Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

I think Sawyers is one of the most underrated players in the Championship, I'd have him in the squad over Lansbury. Percy does say that other clubs are interested, however he'll be 28 in a few months so I doubt we'll be in for him.

12 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

West Brom about to sign Romaine Sawyers from Brentford for £3 million.

Would have taken a punt on him as backup to Grealish if we had stayed in the Championship.

Would it be worthwhile in the PL?

In the Championship - definitely. 

Other plans for Prem though... 

26 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

So do I, but in the parallel universe where Villa have a chance of signing Gareth Bale on 300k a week, I think it's madness to think that the £60m would be better spent on a few young players.

Or how about 60m on the transfer fee of an exceptional young player? 

You could realistically get Zaha for transfer fee and wages for the same outlay a - half fit with nothing to prove - bale. 

Which one would you go for?

12 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It doesn't bother me in the slightest. 

Normally it would bother me.

However as mentioned prior didn't Benteke do something similar?

The problem is we don't know if the player might have had a gentleman's agreement with the player and then moved the goalposts.

32 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Would have taken a punt on him as backup to Grealish if we had stayed in the Championship.

Never a PL player IMO.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I don’t really see us playing this season with wingers in the traditional sense. Brentford didn’t really play that way under Smith and they didn’t cross the ball all that much.

Last season I think we did this more because of Tammy but I think we will see the wide players operate more as forwards than wingers this season.

I see us playing in much the same way as Liverpool have under Klopp.

We'll have Wesley as a focal point upfront (playing the Firmino or Origi role), with inside forwards playing off him either side.  As it stands, I see us mainly using El-Ghazi and Trezeguet as our versions of Salah and Mane, with Jota being used a bit like Shaqiri i.e. someone who can come in and play a bit of a free role, offer a clever pass etc, rather than being quite as direct as the other two.

Quality aside, I do question whether El-Ghazi or Trezeguet have the raw pace to play as effectively in those roles, especially in the PL where the fullbacks are so quick.  It's why I think we'll still be looking to sign another pacey inside forward player who can challenge for those spots.  Leao would be ideal, so I can see why - whilst he's a very ambitious target - so many are hopeful we're in for him.

44 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Or how about 60m on the transfer fee of an exceptional young player? 

You could realistically get Zaha for transfer fee and wages for the same outlay a - half fit with nothing to prove - bale. 

Which one would you go for?

Bale, personally. Just so that Villa would potentially have one of the Top 10/15 players in the world.

I get why people would go for someone like Zaha instead of Bale, but that wasn't the point made by the person I was quoting. The alternative suggested was to get a few young players. I don't consider a 26-year-old Zaha to be a young player that you could buy a few of.

Bale is one of the best players in the world, and would be close to being the best player in the Premier league. If we get him he'll single-handedly make sure that we not only avoid relegation but comfortably finish mid-table at least. For what it's worth, I don't think there's any chance whatsoever of him signing for us.

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

Must be £17m of add-ons then.

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

I can't remember how reliable he is, think he got a few things right previously. Probably just posting after John Percy though...

He is hopeless that guy. gets a 1000 phone calls and texts a day by sound of it

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He is hopeless that guy. gets a 1000 phone calls and texts a day by sound of it

Yet weirdly when tweeting a "done deal" he hasn't been wrong yet. 

I'd be willing to bet he is announced today on a 4 year deal. 

Don't know why, but I have a feeling that we're not even interested in Nakamba. Nothing to do with his so-called strike I'm sure there's more to that story. Smith said in a recent interview that there's a lot players that have been mentioned in the press that we haven't even considered and I think this might be one of them.

6 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Yet weirdly when tweeting a "done deal" he hasn't been wrong yet. 

I'd be willing to bet he is announced today on a 4 year deal. 

Going through his tweets the last 2 he said was Joelinton to Newcastle that was nearly a week ago and he also said Celtic have had a bid accepted for Romaine Sawyers who is about join Baggies. 

I dont trust the guy

16 minutes ago, useless said:

Don't know why, but I have a feeling that we're not even interested in Nakamba. Nothing to do with his so-called strike I'm sure there's more to that story. Smith said in a recent interview that there's a lot players that have been mentioned in the press that we haven't even considered and I think this might be one of them.

TBH I hope we're not.  But the on-strike thing does lend itself to something more than just idle speculation.  Assuming he IS on strike ... he wouldn't do it based on twitter rumour.  It's possible we might have been interested at one point and moved on to Luiz, but we'd have told his agent that, so he'd know we've moved on.  It's a weird one.  But he's not doing himself any favours going on strike.  Marvellous only in name, if that's the case.

Anyone else feel we will break our transfer record again this summer ...... I personally believe we will for poss one of the following Phillips (though reckon we’ve moved on) Leao - ( dream but very unlikely we are even in for him ) or maybe Butland ... Knowing the way we do our business if we do it will be out of nowhere and the player not linked .... Thoughts 

Edited by thabucks