Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

No team in the history of league football will have recorded the same results against each team home and away, as things change throughout the season, we've moved Grealish into a position where he's much more affective and dangerous in the premier league, changed formation which has seen an improvement in results, and signed four new players. Of the teams we've played twice so far, we've lost to and beat Watford, drew with and beat Brighton, lost twice to Man City, drew with and beat Burnley, and beat Norwich twice, if you include the league cup we've had a win, loss and a draw against Leicester this season as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Interesting that you should choose Southampton in this example. Do you see them as rivals for relegation? I think not - they have the same points as Arsenal, so you are drawing the net wide if you include them!

JFYI, Southampton would get 20 points from their remaining fixtures and Watford 9.

And Brighton would get 10 and Bournemouth 12.

Haven’t bothered with Norwich because I think they are down whatever.

I’m not sure @jackbauer24’s analysis is meant to predict our future results - it’s not really that precise - but it is interesting in highlighting how badly we have done against teams outside the current bottom 6 and how much better we need to do for the remainder of the season. Certainly, using his method, we are in a worse position than any of our rivals who have a shout at staying up, 

No, I don't, I just thought I'd chose two teams who were doing very poorly at the start of the season, and coincided to having an upturn in form around the turn of the year, just to (try to! )exemplify that the early season form doesn't mean we'll do the same in the last 3 months.

I'm surprised at Southampton's hypothetical return. They really did turn their season around spectacularly.

Watford is an interesting one. They're 1 point behind us (I think), and if they were to repeat their previous fixtures (9 points) they would finish on the same points as us. Is that right? :o

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To be fair there’s not much between the two teams so when you take in to account home advantage and the fact if they lost we would be 5 points above them it really was a must win for them. Were the roles reversed I reckon we would have beaten them too. 

We’re pretty reliant on our home form keeping us up this season. The odd point away might help but I’m looking at all our remaining home games as games we need to win. Do not underestimate the power of a full house Villa Park totally behind the team.

I hear what you're saying but for two teams where there was "not much between" we were by far second best, which was what worried/worries me. Agree about our home form being where we're aiming to get points and a full VP can help, but we have some very tough teams coming to VP and need to be picking up points away, too. If we suffer a loss against Spurs then that puts more pressure on Saints. Lose to Saints as well then that doubles the pressure on our next home game etc. I guess my point about the Bournemouth game worrying me was I expect much better form ourselves, especially after two recent good results against Watford and Leicester in the cup. 

• Like 1

I've done the predictor and only given Villa 2 wins including against an already relegated West Ham on the last day. We don't go down. In fact we can't go down on the last day!

The only team i've got us down to beat is Palace at home but i think we'll draw quite a few starting with Spurs.  Norwich, Wet Spam & Watford will go down with Bournemouth escaping despite losing on the final day. Here's hoping anyway but we're not the only ones with a tough run in! UTV

I think we need 3 wins and 3 draws to stay up, I think we'll probably do it too and the results might be surprising. On the face of it we're relying on at least one better squad performing worse than we do. The wheels might well be falling both Watford's and West Ham's respective wagons though, which bodes well for us. 

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

No, I don't, I just thought I'd chose two teams who were doing very poorly at the start of the season, and coincided to having an upturn in form around the turn of the year, just to (try to! )exemplify that the early season form doesn't mean we'll do the same in the last 3 months.

I'm surprised at Southampton's hypothetical return. They really did turn their season around spectacularly.

Watford is an interesting one. They're 1 point behind us (I think), and if they were to repeat their previous fixtures (9 points) they would finish on the same points as us. Is that right? :o

I might wake up in the night screaming “I got those figures wrong” but assuming I am right, yes , the Watford thing is true.

Although as I said, this has no predictive power.

Edited by briny_ear

52 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

So we only win one game between now and the last game of the season and yet we go into that game safe?

I'll have some of whatever you're smoking please

Yep that's the way it works out and I don't even smoke!!! 8 draws if I remember right!!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Yep that's the way it works out and I don't even smoke!!! 8 draws if I remember right!!

We aren't really a draws sort of team, which is a good thing. Generally either win or lose. Thats one thing I like about Smith. 

5 hours ago, turvontour said:

We aren't really a draws sort of team, which is a good thing. Generally either win or lose. Thats one thing I like about Smith. 

I wouldn't mind a few more draws. We've managed to pick up points in 11 of our 25 matches with only 4 draws and 14 losses. Turn three of those losses into draws and we'd all be al ot more comfortable right now.

7 hours ago, VillaHatesMe said:

I wouldn't mind a few more draws. We've managed to pick up points in 11 of our 25 matches with only 4 draws and 14 losses. Turn three of those losses into draws and we'd all be al ot more comfortable right now.

Then you'd also turn a few wins into draws. Agree with Turvontour 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

58 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Since Ancelotti took over Everton is 2nd on the form table.

Must say i'm a little surprised. I knew he was an elite manager but i didn't think it would go so fast.

Man you’re obsessed with Ancelotti.  When Pearson took over he got them to the top of the form table as well and that was without a 500 million pound squad. 

Pearson - what an elite manager!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Elton said:

I don’t really see the issue with these supposed ‘difficult’ teams at home. Man U/Arsenal/Spurs/Chelsea etc are as poor as they have been for years and Sheffield United might finish above all of them. Absolutely nothing to fear. In fact I think I’d rather play that lot over most of our direct relegation rivals.

I’m not saying we’ll beat them all but I’d say we have an equal chance of a win against almost any of our home opponents that we have left. None are easy but none are especially tough this season either. We’ve played the best 3 away teams already, the rest aren’t that special.

These are the kind of teams that we need a 12th man for. Their players aren’t up for a fight and their away stats prove this. We should be looking to get points from all 4 of these games. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Since Ancelotti took over Everton is 2nd on the form table.

Must say i'm a little surprised. I knew he was an elite manager but i didn't think it would go so fast.

I blame Smith, it's his fault Villa are shit and it's his fault Ancelotti is an elite manager who has made Everton go so fast. Actually, come to think of it, Smith is also in the running as the main culprit for me needing a dump this morning - he should have motivated me to go before I left the house.

• Haha 2

in that time everton have played arsenal, burnley, brighton, Newcastle x 2, west ham, Watford, palace and lost to city

its almost like the owners knew an easy stretch of games was coming up and got a new man in for the bounce 🤔

add to that Everton were never as bad as silva made them out to be, Ancelotti has got them to 7th challenging for a EL spot, pretty much where you would expect them to be

• Like 1

the PL want the man city v west ham game rescheduled for the 19th, means they would have to cut short their winter break

not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, if west ham got a result there then obviously its an awful decision, especially if pep does a klopp