Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

5 hours ago, Dave-R said:

How many of you want Tom Heaton at Villa, i do not understand the move for the keeper anymore than I understand the move for Cahill if by any chance they do join. I thought the idea of Smith's plan was to bring in quality young stars, not older players, it's abit baffling and only reason I can think of is to fill the squad more untill better pops up.

I would much rather Villa pay the extra for Butland than bring Heaton in, surely Heaton reflexes arnt as good as Butland. I also think Butland would be much better for Steer, feel that Steer could thrive off chasing Butland more because he will offer him more of a challenge.

Maybe it's me and I'm thinking to much into it, I'm just not feeling Heaton and would rather give Steer the no1 till January if that's the case.

I wouldn't mind him.  Keepers are a different nut than outfield players. They can often play until their late 30s and tend to get better with experience. 

That said I wouldn't oppose Butland either, but 7 million for heaton seems a reasonable price 

2 hours ago, QldVilla said:

Don't know about this, Purslow and Smith were quite adamant in the interview after the play off win that they would not loan any further players, to improve them and send back to their clubs for them to cost more. The only way I see Tuanzebe at Villa is a permanent move.

Man Utd are a shambles, the manager will probably be sacked before Christmas. It would be great to do a deal for Tuanzebe, as they have poached some of our best players over the past 20 years.

If I was CP then any loan I would insist on inserting a buyout clause at the end making the deal permanent. - £30m should be enough imo.

I agreed they have turned into a joke of a club and I think Wee Olë will be out on his arse by Cristmas.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Except that Pitarch and Smith were in Egypt to watch (ostensibly) him over the weekend.

Of course they were. Got to add to the other 20 players the transfer sites said we are signing

I’m a little tentative about Heaton, sole reason being that I’m always tentative about pulling a player from a successful system and planting them in a different one. Both Heaton and Pope kinda came out of nowhere and cemented themselves as quality keepers, but they did it behind the same resolute, organised Burnley defence that restricted oppositions to a lot of low percentage chances. I can’t help but think that’s made them look better

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

If I was CP then any loan I would insist on inserting a buyout clause at the end making the deal permanent. - £30m should be enough imo.

I agreed they have turned into a joke of a club and I think Wee Olë will be out on his arse by Cristmas.

I thought the exact same thing and was about to write then thought, why would we loan someone we've already loaned, yes a buy out clause, but we already know we want him, why wouldn't we just buy upfront.

2 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I thought the exact same thing and was about to write then thought, why would we loan someone we've already loaned, yes a buy out clause, but we already know we want him, why wouldn't we just buy upfront.

Because we don't have endless money?

• Like 1

If we get Heaton in I think that there'll be a real chance of Steer becoming number one. I'm really not convinced that Heaton is much better, if better at all, than Steer. 

On the subject of Axel. I don't think he'll start for Manure this season and that the deal was just given to him to guarantee they get a fee for him when he goes. But, if their interest in McGinn is true then I reckon the only way they'd sell Axel to us is as part of a deal taking SJM to Manure, and that wouldn't appeal to any of us, surely? 

I would take Axel on a season-long loan again though. Problem is, our bosses have said they're not interested in doing such deals anymore, unless there's chance to make it a permanent move at the end. 

I honestly hold out hope that we can get Tuanzabe and Abraham back on loan. I don’t see an issue with the loans of those two players given we’ve already had them - they’re in positions we need and will give continuity from last season. We can’t buy in every position we need this year, it would be too expensive, this delays too important signings until next summer. 

GK - Butland (loan to buy) 

CB - Tuanzabe (loan) 

DM - Phillips (20m)

DM - Hayden (10m) 

RW - Benrahma (15m)

LW - Trézéguet (loan to buy) 

ST - Abraham (loan) 

I doubt we’ll get 7, but I honestly think that Green needs to be loaned, hence another winger needed and we need two DM’s as if say Phillips gets injured we can’t be playing Houihane or Lansbury in that position without being murdered! 

Axel makes perfect sense, perversely even more so on loan. 

Considering just how much money we have left to fill some gaping holes a free quality addition could be perfect, especially with the fact he adds another level of consistency to the team.

We can deal with his departure next year once the rest of the team are bedded in.

No.1 choice for me!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

I honestly hold out hope that we can get Tuanzabe and Abraham back on loan. I don’t see an issue with the loans of those two players given we’ve already had them - they’re in positions we need and will give continuity from last season. We can’t buy in every position we need this year, it would be too expensive, this delays too important signings until next summer. 

GK - Butland (loan to buy) 

CB - Tuanzabe (loan) 

DM - Phillips (20m)

DM - Hayden (10m) 

RW - Benrahma (15m)

LW - Trézéguet (loan to buy) 

ST - Abraham (loan) 

I doubt we’ll get 7, but I honestly think that Green needs to be loaned, hence another winger needed and we need two DM’s as if say Phillips gets injured we can’t be playing Houihane or Lansbury in that position without being murdered! 

There’s no chance we get Abraham back. With Higuan and Morata leaving Chelsea are now left with only Giroud, Batshuayi and Abraham.

Its almost the perfect chance for Abraham to show what he’s about with Lampard proven at giving youth a chance.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I actually think for this window we are finished with £20m+ signings. We will be looking at players up to £10m , and maybe free agents - and even loans. 

I agree.

I simply don’t think we are able (able not able to afford) to spend enough to keep paying those sort of fee’s and sign the number of players we need at the quality level we need.

We need to look for some cheaper unknown gems either domestically or abroad. They are out there as we found with Hause and AEG but they are hard to find, even more so as a PL club especially when you’ve spent the money we have.

I also don’t think they’ve a choice but to backtrack on the loans stance. I think we will need to look to add a couple of loan players even if we are developing another clubs player and we have no option to buy.

I think it’s time to be pragmatic and accept in our situation we need short term quality. Personally I’d rather that than sign journeymen or damaged goods like Sturridge on a big contract.

We’ve done well in the market so far but now the really hard work starts and the budget gets tighter.

• Like 3

I think you're all completely making up how much we've got left to spend, and how we'll spend it. And that's fine. Personally, I dont think theres any way we would be spending 20m plus on players if we couldn't keep it going to get who we know we need. 

We don't have to loan players with no option at the end anymore. We can loan players we can have an option on. Im gutted Tuanzebe signed that contract but I understand it. And now its time to walk away. Tammy will get a chance because Chelsea have to give him one. Again, thats fine and I wish him all the best. But we can look at him next year depending on how it goes. Now its time to cast our net further.

However, if its a case of loan players with no option or weak squad, then its the former without hesitation. It would be negligence otherwise.

Edited by Mazrim
  • Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

The thing is we still need a top defensive midfield and maybe another first team centre half. 

They won’t come cheap.

We need to find a couple of McGinn’s I think, we simply can’t keep paying £20m a player and sign the number of players we want. I guess we could perhaps sign two more at that level but then we would have almost nothing left and would be dependent on loans, free’s or sales to fill the remaining spaces.