Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Point against Spurs would be huge. They're starting to hit some form and are coming off a big win against City, but they're so hot and cold and a trip to Villa Park is exactly the type of game they usually bottle after doing well.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Point against Spurs would be huge. They're starting to hit some form and are coming off a big win against City, but they're so hot and cold and a trip to Villa Park is exactly the type of game they usually bottle after doing well.

Its going to be a competition who can bottle it more!

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Maybe it is human nature of most fans to over play the hand of other clubs and under play the hand of the club you support. The bottom line is though that 25 games in, with some of the other clubs in relegation mire having played 26, we find ourselves out of the relegation places. We can be doom and gloom and say that we won't maintain our points per game and other sides below will pick up but recent form shows we are actually doing better than every other club around us.

I know it is hard but I think there is much to be hopeful about and I also think it would be beneficial as hard as it may be for those of us who are going to the upcoming games if we can avoid being edgy as that will only transmit to the players.

Mark, not sure how you are measuring form but on 6 match form Watford are doing better than us and on 10 match form Watford and Bournemouth are doing better than us.

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

Its going to be a competition who can bottle it more!

and we're better at losing than Spurs so I guess they'll win the "who can bottle it more" fight, which would be good for us!

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Are you confusing them with us!?!?!?!

Just now, VillaChris said:

Spurs lost to Newcastle straight after the last time they took points off Man. City.

Yeah because that has any bearing on us at all, we are literally the worst team in the league in terms of points taken against a "top team".

Granted anything can happen, but I'm not holding my breath.

Well the poster you were questioning was saying they bottle/mess up games against weaker teams so just thought I'd give an example.

Way I look at it we were 1-1 with them down there up to 88th minute and the guy who decided the game is injured now so I'm hopeful of at least a point and also picked up points in majority of other home games. Time will tell.

If we repeat every result against our remaining opponents we get a disturbing 8 points. I think that puts in to perspective our predicament. That includes a point against Man Utd and three against the now rejuvenated Everton.

To further put that in to the overall picture, West Ham would get 16pts if they repeat their first results. I chose WHU because they're currently in that last spot. Maybe another team has an even worse record against their remaining opponents but don't currently have time to check and highly doubt it!

We are in massive trouble. I think the above is far more telling a statistic than where teams are after 25/26 games. We don't need to just keep going, we need to double our points haul against these opponents in the remaining fixtures. I'm not convinced we have the quality for that.

We have won two matches away all season. Our home games see us play 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, 9th, 10th and 14th. So one team in bottom half.

The odds are stacked so heavily against us.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Football doesn't work like this, though. Form varies between home / away, time of season, injuries, etc. There's no reason we should be afraid of any of these teams at VP:

• Wolves - 4 wins out of 13 away games
  • Sheffield Utd - 4 wins out of 13 away games
  • Man Utd - 3 wins out of 12 away games
  • Arsenal - 2 wins out of 13 away games
  • Palace - 3 wins out of 13 away games
  • Spurs - 2 wins out of 12 away games

We have a string of very winnable games coming up, which sound scary because (besides Man Utd) we've done badly at their place, and some of them are "big clubs". But home advantage is a real thing, and we should definitely be aiming to beat all of these teams.

I think this also shows how important draws away from home are.  We haven’t been able to grind out enough points away from home.  

I agree all of those games mentioned are winnable though.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

If we repeat every result against our remaining opponents we get a disturbing 8 points. I think that puts in to perspective our predicament. That includes a point against Man Utd and three against the now rejuvenated Everton.

To further put that in to the overall picture, West Ham would get 16pts if they repeat their first results. I chose WHU because they're currently in that last spot. Maybe another team has an even worse record against their remaining opponents but don't currently have time to check and highly doubt it!

We are in massive trouble. I think the above is far more telling a statistic than where teams are after 25/26 games. We don't need to just keep going, we need to double our points haul against these opponents in the remaining fixtures. I'm not convinced we have the quality for that.

We have won two matches away all season. Our home games see us play 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, 9th, 10th and 14th. So one team in bottom half.

All true but, this team is different to the one that started the season. Let's see what this team can do. 

13 hours ago, roonst83 said:

Agree. Last weekend’s result worried me on many levels. None more than the fact we didn’t match a team below us for their desire, fight, hunger and application. We were much the second best team and it was unacceptable. Almost like we didn’t expect them to be up for it. I’m always worried when our fans are confident of a good performance and I should know better myself but I didn’t see us losing and we got outplayed. 

We can’t afford a drop in level like that again and need to fight and scrap for every point. We have shown that on our day and when it matters we can stand up to the task so we need to take that into the last thirteen cup finals. 

To be fair there’s not much between the two teams so when you take in to account home advantage and the fact if they lost we would be 5 points above them it really was a must win for them. Were the roles reversed I reckon we would have beaten them too. 

We’re pretty reliant on our home form keeping us up this season. The odd point away might help but I’m looking at all our remaining home games as games we need to win. Do not underestimate the power of a full house Villa Park totally behind the team.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Southampton & Watford’s hypothetical return for their remaining fixtures is as bad, if not worse, than ours.

• Like 1

These views can be skewed either way...

On 31st dec 2019, we were played 20, 18 points.

We needed 22 points from the last 18 games, with 54 points to play for - just over 40%. 

So far, after 5 league games in 2020, we have picked up 7 from 15 - just under 50%. Carry that on we will be comfortably safe.

The key stat, of all the ones listed, is that we have 6 home games left, against teams that perform worse than average away from home.

We HAVE to capitalise on these matches, and that makes the home support all the more important.  If we don't stay behind the players, the advantage that teams get from being at home becomes a disadvantage. Those teams that normally struggle away, no longer have as big an obstacle to overcome.  We let this happen and we will get relegated.

Stay positive, it wont kill you

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Southampton & Watford’s hypothetical return for their remaining fixtures is as bad, if not worse, than ours.

Interesting that you should choose Southampton in this example. Do you see them as rivals for relegation? I think not - they have the same points as Arsenal, so you are drawing the net wide if you include them!

JFYI, Southampton would get 20 points from their remaining fixtures and Watford 9.

And Brighton would get 10 and Bournemouth 12.

Haven’t bothered with Norwich because I think they are down whatever.

I’m not sure @jackbauer24’s analysis is meant to predict our future results - it’s not really that precise - but it is interesting in highlighting how badly we have done against teams outside the current bottom 6 and how much better we need to do for the remainder of the season. Certainly, using his method, we are in a worse position than any of our rivals who have a shout at staying up, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1