a coaching hat on...Mings is the main culprit...when a ball comes in to the box you watch him...rather going to attack it he treats back...Bournemouth away and city are just two examples.

15 hours ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Watching the man utd v man city game I noticed United set up defensively exactly as we did.

Very narrow with the fullbacks tucked in at the back but the midfield also very narrow, allowing city's wingers to pretty much stand in as much space as they wanted out wide.

So my question is what did united do better than us to limit their clear cut chances, or did we simply face a better city.

Better players to a man simple as! Only Jack and Mings would get into that utd team and that's being very kind to TM!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

He isn't facing any real criticism , other than a few vocal posters on here who are in the minority. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tinker said:

He isn't facing any real criticism , other than a few vocal posters on here who are in the minority. 

what he isn't facing is irrational criticism based on things that are largely irrelevant

if you want to go in to depth about the number of shots we face and goals we concede then fine, most people would agree and constructively try and assess it and ask questions when he doesn't at least try and fix it

if you want to be overly negative and miserable and use man utd beating man city as a way of criticising our good given the low expectation performance in the cup final which will hopefully give us a little bit of a push in the next few weeks, constantly dragging this club down with moaning, then no the majority of people are not going to be interested

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

what he isn't facing is irrational criticism based on things that are largely irrelevant

if you want to go in to depth about the number of shots we face and goals we concede then fine, most people would agree and constructively try and assess it and ask questions when he doesn't at least try and fix it

if you want to be overly negative and miserable and use man utd beating man city as a way of criticising our good given the low expectation performance in the cup final which will hopefully give us a little bit of a push in the next few weeks, constantly dragging this club down with moaning, then no the majority of people are not going to be interested

Yep, we was always going to struggle and that means more shots against us, more goals against us and less goals scored for us. ( Its a simple game, score more goals than you conceed)

We have a weak squad with next to no premier league experience, most of us expected a struggle this season based on these simple facts. Add to that injuries to our strikers and a key midfielder and you have a season long battle to get results .

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Man Utd have better players than Aston Villa, that’s all there is to it. They played more effectively against City because they have better players, in every area of the pitch. 

Only four touches from Villa in the Leicester box, the lowest figure of touches in an opponent's box this season.

We are bottom in goals conceded, shots conceded....we deserve to be relegated and have only ourselves to blame.

I kept off here last night as knew it would be brutal.  We all know the team lacks quality but now they are completely void of any confidence. Defeated almost. It feel like the year we went down. 

The worst thing is it also feels like Jack and Mings have given up.  

It’s over isnt it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I kept off here last night as knew it would be brutal.  We all know the team lacks quality but now they are completely void of any confidence. Defeated almost. It feel like the year we went down. 

The worst thing is it also feels like Jack and Mings have given up.  

It’s over isnt it?

I'd say so. At this point I think the only hail mary shot we have is changing the manager and hoping the bounce effect of even a caretaker can scrape us the points required.

That won't happen though. We're a soft touch as a club and Dean is going nowhere regardless of how the season finishes.

Edited by RichiBoi11
  • Like 1

Think I'm happy enough for us to go down now. This season has been far less enjoyable than any of our three years in the Championship - can't think of even a stand out enjoyable game (maybe Everton or Newcastle at a stretch). We were just here to make up the numbers and provide transfer rumours for Man Utd. I think being competitive in the Championship next season will be more enjoyable than another season of this.

• Like 2

Can't give up on survival yet, not whilst we're only two points from safety with a game in hand. I think we just need a result from somewhere to get us out of this rut and going again, it's not like we've been rubbish all season so have no hope of finding any form, we've shown that we can at least perform to the levels of a team good enough for survival this season, we just have to get back to that level again to give ourselves a chance.

• Like 1

Our best run of form in terms of points totals has been that on one occasion we have taken 7 points from 3 games. That came in September to October (Burnley D, Norwich W, Brighton W) Since then the best we have mustered is 4 points from 2 games, which we've only achieved on two occasions (Newcastle W, Man Utd D) in November/December and (Brighton D, Watford W) in January.

I'd love to be wrong, but I can't see us replicating any of those sorts of points totals from the next four games (Chelsea, Wolves, Liverpool, Man Utd) so by the time we have any realistic opportunity of getting points on the board it could be too late. Additionally, if we take a hammering in a couple of those games it will also make the games people view as 'winable' much harder because of the pressure and the confidence of the players realistically being in tatters. We've given ourselves too much to do, and the odds are that this squad doesn't have the quality or nouse to put together the run of form we need in the remaining games.

I wanted us to at least go down swinging, but if this was a combat sport the ref would be calling it to a stop now because we're a bloodied mess unable to defend ourselves.

Edited by RichiBoi11
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, El-Reacho said:

Think I'm happy enough for us to go down now. This season has been far less enjoyable than any of our three years in the Championship - can't think of even a stand out enjoyable game (maybe Everton or Newcastle at a stretch). We were just here to make up the numbers and provide transfer rumours for Man Utd. I think being competitive in the Championship next season will be more enjoyable than another season of this.

Agree with the less enjoyable than the championship bit. It's not even about making up the numbers, it's coming up against decisions, and some decisions made twice, which are blatantly incorrect. And systems put in place which don't go by the law created for them at the beginning of this season. It's all designed to give top clubs decisions, much like FFP. For that reason, I'm out and will happily play the championship next season. At least then we will know that if a decision is incorrect, then it's because the ref is shit. And I will quite happily let refs make mistakes (obviously berate them) but walk away afterwards knowing we haven't been **** by VAR once again.

• Like 1

If our form over the season had been that bad we'd be cut adrift of safety by now, as it is that's not the case as we're only two points from safety with a game in hand.  We've shown at times that we're good enough at this level, just need to get back to that form to give us a chance. If results go our way again on Saturday and we can get a result against Chelsea that should get some confidence back in the team, which is obviously easier said than done, but Chelsea are up and down this season, can look amazing one game and then lose the next game against a team you'd expect them to do better against.

• Like 2