Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just Breaking that Man City have been BANNED from the Champions League for 2 years due to financial irregularities.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/feb/14/manchester-city-banned-from-champions-league-two-seasons-ffp-uefa

I was having an argument with an idiot on Facebook a couple of days ago about why we couldn't spend money like Man City.

"But if they are Rich like they say they are then we can spend money, either they are lying or don't want to... how did Man City do it...money, that's how "

Anyway i'm guessing Pep is about to decide that "The time is right for a new challenge".

I guess technically we could do what City did and be hit with a 24million pound fine and banned from European football for two years....

Pros outweigh the cons on that one surely? 

Tho does this means even if we lose the cup final we are in Europe next season? 

3 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I guess technically we could do what City did and be hit with a 24million pound fine and banned from European football for two years....

Pros outweigh the cons on that one surely? 

I've always thought the spot goes to who's placed outside the Europa league places when it comes to losing finalists. Could be wrong. EL spot definetely goes to FA runner up if the winner has already qualified through the league. League cup, not so sure. My guess, nothing's changed on our end. We win we qualify, we don't and it probably goes via the league 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

European spot goes to the winner.

If the winner is already in Europe (or banned as in this case) the spot goes to the highest league finishers outside.

• Like 1

Im not expecting that we’ll benefit from this by getting a European place if we lose. But, if there’s any possibility that this will unsettle some of City’s players then I’m all up for that. Will the likes of De Bruyne and Aguero want to stay at City without European football? 

9 hours ago, sne said:

European spot goes to the winner.

If the winner is already in Europe (or banned as in this case) the spot goes to the highest league finishers outside.

Hope we don't gift the dingles another season in Europe!!

14 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Im not expecting that we’ll benefit from this by getting a European place if we lose. But, if there’s any possibility that this will unsettle some of City’s players then I’m all up for that. Will the likes of De Bruyne and Aguero want to stay at City without European football? 

I'm hoping it will at least deflate them a bit and give them less appetite for our final.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Elton said:

A lot of journalists now saying Premier League will give Man City a points deduction for this season as compelled to act after UEFA’s decision.

I suppose a 50 point deduction is too much to ask for?

European champions Saracens were relegated from the Guinness Premiership.  Does the FA have the 'minerals' to do the same?

1 minute ago, New_Hope said:

European champions Saracens were relegated from the Guinness Premiership.  Does the FA have the 'minerals' to do the same?

Some talk the EFL make teams start in League 2, if relegated in these circumstances. It wouldn’t be all bad for them though, at least then Phil Foden would have found his level.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, New_Hope said:

They didn't have the minerals to even look at it until UEFA intervened and now they can't ignore it and have to do *something*.

They'll take 9 points off them and leave them comfortably in the Top 4 if there's any chance City have their ban overturned or they appeal it into oblivion for the year.

If it looks like it will be upheld then they might give a more impactful token gesture, 15-20 points to leave them comfortably mid table 

Arsenal upwards are out of it anyway really.

Newcastle and Palace realistically should be too. Play each other and have an easy run of fixtures for 3 or 4 weeks both. If one of them has a disaster they could be pulled into it. 

But this should be a Brighton, Bournemouth, Us, West Ham, Watford and Norwich show now really.

25 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Arsenal upwards are out of it anyway really.

Newcastle and Palace realistically should be too. Play each other and have an easy run of fixtures for 3 or 4 weeks both. If one of them has a disaster they could be pulled into it. 

But this should be a Brighton, Bournemouth, Us, West Ham, Watford and Norwich show now really.

We’ve won one more game than Arsenal. If they hadn’t had so many draws they’d be in real trouble.

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

We’ve won one more game than Arsenal. If they hadn’t had so many draws they’d be in real trouble.

Agreed, just think they've accumulated enough points already that short of a disaster they'll be safe. They still have Spurs, City and Liverpool to play so they could fall apart but they have a lot of winnable games.

Home Games against: Newcastle, West Ham, Watford and Norwich

Away games to Us, Brighton and Southampton.

They get enough points even if they lose a few of those and still have some tight games against the likes of Everton, Wolves and Leicester too

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Agreed, just think they've accumulated enough points already that short of a disaster they'll be safe. They still have Spurs, City and Liverpool to play so they could fall apart but they have a lot of winnable games.

Home Games against: Newcastle, West Ham, Watford and Norwich

Away games to Us, Brighton and Southampton.

They get enough points even if they lose a few of those and still have some tight games against the likes of Everton, Wolves and Leicester too

Oh I totally agree, I just mean they’re pretty lucky really. Half of those draws turning to losses and they’d be just above us. They’re safe short of disaster like you say.