Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Maybe Smith will want more goals from the wingers. Similar to how Mane and Salah both bang in goals whilst playing on the flanks. Firminho normally the one in the middle but tends to link up the play more. 

Edit: I think both mane and salah were seen as wingers when Liverpool signed them. 

Good point. I'm beginning to suspect that Deano has A Cunning Plan. 

• Like 2

I don’t really see us playing this season with wingers in the traditional sense. Brentford didn’t really play that way under Smith and they didn’t cross the ball all that much.

Last season I think we did this more because of Tammy but I think we will see the wide players operate more as forwards than wingers this season.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I don’t really see us playing this season with wingers in the traditional sense. Brentford didn’t really play that way under Smith and they didn’t cross the ball all that much.

Last season I think we did this more because of Tammy but I think we will see the wide players operate more as forwards than wingers this season.

Agreed. Inside forwards. The decision to get defensive full backs is starting to make sense now, as we’ll be narrow and vulnerable to wide counters.

1 hour ago, Biskitt said:

I think the sort of player we are crying out for is a Rashford, Son, Richarlison etc type player. Not a winger as such, more a pacy wide forward who can play across all of the forward positions (including striker). Not saying someone on their level (as that's unlikely), just that type of player. No idea who though!

48 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Trezeguet can do that 

That's exactly what I think he's been signed for. Genuinly think he's been signed to be just as much a roaming striker as a winger 

nakamba is on strike apparently trying to force a move to us. thoughts on this? benteke did it when signing for us then **** off first sniff of a bigger club. it says something about their character and personally i can't stand it...he better be good

6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

nakamba is on strike apparently trying to force a move to us. thoughts on this? benteke did it when signing for us then **** off first sniff of a bigger club. it says something about their character and personally i can't stand it...he better be good

He was treated pretty badly by the manager last season so I think that has something to do with it.

16 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Benteke gave us 3 years of top football and has been a loyal servant to our club. He never '**** off' at the first sniff of a bigger club, he moved to work with Jurgen Klopp at one of the biggest teams in the world.

No one can blame him for that.

**EDIT

Klopp actually joined 3 months after Benteke went to Liverpool (my mistake) but the point still stands - no one can blame Benteke for wanting to move on from scraping relegation for 3 consecutive years. 

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

As well as what @Mic09 said above, wasn't Benteke close to leaving one year (possibly to Spurs?), but Lambert talked him into staying?

I think he left at 2nd or maybe 3rd sniff.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

Bale is on 600k+ a week. Best case scenario you’d get him for us 300k a week on a 4 year contract. That is a 60m+ contract. Add on an additional 30m for extra wages when all existing players form a line asking for a rise.

For that reason I wouldn’t take him on a free. Far better off putting that money in a younger player who would want less wages and see them appreciate in value.

Agreed.

It's much better value to spend that £60m on 3 Brentford players :rolleyes: 

I imagine this is where Real Madrid realised they were going wrong. :lol:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Benteke gave us 3 years of top football and has been a loyal servant to our club. He never '**** off' at the first sniff of a bigger club, he moved to work with Jurgen Klopp at one of the biggest teams in the world.

No one can blame him for that.

**EDIT

Klopp actually joined 3 months after Benteke went to Liverpool (my mistake) but the point still stands - no one can blame Benteke for wanting to move on from scraping relegation for 3 consecutive years. 

Loyal servant?

He wanted out after 12 months and in the end he took a payrise instead to stay.

That was after he went 'on strike' to force the move to us in the first place......I'm not sure why he's been on strike for the past 2+ years though.......

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Agreed.

It's much better value to spend that £60m on 3 Brentford players :rolleyes: 

I imagine this is where Real Madrid realised they were going wrong. :lol:

I think we’ve got very good value on our buy from Brentford this Summer (Konsa)

• Like 1

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think we’ve got very good value on our buy from Brentford this Summer (Konsa)

So do I, but in the parallel universe where Villa have a chance of signing Gareth Bale on 300k a week, I think it's madness to think that the £60m would be better spent on a few young players.

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Loyal servant?

That was after he went 'on strike' to force the move to us in the first place......I'm not sure why he's been on strike for the past 2+ years though.......

he wanted out in his first interview from his car from what i remember! maybe it was his poor english but i definitely remember him indicating using us as a stepping stone

25 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

He was treated pretty badly by the manager last season so I think that has something to do with it.

wasnt aware of that, if so then fair doos

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Loyal servant?

To be fair to him we were crap! Couldn't really blame him for wanting out.

In his three seasons we finished:

2012-13 - 15th - Benteke top goalscorer

2013-14 - 15th - Benteke top goalscorer

2014-15 - 17th - Benteke top goalscorer

He pretty much kept us in the PL for 3 consecutive seasons

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

To be fair to him we were crap! Couldn't really blame him for wanting out.

In his three seasons we finished:

2012-13 - 15th - Benteke top goalscorer

2013-14 - 15th - Benteke top goalscorer

2014-15 - 17th - Benteke top goalscorer

He pretty much kept us in the PL for 3 consecutive seasons

Maybe so but I'm not having it that he was 'loyal'.

Don't forget we gave him his big break when no-one had heard of him as well.

Well what if people do use us as a stepping stone?!

Almost all the players would jump ship if a bigger club came in and offered a bigger stage and more money.  There are very few that would stay ie Jack.

Most of these players don’t come from The Villa area, aren’t Villa fans and we don’t live in a hot, scenic city that is the envy for the world.

i’d rather see a player who saw us as a stepping stone rather their last fat contract.  This means they are likely better than what we have, have to stay with us for a couple of years and are going to have to perform exceptionally to get the next club.  All to our advantage.

yes I would love players that are completely loyal to Villa as we are but it’s not realistic. Getting in young, hungry, quality players in is the right way and yes they’ll leave us at the first chance they can.  Up to Villa to become a massive team again to match their desires.

• Like 2

Just now, wilko154 said:

West Brom about to sign Romaine Sawyers from Brentford for £3 million.

Would have taken a punt on him as backup to Grealish if we had stayed in the Championship.

Would it be worthwhile in the PL?

3m, surely you mean 20m?

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

nakamba is on strike apparently trying to force a move to us. thoughts on this? 

It doesn't bother me in the slightest. 

Edited by villa89