Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

9 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I don’t think any of those are holding midfielders. Perhaps for the odd game McGinn and Hourihan could fill in. Lansbury we don’t even know if he’s fit, let alone capable. At least one DM is needed in my opinion, a good back up too if possible. 

OK - say we buy Philips and he gets a long term injury - what would we do ? - We don't have Jedi or Whelan - so my guess Connor would be next up ?

Or maybe we shuffle up the pack with Doyle Hayes, O'Hare - not that they would play DM - but they might form part of the midfield.

My overall point is that IMO we will go into this season with some holes in the squad - probably like a few clubs around the bottom of the PL

I like Steer and think his passing is a huge part of our play but obviously the jury is out on him in the Prem.  I think I'd rather buy Heaton as competition for about £7m than Butland for what they're asking.  I'm just not convinced Butland is the right keeper for us and at a whopping price like that we would feel we have to play him no matter what.  If we can sell Kalinic for roughly what we pay for Heaton, even better.

I'd be delighted with Tuanzebe back on loan and Hegazi for £8m at centre half.  I think Axel is good enough to be an option at DM too if needed.  With the money we save from not signing Butland it would give Smith that extra bit to ensure Phillips comes if he is his first choice.  I've not seen much of him though.

Then we can spend up to £10m on Trezeguet and get a loan to buy on another striker.  That's no more than £40m on 6 players which seems a reasonable spend.

7 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

We've spent close to £80m when taking into account full fee's with add on's.

I'm genuinely baffled how people can think we can continue at this rate and add another 4-5 players at those sort of values. Do people really think we are going to spend £180m this summer? Seriously?

Yes the club have said they want to sign young players, on loans they've not said they don't want them they've said they don't want to develop other peoples players without the option to sign them. Very very different statements.

I don't think loans have ever been off the agenda but they will only be done in the right circumstances for us.

I agre on loans, in our position it would be foolish to ignore that market just for the sake of it. I agree that as a "big" prem club we won't be developing other people's players, but we're not quiiite there yet. We need to stay humble in this regard.

6 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I like Steer and think his passing is a huge part of our play but obviously the jury is out on him in the Prem.  I think I'd rather buy Heaton as competition for about £7m than Butland for what they're asking.  I'm just not convinced Butland is the right keeper for us and at a whopping price like that we would feel we have to play him no matter what.  If we can sell Kalinic for roughly what we pay for Heaton, even better.

I'd be delighted with Tuanzebe back on loan and Hegazi for £8m at centre half.  I think Axel is good enough to be an option at DM too if needed.  With the money we save from not signing Butland it would give Smith that extra bit to ensure Phillips comes if he is his first choice.  I've not seen much of him though.

Then we can spend up to £10m on Trezeguet and get a loan to buy on another striker.  That's no more than £40m on 6 players which seems a reasonable spend.

I don't know - and can not back this up - but I just get a feeling that Butlands value is plummeting 

The fees we (reportedly) ended up spending on Wesley, Targett and Mings is probably 1 quality player less we'll be ably to buy this window.

We paid way over the odds for these 3 and it will mean we'll have to adjust our other targets and possibly strategy a bit.

Hopefully it will be worth it, we all wanted Mings back.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I agree with you. 

On the face of it Trent I’d also agree. However I believe that NSWE take the view that overspending in regards to FFP is a lesser evil than entering the season with a weak squad. They’ll have looked into it and may have come to the conclusion that the chances of a points deduction is pretty low and so is less relevant than not giving Smith and co. the players required. 

I also think their ambitions aren’t to merely stay up this year. They want to arrive back with a bang, much like Wolves did last season. Also I’m not sure of the numbers, but for every position we finish higher in the league we get quite a chunk more money. The maths may say, spend an extra £30m and we’ll get half of it back if it pans out. Finishing higher by spending now also makes us a much better proposition for next seasons summer window. 

All conjecture of course. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

You are free to think whatever you like to be honest. 

However if it’s that we can keep spending £20m a time on players and still add the 4-5 most would agree we need then I think you are wildly wrong.

Not necessarily 20m each although we may have to. But we're going to spend way over 100m all told. Possibly over 150m. I hope we don't, and that we have some smart bargains lined up. But its not playing out that way so far is it? The priority is to get enough players in to make a squad. If we can no longer do that because we've blown our budget, that would be very silly indeed. Therefore I can only assume we have budgeted for it.

We might fill in the cracks with cheap signings. Doesnt seem many of those about though unless we are going loan market. Meh, we'll see.

Given what we've spent, and still have to get in - my views.....

GK - Butland preferred, reckon we'll go for Heaton as he'll likely be £15m cheaper

CB - I still think we want 2, and can see us going for at least 1 of Cahill or Tuanzebe (loan) to save fees, maybe even both. Reckon the other could be someone I've never heard of.

DCM - definitely need one of these in my view. Phillips, or again someone I've never heard of due to fees.

RW - see above, but Benrahma. That Trezuget fella might be the more cost-effective alternative.

CF - If Maupay is now £15m, we should be all over it. He could also possibly save us buying a winger, as he can play there. 

That's 5 or 6 more, and I can't believe we still have £100m+ available to spend, so a loan or 2, or maybe a Cahill starts to make a lot more sense for me.

• Heaton, Axel, Cahill, Maupay and a foreign DCM might only require £35m in fees.
  • Butland, Konsa, Webster, Phillips, Benrahma, Maupay (to grab some names being banded about) might require £120m of fees.

I'm a little bit worried that we're buying a lot from the Championship, and possibly Brentford, but in Deano I trust.

2 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Not necessarily 20m each although we may have to. But we're going to spend way over 100m all told. Possibly over 150m. I hope we don't, and that we have some smart bargains lined up. But its not playing out that way so far is it? The priority is to get enough players in to make a squad. If we can no longer do that because we've blown our budget, that would be very silly indeed. Therefore I can only assume we have budgeted for it.

We might fill in the cracks with cheap signings. Doesnt seem many of those about though unless we are going loan market. Meh, we'll see.

We will spend over £100m we won't spend over £150m or as high as that in my view.

I'd argue we have signed some bargains, Jota and Targett for example. The issue is the number of players we've signed and need to sign.

We shall see how it pans out soon enough.

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

We've spent close to £80m when taking into account full fee's with add on's.

I'm genuinely baffled how people can think we can continue at this rate and add another 4-5 players at those sort of values. Do people really think we are going to spend £180m this summer? Seriously?

Yes the club have said they want to sign young players, on loans they've not said they don't want them they've said they don't want to develop other peoples players without the option to sign them. Very very different statements.

I don't think loans have ever been off the agenda but they will only be done in the right circumstances for us.

Ok fully understand.  

I look at it that we’ve spent probably more like 60-65m pre add ons and likely to probably spend the same again in my opinion.  The add ons come over time (seasons) and only if we are successful, which in itself breeds more money.  The owners seem to have money to spend so the restriction is Fair Play rules and I’m assuming CP knows what he’s doing.

We are being linked with players that cost bigger money and seem to have plenty of legs in regards to Butland and Philips.  There seems to be reliable sources on Webster as well and I don’t believe that was an either or on Ming’s.  It just seems that we are still going to spend a fair chunk more before the window closes.

i do take your point though, I just can’t see in the current situation after what the club said and the reliably linked other players that we are going to spend less as you describe.

i am though generally always wrong with transfers over the last forty years so I’m probably way off base as usual.

6 minutes ago, sne said:

The fees we (reportedly) ended up spending on Wesley, Targett and Mings is probably 1 quality player less we'll be ably to buy this window.

We paid way over the odds for these 3 and it will mean we'll have to adjust our other targets and possibly strategy a bit.

The market has changed - I don’t believe we have paid over the odds. We’ve just paid the going rate

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QldVilla said:

I thought the exact same thing and was about to write then thought, why would we loan someone we've already loaned, yes a buy out clause, but we already know we want him, why wouldn't we just buy upfront.

We still very well could do once they arrive back from Pre-season tour.

All this "he's signed a contract, get over it" talk is complete nonsense. - People obviously forget Fabian Delph.

If Man Utd do not want to sell him now then we take the loan - but insist we have a right to buy at the end too.

We have already done Man Utd a favour for 18 months, now it's time we started dictating a little.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

1 minute ago, VillaCas said:

The market has changed - I don’t believe we have paid over the odds. We’ve just paid the going rate

£22m for the guy who finished jointed 10th in Belgium scoring league on 10 goals, 3rd highest in his team?

£20-25m for Bournemouth's 5th choice CB who was unwanted at the club?

£15m or something for Targett who's only been a bit part squad player in his career?

These are not the going rates 

Think we got fleeced big time, clubs know we are desperate and in the case of Wesley it must be that we had to inflate his value to get a WP.

That sum makes no sense otherwise.

They can all still end up being great buys mind.

Just now, sne said:

£22m for the guy who finished jointed 10th in Belgium scoring league on 10 goals, 3rd highest in his team?

£15m or something for Targett who's only been a bit part squad player in his career?

Think we got fleeced big time, clubs know we are desperate and in the case of Wesley it must be that we had to inflate his value to get a WP.

£22m for one of the hottest prospects in Europe these last 2 years. A player Lazio, Milan, Newcastle, West Ham and Arsenal have scouted.  Lazio came very close to signing him for £15m 2 years ago. We have paid £7m more in a much more inflated market. 

£20m for one of the biggest reasons we are in the PL right now. Did you not watch him for us? Put it this way if Mings was our player would you be happy letting him go for £20m?

£11m for one of the best young English left backs in the top flight 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Hard to disagree with this. 

But I do trust in the club, and if the money we're spending isn't an issue for the club, then a few million here and there shouldn't matter. 

16 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

We will spend over £100m we won't spend over £150m or as high as that in my view.

I'd argue we have signed some bargains, Jota and Targett for example. The issue is the number of players we've signed and need to sign.

We shall see how it pans out soon enough.

I am not sure Trent. I still think we could see us reach close to the £150m mark (there or thereabouts).

As long as we have purchased sensibly then I do not really mind what we spend as long as we are fully equipped for the season.

• Like 1

Posted this before but our average spend per player so far is £10.5million roughly and all have the potential to be sold for more than what we paid if they pan out. I think by the end of the window this average will be around the same ... We could spend £20mill on Phillips, £8 mill on Santamaria and £3mill on Baylis and £10million on Trezeguet... that’s £40mill odd on 4 players of £10mill average. I believe the above is realistic based on links to date and that’s 10 player for just over £100million. Given us say for arguments sake £40mill tops for a GK DC & St. Heaton  @ £7mill Maupay @ £16.5mill @£12 mill for a DC. Add into the mix frees and loans.....

Edited by thabucks