Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

10 minutes ago, skarroki said:

As a discussion point and not suggesting it could / would happen. IF Bale leaving Madrid meant we had a chance to bring him in on loan for a season, would you sign him?

Absolutely not.

1 hour ago, skarroki said:

As a discussion point and not suggesting it could / would happen. IF Bale leaving Madrid meant we had a chance to bring him in on loan for a season, would you sign him?

In a heartbeat...  Even with his injury problems, he's still one of the top 10 players in the world and would singlehandedly win games for us.  Bale is still an absolutely phenomenal player and can play at a top level for another 3-5 seasons.  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

Davis looks good, but does he look like scoring... not as yet... i want him to score and kick on but until he does looking good is not enough.

Heskey made a career out of not scoring so it shouldn’t be a problem

After watching the match yesterday I still think we need more goals in the team particularly from the wide players.

Smith has played either 433 or 4141 throughout his time at Villa. Both formations needs the two wide forwards / wingers to have a big goal threat. Both of these formations have just one striker. Wesley seems to have been bought with that role in mind. I don't think Wesley is going to score enough goals on his own this season - certainly nowhere near Tammy's 26.

Yesterday we tried Davis in the central role which is surely his natural position rather than one of the wide roles he played in the US. In the central role Davis looks great except for when you consider his goal threat. He really didn't look like he could play the wide role. I like Davis but he should go on loan and hopefully smash some goals in and build up his confidence and goal scoring know how.

I thought Hepburn Murphy looked promising in the wide role yesterday but still very raw. He showed some nice skill and pace at times but his decision making, end product and defensive contribution weren't always the best. I think he would benefit from another loan spell.

El Ghazi can play the wide role although he needs to kick on from last season. He can put in crosses, move the defensive line back because of his pace, beat his man, do the defensive cover and have a goal threat but he needs to do these things more consistently in the PL. He is currently our best option for one of the two wide roles.

Green looks like he needs another loan spell as he really doesn't show enough to make up for his lack of experience. He looks better on the left hand side coming inside to shoot on his right foot. There is something there but we don't see enough of it.

Kodjia is probably the best finisher at the club (although Wesley is very dangerous from crosses which we were good at putting in last season). However, he is a shocking team player who even when he brings goals (which he has struggled with to some extent since his nasty ankle injuries) takes away from the team for much of the time. I would sell Kodjia if we got a decent offer for him.

Jota has looked like a good buy but I am not sure how much of a goal threat he will offer in the PL. I think he might be able to cover for Jack or cover for a wide role.

Hogan - doesn't look good enough - considering he had the best spell of his career under Smith, Dean hasn't been giving him that many opportunities to recover that form for Villa. Perhaps Dean pulled a fast one on Villa when he was at Brentford! I think he needs to be sold.

So for me I still think we need at least another winger / wide forward maybe two. Personally based on the youtube evidence I have seen, I would still much prefer Benrahma to Trezeguet. Trezeguet's highlights didn't really do it for me but that is not a very good way to judge a player as I thought Tonev was going to be amazing based on his! I would only really want Leao if he could play one of the wide forward roles. I'd be happy for some other options as well.

• Like 2

@mallett Agree we need more forward options.

We were one of the top dogs in the Championship, but the Premier League are mainly stronger: either much better and more sophisticated in offence, or solid defensively, or both. We have to change our tactics as we won’t be to solely rely on our offensive play.

Smith plays possession football, but we are competing with the best, and I expect us to be tighter in midfield so maybe not play so wide so often. Targett and Guilbert look good additions, both better defensively and can put in an offensive cross.

I think Douglas Luiz is key to flexibility, it wouldn’t surprise me to see us play 4-1-3-2, 4-1-3-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 (if we do sign Nakamba) or even 5-3-2 with Mings or Konsa overlapping into a midfield. This might suggest that we don’t play with wide players as often as we did last season but rely on a tight midfield combo of ball players with Wesley linking the attack and a striker (Maupay) running off him looking for space, and the full backs providing the midfield overload.

Leao could play there and add also width in a 4-3-3 if we revert to that, but I honestly don’t think El Ghazi is good enough for this level a week in week out, I hope I am wrong, but this why I don’t think we intend to play as a 4-3-3 this season, I think we would have seen that Green/Adomah replacement arrive early and pres-season to progress on that basis, but it hasn’t.

I think we are trying for Leao and it is unlikely to happen, if we fail I think we will get Maupay. I also think Nakamba might arrive to allow Luiz to be more flexible/roaming while he holds the middle.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, skarroki said:

Who wouldn't and what's the point in discussing it? (it's never happening in a million years, so it's pointless)

Edited by praisedmambo

I think the sort of player we are crying out for is a Rashford, Son, Richarlison etc type player. Not a winger as such, more a pacy wide forward who can play across all of the forward positions (including striker). Not saying someone on their level (as that's unlikely), just that type of player. No idea who though!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Biskitt said:

I think the sort of player we are crying out for is a Rashford, Son, Richarlison etc type player. Not a winger as such, more a pacy wide forward who can play across all of the forward positions (including striker). Not saying someone on their level (as that's unlikely), just that type of player. No idea who though!

Hopefully Leao.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Biskitt said:

I’m with you on this. Having two wingers is great if you have a striker who’s going to get you 15 goals a season. Wesley doesn’t seem to be that person so we need a hard working striker who’s comfortable on the ball and happy to cut in from one of the wide positions. 

The Brentford lads on here might correct me, but I think Maupay can operate in that role and seems to fit the bill in that he’s hard working, knows Smith, is young and has an eye for goal. 

Goals are the main concern at the moment. 

27 minutes ago, Biskitt said:

Trezeguet can do that 

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m with you on this. Having two wingers is great if you have a striker who’s going to get you 15 goals a season. Wesley doesn’t seem to be that person so we need a hard working striker who’s comfortable on the ball and happy to cut in from one of the wide positions. 

The Brentford lads on here might correct me, but I think Maupay can operate in that role and seems to fit the bill in that he’s hard working, knows Smith, is young and has an eye for goal. 

Goals are the main concern at the moment. 

Maybe Smith will want more goals from the wingers. Similar to how Mane and Salah both bang in goals whilst playing on the flanks. Firminho normally the one in the middle but tends to link up the play more. 

Edit: I think both mane and salah were seen as wingers when Liverpool signed them. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa