Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

4 minutes ago, omariqy said:

£22m for one of the hottest prospects in Europe these last 2 years. A player Lazio, Milan, Newcastle, West Ham and Arsenal have scouted.  Lazio came very close to signing him for £15m 2 years ago. We have paid £7m more in a much more inflated market. 

£20m for one of the biggest reasons we are in the PL right now. Did you not watch him for us? Put it this way if Mings was our player would you be happy letting him go for £20m?

£11m for one of the best young English left backs in the top flight 

If those things were true I'd agree.

Not sure they are thou.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

If those things were true I'd agree.

Not sure they are thou.

More qualified people than you who have proven themselves at identifying players think that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, hippo said:

OK - say we buy Philips and he gets a long term injury - what would we do ? - We don't have Jedi or Whelan - so my guess Connor would be next up ?

Or maybe we shuffle up the pack with Doyle Hayes, O'Hare - not that they would play DM - but they might form part of the midfield.

My overall point is that IMO we will go into this season with some holes in the squad - probably like a few clubs around the bottom of the PL

Not a hole in such an important position. You can never truly legislate for injuries, but surely you can’t not buy players in case they get injured. Good quality first choices with as much cover as possible for as many positions as possible is the aim generally I’d have thought? 

33 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

Given what we've spent, and still have to get in - my views.....

GK - Butland preferred, reckon we'll go for Heaton as he'll likely be £15m cheaper

CB - I still think we want 2, and can see us going for at least 1 of Cahill or Tuanzebe (loan) to save fees, maybe even both. Reckon the other could be someone I've never heard of.

DCM - definitely need one of these in my view. Phillips, or again someone I've never heard of due to fees.

RW - see above, but Benrahma. That Trezuget fella might be the more cost-effective alternative.

CF - If Maupay is now £15m, we should be all over it. He could also possibly save us buying a winger, as he can play there. 

That's 5 or 6 more, and I can't believe we still have £100m+ available to spend, so a loan or 2, or maybe a Cahill starts to make a lot more sense for me.

• Heaton, Axel, Cahill, Maupay and a foreign DCM might only require £35m in fees.
  • Butland, Konsa, Webster, Phillips, Benrahma, Maupay (to grab some names being banded about) might require £120m of fees.

I'm a little bit worried that we're buying a lot from the Championship, and possibly Brentford, but in Deano I trust.

So far we’ve only bought one player from the Championship and none from Brentford. 

No one knows how much we've spent as all the fees are undisclosed, also no one knows how the payment of the transfer fees have been structured. For all we know with Wesley we might only be be paying the full £22m if he meets certain criteria like getting a cap for Brazil, scoring so many goals, helping us to surivive, I remember MysteryMan on here saying that we only paid £12m for Darren Bent, and the rest was made up of clauses.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Not a hole in such an important position. You can never truly legislate for injuries, but surely you can’t not buy players in case they get injured. Good quality first choices with as much cover as possible for as many positions as possible is the aim generally I’d have thought? 

You can't legislate for injuries is true. Wolves got away with essentially the same 11 and a few fringe players. I don't think we're a million miles apart. Patricio 8 CS in 37 and cost them points with some absolute howlers. The CS were against junk teams mostly so I rate Steer 6 CS in 16 highly relatively. 

I watched Heaton come back from injury last season. He's shit. Wouldn't go near him

Edited by Kiwivillan

10 minutes ago, thabucks said:

On a world where Solanke & ings are £20mill players £22mill on Wesley is fair value. He may be a balaban or a Benteke but to say we overpaid before he kicked a ball is not fair. We won’t know the value of our signings for at least a season that’s what I’m not to fussed about the reported individual price tags. It’s what we get overall for our outlay in terms of squad strengthening and depth that really matters. 

If we can take off and have a really good season with a top 10 finish and maybe 1 or 2 England call ups then we might look back and see that we have actually paid peanuts for this squad and it could be worth 10 fold..

I am not worried about the price tags of anyone now that i've came to accept that the money has gone daft in football - as long as it keeps going daft, Mings should be worth about £90m after a solid Euro 2020.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Do people really think we are going to spend £180m this summer? Seriously?

As much as I've tried to tell him otherwise, my son has this naive view that because promotion was worth £170m, it follows that we will spend £170m on players 😂

I think our interest in Heaton, may lead to Stoke being slightly more realistic in the fee they want from us for Butland. I suspect that there won't actually be that big a gap between the prices asked for the two keepers, so I hope that Butland remains our primary target. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sne said:

£22m for the guy who finished jointed 10th in Belgium scoring league on 10 goals, 3rd highest in his team?

£20-25m for Bournemouth's 5th choice CB who was unwanted at the club?

£15m or something for Targett who's only been a bit part squad player in his career?

These are not the going rates 

Think we got fleeced big time, clubs know we are desperate and in the case of Wesley it must be that we had to inflate his value to get a WP.

That sum makes no sense otherwise.

They can all still end up being great buys mind.

“Fleeced big time” - to say that you need to believe that Purslow, Pitarch and Smith are helpless saps who’ve been outwitted by the big boys - Bruges, Bournemouth and Southampton.

I choose to believe that they’ve identified the players they need and gone and got them at the market price

Also we’re far from “desperate”  - we’re weeks away from deadline day yet and need to sign probably 5 more - many prem clubs could be signing that number. 

The idea that we’ve voluntarily hugely inflated the price of Wesley to get a WP is a) laughable and b) fictional

Things have changed massively since we were last in the PL - prices are through the roof and average players are fetching high prices

2 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

“Fleeced big time” - to say that you need to believe that Purslow, Pitarch and Smith are helpless saps who’ve been outwitted by the big boys - Bruges, Bournemouth and Southampton.

I choose to believe that they’ve identified the players they need and gone and got them at the market price

Also we’re far from “desperate”  - we’re weeks away from deadline day yet and need to sign probably 5 more - many prem clubs could be signing that number. 

The idea that we’ve voluntarily hugely inflated the price of Wesley to get a WP is a) laughable and b) fictional

Things have changed massively since we were last in the PL - prices are through the roof and average players are fetching high prices

Were do you think our current squad even with these acquisitions places itself in the PL?

I'd say we are very much desperate and clubs know it.

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I like Steer and think his passing is a huge part of our play but obviously the jury is out on him in the Prem. 

I got halfway through this sentence and thought he'd died!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2