Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Mendez will place Leao where it suits Mendez. He will call it ‘managing his development’ but it just means ensuring a new negotiating position arises for a transfer when the player outgrows the club (within 1 or 2 years) so his management gets the fat fee.

Without getting above our station, with the money and clout we now have, we can likely hang on to any player we sign, and they will sign on under a 4 or 5 year contract reducing the need for a renegotiation.  This will preclude Mendez onward managing a fat signing on fee for his agency.

Edited by thunderball

8 minutes ago, thunderball said:

We played 4-4-2 second half today. Why?

Did We?

I though we played a front 3 of RHM, Wesley and Hogan.

Looked that way to me, Hogan drifted right a lot and RHM drifted left and left inside a lot.

4 minutes ago, thunderball said:

They’d get fit in any formation. Smith hasn’t played 4-4-2 with us before. Interesting when it might suit Wesley with Maupay alongside him?

Think we’d really struggle in a 442, you’d lose the effectiveness of Jack or McGinn 

With us seemingly after Douglas Luiz as well, I’d say it would be very unlikely we’d play 442. 

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

We played 4 3 3 all the time last season because we had to really. I think we'll be more tactically flexible this season. Too predictable otherwise.

Can't see us playing a 4 man midfield though tbh (in the traditional 442 sense), it's too much of an antiquated formation that gets overrun with modern teams.

I could see us doing 433, 4141, 4231 and maybe even some form of a 532/5311/3511 or something.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Well with Mendes now involved the small chance we had of signing Leao is all but gone IMO ( if we were ever even in for him ) Destined for Wolves or Valencia .... 

There was a thread for all the Rafael Leao stuff but it seems to have disappeared?!

22 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

We are sitting waiting to see what happens and if Leao is a no go, Maupay will arrive.

This is what I’ve been thinking as well (maybe not Leao) but if Maupay was our preferred first option he would already be ours surely?! 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Can't see us playing a 4 man midfield though tbh (in the traditional 442 sense), it's too much of an antiquated formation that gets overrun with modern teams.

I could see us doing 433, 4141, 4231 and maybe even some form of a 532/5311/3511 or something.

Agree fully with this, our recruitment has lots of formation options but glaringly lacks that out and out striker

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, thunderball said:

They’d get fit in any formation. Smith hasn’t played 4-4-2 with us before. Interesting when it might suit Wesley with Maupay alongside him?

Smith is smart to give us that option of two up front. Agree we will likely be getting in an additional forward. I am also looking forward to seeing how Kodjia plays in a two in this team. He might be....wait for it...

Like a new signing? :)

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why is it? If we start creating threads for every players we want to see at the club the forum will be full of them.  Don’t you think?

Ive always admired Harry Kane and I once saw a tweet that we were interested. 

Can I open a thread? 

Wooa..  opening a thread based on a player I/we have on a wish list. That is one hell of a statement.  You obviously never read the thread in great detail?

FWIW, it makes no odds to me wether Rafael signs or master splinter signs! - It was a thread because we have a bid on the player.

If anything, it's you making more of a fuss over the player joining or not joining.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why is it? If we start creating threads for every players we want to see at the club the forum will be full of them.  Don’t you think?

Ive always admired Harry Kane and I once saw a tweet that we were interested. 

Can I open a thread? 

Yes, if that tweet was from a credible source, or you had some other persuasive reason for believing the rumour was true... no, if neither apply. Point being, you are not the sole arbiter of what is worthy of discussion on this board. 

2 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Yes, if that tweet was from a credible source, or you had some other persuasive reason for believing the rumour was true... no, if neither apply. Point being, you are not the sole arbiter of what is worthy of discussion on this board. 

There’s a site guideline on sources for transfer speculation. Twitter numpties are not to be used.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

What credible source has there been that we are linked to this player? 

Also who’s stopping you or anyone else talking about him in this speculation thread. Knock yourself out mate if it makes you happy. 

Plus the mods have closed it so I guess they agree with me ;)

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

9 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Wooa..  opening a thread based on a player I/we have on a wish list. That is one hell of a statement.  You obviously never read the thread in great detail?

FWIW, it makes no odds to me wether Rafael signs or master splinter signs! - It was a thread because we have a bid on the player.

If anything, it's you making more of a fuss over the player joining or not joining.

All I said was it ain’t happening. Why are people looking for an argument 🤷🏼‍♂️