Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

I still think we need to get to 40 points so need 15 more. 3 wins and 6 draws or 4 wins and 3 draws. With way, have to get them from half our games. Going to be tough. We will have to beat one of the so-called big boys at home and improve our away form. 

34 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Wonder if these matches will be on today.

I was thinking the same but Sheffield United have confirmed match on and this is normal Manchester weather, so assume both will be on.

53 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Wonder if these matches will be on today.

3 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Man City v West Ham has been postponed. Shame that. Them facing Liverpool and City back to back would've crushed them.

Wonder when these games get re-arranged for, same time our Sheffield United game will be?

Eh. Whats going on? Weathers not that bad is it??

1 minute ago, Junxs said:

Eh. Whats going on? Weathers not that bad is it??

They’ve said it’s for Supporter and Staff safety. Imagine it’s more the danger of all the cars or potential for someone to get injured on way to or from the game than the game conditions themselves?

I wonder if the style of football has an impact at all. Not that I really think City would be scared of West Ham but the wind would certainly be a better advantage to West Ham than City.

on the other side, Sheffield United v Bournemouth goes ahead and similarly I would imagine the wind plays more into The Blades’ hands and will impact the style of Bournemouth’s play more (even if they have lost a lost of that style this year!)

16 hours ago, useless said:

Even if we'd have played Tottenham already and beaten them, I still would have taken a Brighton win over a Watford win. Doesn't matter now anyway, as they've drawn, which is probably the best possible result for us, the last thing we needed was to go into the Spurs game needing to win to climb out of the bottom three, takes some pressure off us, but hopefully we see this as an opportunity and really go for the three points anyway.

On the flip side you could argue we actually do a little better when we're in the bottom 3 and know we have to start winning games.

We went into the bottom 3 after losing at home to Southampton, we won the next game (Norwich).

Same at Burnley after losing to Watford.

1-1 draw at Brighton we were 18th and then dramatically won v Watford.

Whereas many times this season we've been hovering in 16th or 17th and can never seem to string wins from that position.

Probably important we're not 18th going into the last day though as my heart wouldn't survive a final day like that.

Ultimately it dosen't seem like a season where we'll just string three straight wins together and move comfortably clear of the bottom 3. A run like that would keep us up given the games are running out. We haven't done it all season so just don't think we're good enough and will have to stay up with 4 point hauls from two games on three occasions I think.

15 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I've been at it again:

https://www.worldfootball.net/table_calculator/eng-premier-league/

Screenshot 2020-02-08 at 20.07.03.png

Although the very last result you have to enter was West Ham vs. Aston Villa and I couldn't quite bring myself to predict anything but the win we needed.

100 quid to VT if Bournemouth get 5 points or fewer in the run in....virtual handshake O.B.E? 😉 Given the way season has gone wouldn't shock me if they got at least a draw at Sheffield United today, Newcastle went and won there not so long ago.

Bournemouth also got home games left v Newcastle, Palace and Southampton. Think they'll get at least 5 points from those three games.

While it won't help them to stay up I think Norwich will be closer to 30 points than 20 at end of the season. They're not that bad, just naive at the back at this level but think with the pressure off I can see them winning a few home games in the run in. Could certainly beat likes of Brighton and West Ham in the run in which would greatly help us.

32 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Man City v West Ham has been postponed. Shame that. Them facing Liverpool and City back to back would've crushed them.

Wonder when these games get re-arranged for, same time our Sheffield United game will be?

Won’t be as City will have another rearranged game due to the cup final

32 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Pearson with 2 points from the last 12.

A couple of weeks ago his impact was being hailed as what a no nonsense Manager can achieve.

Anyone would think there’s more than one way of winning, aswell as losing.

Watford still have tough run in....home games v Liverpool, Man. City, Leicester and aways v Arsenal, Chelsea and Man. United. That's half their fixture list left and they will have to outperform us by two points.

Would make life so much easier if they just lose all those games but we know this season it's nowhere near as simple.

Does mean they'll be huge pressure on them to win majority of the six pointers they have left. They did over xmas but can see them stumbling in a few in the run in.

25 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Ultimately it dosen't seem like a season where we'll just string three straight wins together and move comfortably clear of the bottom 3. A run like that would keep us up given the games are running out. We haven't done it all season so just don't think we're good enough and will have to stay up with 4 point hauls from two games on three occasions I think.

The good news is...

...Outside the top 6 it’s only been achieved once all season, a 3 game winning run by Watford.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Surely West Ham-Man. City will be played next weekend? Makes more sense than trying to put it in a midweek somewhere given Man. City still in all competitions.

Not sure they’ll want to risk another Klopp style public argument

The form of the bottom 11 sides since Christmas ( 7 games) is interesting..

Saints 13

Watford 11

Villa 10

Arsenal 8

Burnley, Bournemouth, Brighton 7

Norwich, Newcastle 6

West Ham 5

Palace 4.

Obviously all predictions are flawed, but here’s where we’d be after 32 games *( another 7) if each maintains this form.(*  33 games for Palace Brighton and Watford, so we’d have these points plus a game in hand)

10 Saints 44

11 Arsenal 39

12 Burnley 38

13 Newcastle 37

14 Villa 35

15 Watford 35

16 Brighton 34

17 Palace 34

18 Bournemouth 33

19 West Ham 29

20 Norwich 24

Edited by terrytini

Palace !

Won 1 of last 11.

cliche time....” there’s always a side that drops like a stone from December onwards and gets sucked in”

They were seventh at the beginning of December.

Edited by terrytini

Palace will be fine I think. Their next 4 games are Newcastle, Brighton, Watford, Bournemouth.

After that it gets hairy so if they get 4 points or less from those games then we can revisit them being a contender but for now they have got a 6 point gap and 4 favourable games coming up.

Undoubtedly in awful form but have also got draws at both Arsenal and Man City in that spell. Kind of results that keep you up. That said though despite their next 4 games, they've done pretty poorly against other bottom half teams so maybe they could get dragged in

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Palace will be fine I think. Their next 4 games are Newcastle, Brighton, Watford, Bournemouth.

After that it gets hairy so if they get 4 points or less from those games then we can revisit them being a contender but for now they have got a 6 point gap and 4 favourable games coming up.

I agree, although if they lose those games to our/their relegation rivals then they are right in the thick of it. We probably need Palace to win those games as I think Palace should be able to crawl across the line anyway.