Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

If spurs haven't won an away game for two months, and only won 2 out of 12 away games, its perfect timing for villa to do a villa and give them the win.

May as well find their only striker who hasn't scored for over 9000 years as well and play him, whomever it is they will probably score the winning goal.

Such is the villa way.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

If spurs haven't won an away game for two months, and only won 2 out of 12 away games, its perfect timing for villa to do a villa and give them the win.

May as well find their only striker who hasn't scored for over 9000 years as well and play him, whomever it is they will probably score the winning goal.

Such is the villa way.

Haha this genuinely always seems to be the way. **** sake, let's just get a win.

On 11/02/2020 at 06:54, villalad21 said:

Since Ancelotti took over Everton is 2nd on the form table.

Must say i'm a little surprised. I knew he was an elite manager but i didn't think it would go so fast.

Wins: Burnley (H), Newcastle (A), Brighton (H), Watford (A), Palace (H)
Draws: West Ham (A), Newcastle (H)
Defeats: Man City (A), Liverpool Under 12s (A)

I certainly wouldn't say he's done a bad job. But 6 games against shite, 1 against an average side and 1 against a reserve team, 5 wins is about absolute minimum acceptable I would say.

If you look on any football forum, you'll see fans of other clubs saying pretty much the same thing about their team, truth is that every game day you're going to get players across the country scoring after having a spell without goals, and teams winning to end winless runs, we're not cursed it happens to everyone, and we ourselves will have done it to other teams in various ways.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Such is the villa way.

I don’t think actually is the Villa way. Villa fans just say it all the time after it happening a handful of times.

I’m sure people said it about Norwich who hadn’t won for 5 games when they came to play us... and lost.

Someone probably said Maupay was bound to score against us as he hadn’t scored in 7 games when they played us, but he didn’t.

I remember before we played Newcastle that a few people commented on how that Almiron hadn’t scored a single goal for Newcastle since he signed for them, so how he was obviously going to score against us.. he didn’t.

etc etc etc

I think it’s just part of the self-deprecating gallows humour that football fans often have.

You’ll always hear people saying “oh, if your striker needs a goal, play Villa!”... but actually, it’s bollocks.

Edited by Rob182
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Rob182 said:

You’ll always hear people saying “oh, if your striker needs a goal, play Villa!”... but actually, it’s bollocks.

I've seen fans from literally every team from Man City to Bristol City say the same thing. It's all confirmation bias.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Wins: Burnley (H), Newcastle (A), Brighton (H), Watford (A), Palace (H)
Draws: West Ham (A), Newcastle (H)
Defeats: Man City (A), Liverpool Under 12s (A)

I certainly wouldn't say he's done a bad job. But 6 games against shite, 1 against an average side and 1 against a reserve team, 5 wins is about absolute minimum acceptable I would say.

You can only beat what's in front of you.

There is no such thing as easy games in this league.

31 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

And yet you use this stick to beat Smith. That he hasn't beat a big team yet. 

Apart from palace (we still to play them at home) Smith has beat all of those sides that ancelotti has beat.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Which he hasn't.

The Liverpool loss is arguably the most embarrassing loss in England this season. A season in which Southampton lost 9-0 at home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Such is the villa way.

Ho ho. Will actually probably be a defender who’s never scored before, then Spurs will have a man sent off & hang on for the win. 🙁

10 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

It shows just how badly we invite pressure onto ourselves.

Look how much further Burnley and Southampton press up

I'd imagine the use of long-balls plays a part too. If Burnley hoof the ball straight upto their midfield/forwards, then possession is often going to be contested in that area. Then, if possession is lost in that area and they have fairly lumbering defenders who are bypassed by a pacy team, does that mean that because the opposition find themselves in Burnley's box without a defender in sight, there is essentially no 'defending' happening in those areas in those instances.

That graphic is slightly less worrying now we play with three centre backs, you'd expect more defending to be in and around the box, but we're utilising an extra centre back to clear the danger. What concerns though is that we;ve only been playing that formation since the turn of the year, if that graphic is for the entire season then it says we were still defending deep with a back 4, and as has been pointed out, indicates the midfield is a problem area. There's clearly a lack of high pressing or ability to consistently keep hold of the ball, which invites pressure.

Like others have said, I think that stat is mostly indicative of how poor we are at keeping the ball in the midfield, and how often we get penned into our own box because we can't hold the ball once we win possession. The lack of composure in the middle is our biggest issue IMO, much more than needing a new striker. If we can control possession, we have enough weapons to score regularly. A top level CM would transform us as a side.

Just Breaking that Man City have been BANNED from the Champions League for 2 years due to financial irregularities.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/feb/14/manchester-city-banned-from-champions-league-two-seasons-ffp-uefa

Manchester City banned from Champions League for two seasons

Ban starts next season and City also fined €30m (£25m)

• Club found to have misled Uefa over Etihad sponsorship

Manchester City have been banned from the Champions League for the next two seasons by Uefa and fined €30m (£25m) after they were found to have seriously misled European football’s governing body and broken financial fair play rules.

The severity of the ban from both of Uefa’s elite club competitions, and the scale of the fine, reflects how seriously Uefa’s FFP compliance bodies consider the club to have breached the rules and code of conduct.

City were found guilty by Uefa’s Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) of having falsely inflated their sponsorship revenues, when they made submissions for the FFP compliance process. The guilty finding follows an investigation sparked by the publication of “leaked” emails and documents by the German magazine Der Spiegel in November 2018.

The “leaked” emails and documents appeared to show that City’s owner, Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan of the Abu Dhabi ruling family, was mostly funding the huge, £67.5m annual sponsorship of the City shirt, stadium and academy by his country’s airline, Etihad. One of the leaked emails suggested that only £8m of that sponsorship in 2015-16 was funded directly by Etihad, and the rest was coming from Mansour’s own company vehicle for the ownership of City, the Abu Dhabi United Group.

FFP, introduced in 2011 with the aim of encouraging football clubs across Europe not to overspend on players’ wages, restricts the amount club owners can put in to cover losses. Sponsorships boost revenues and therefore the amount that clubs have to spend under FFP, so the perception that Mansour himself was in fact funding the Etihad deal led to the serious allegation that City had deceived Uefa’s CFCB, which is responsible for ensuring compliance with FFP.

City have vehemently denied wrongdoing throughout, and denounced the Spiegel coverage as based on “leaked or stolen” materials taken out of context. Spiegel anonymised their source as “John”, who was quoted saying that he had not hacked computers to obtain the emails. Shortly after their publication, he was identified as a Portuguese national, Rui Pinto, who has now been charged in Portugal with 147 criminal offences, including hacking and other cybercrimes, which he denies. The charges relate only to Portuguese football clubs and other organisations, not to the “leaks” of City’s or Uefa’s emails.

When City were charged last May, the club vehemently denied any wrongdoing, saying that they had been subjected to a “hostile” process which ignored “a comprehensive body of irrefutable evidence”. City are considered certain to appeal against Uefa’s verdict to the court of arbitration for sport.

I was having an argument with an idiot on Facebook a couple of days ago about why we couldn't spend money like Man City.

"But if they are Rich like they say they are then we can spend money, either they are lying or don't want to... how did Man City do it...money, that's how "

Anyway i'm guessing Pep is about to decide that "The time is right for a new challenge".

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN