Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Re: loans, my take on what they said seemed to rule out loans with no fee in place, so we're not developing someone else's player then just handing them back - like Tammy, Axel and Mings (who we then had to pay through the nose for). If we look at AEG and Hause, we got bargains because they were unwanted at the time and we spotted potential. Loaning with a future fee is the best of both worlds, as you take less of a risk when they flop (can hand them back) or if they do well (you don't get fleeced).

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Erick Pulgar is one of Europe's biggest talents isn't he? Not sure he'd be interested in moving to Brum and a relegation fight? We're a big club, but is it a realistic transfer? 

We're not going to be in the relegation mix. This negativity is ridiculous. We aren't the team that got relegated. We don't have dinosaur Bruce at the helm. There are some absolute junk teams in the PL. This negativity is tough to bear

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Smith knows him and, more importantly, Maupay wants to play for Smith again. Unless I made that last bit up in my head.

He said in January he wouldn't be opposed to linking up with Smith again. Sounds along the lines of come get me

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I do not know a thing about the player but going by you three chaps and your comments I would sooner we took a punt on someone like him than be fleeced a rumoured £30m for Phillips.

Many of us have said it. There are a plethora of hidden gems out there for unbelievable prices.

Get in there son...

Very much in the corner of those that say loans are still acceptable, so long as there is a reasonable option to buy... I wouldn't want to commit to £30m right now for Axel at the end of a loan. That's just my opinion based on natural worrying. 

Edited by Raver50032
Saving a spammage
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Erick Pulgar is one of Europe's biggest talents isn't he? Not sure he'd be interested in moving to Brum and a relegation fight?

100% agree with you that he will not be signing for Birmingham City.

16 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

We're a big club, but is it a realistic transfer? 

I would say very much more than what it would be for Birmingham City.

57 minutes ago, sne said:

Were do you think our current squad even with these acquisitions places itself in the PL?

I'd say we are very much desperate and clubs know it.

Of course we’ve got business to do, as have many clubs. Ive no doubt that we will have a competitive squad by the start of the season and don’t see us as “desperate” at all. There are hundreds of clubs with thousands of players and many of them will be “desperate” to sell

Wesley has been bought for a similar price to Danny Ings (who has scored 10 goals in two seasons). Dominic Solanke who is completely unproven has moved £20m. It’s just the state of the market. 

Just out of interest, what do you believe a “non-desperate” Club would have paid for Targett or Mings? Say Leicester or Everton. Do you believe they would they have got them for significantly less?

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Re: loans, my take on what they said seemed to rule out loans with no fee in place, so we're not developing someone else's player then just handing them back - like Tammy, Axel and Mings (who we then had to pay through the nose for). If we look at AEG and Hause, we got bargains because they were unwanted at the time and we spotted potential. Loaning with a future fee is the best of both worlds, as you take less of a risk when they flop (can hand them back) or if they do well (you don't get fleeced).

That's my understanding as well, they just said they weren't going to develop other teams players, sure we'd prefer to buy players up front and develop them from there but there's no harm in having a look at a player on loan for a year first as long as we have an option to buy them at the end for a set fee.

It's a system that has worked very well for Wolves the last few years and I'm sure it's not something we are ignoring, like you said we used it to good effect last season with Hause and El Ghazi. The real issue with this system is finding quality players that clubs are willing to offload and happy to let you try before you buy, Mendes has obviously done this very well with his plethora of connections. They are out there, they just take some finding. Agreeing a transfer fee before the loan which suits all parties can be tricky too.

• Like 1

I think we're looking at Plan A signings at this point. Plan B will be the options after Plan A is played out, and will consist of a few more left field options and stocking fillers. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Maybe, I just can’t get my head around the fact that Purslow and Smith categorically stated that they will not be making any loans.

Time will tell.

Think people are placing too much emphasis on this. They said the model of loaning players doesn’t work... I am pretty sure they mean loaning 5 players and having to rebuild again and again. If people think we wouldn’t loan one player if it was the right move then that’s just silly - every club in world football does the occasional loan if it’s the best move.

It’s like me saying I’m on a diet - it’s the best thing, everyone knows it is, I need to eat more healthily, but it doesn’t mean I might not grab a takeaway once a month if it makes sense for a ton of reasons that day. 

Surprised people think this is some hard and fast rule - they just wouldn’t handicap themselves like that. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Of course we’ve got business to do, as have many clubs. Ive no doubt that we will have a competitive squad by the start of the season and don’t see us as “desperate” at all. There are hundreds of clubs with thousands of players and many of them will be “desperate” to sell

Wesley has been bought for a similar price to Danny Ings (who has scored 10 goals in two seasons). Dominic Solanke who is completely unproven has moved £20m. It’s just the state of the market. 

Just out of interest, what do you believe a “non-desperate” Club would have paid for Targett or Mings? Say Leicester or Everton. Do you believe they would they have got them for significantly less?

Both terrible deals don't you agree?

27 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

We're not going to be in the relegation mix. This negativity is ridiculous. We aren't the team that got relegated. We don't have dinosaur Bruce at the helm. There are some absolute junk teams in the PL. This negativity is tough to bear

Its not negativity, its realism mate. Survival is the goal for the bottom 6-8 teams of the prem, and in our first season back we can't be expected to be above that. It is dangerous for us to start expecting more than that at this stage.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

He said in January he wouldn't be opposed to linking up with Smith again. Sounds along the lines of come get me

I am delighted because not only is it a positive that he wants to link up with him again, but also it means that I'm not totally senile at 37. Just got to work on not pissing myself now and I'll be over the moon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sne said:

I like Ings and he’s only 26 - same age as Tyrone and a similar playing record over last few years. Wasn’t his also down to long-term injury?

Solanke I couldn’t tell you a thing about, that does seem a crazy deal.

• Like 1

Just now, Adam2003 said:

I like Ings and he’s only 26 - same age as Tyrone and a similar playing record over last few years. Wasn’t his also down to long-term injury?

Solanke I couldn’t tell you a thing about, that does seem a crazy deal.

Ings if he can stay fit and be first choice might score some goals tbf.

Big if thou.

We've reportedly spent close to £70m and our team doesn't look that much stronger than the one that won the play-off final, if it's stronger at all. Even if we went and signed Webster, Phillips, and Trezeguet i'm not sure that would be enough to turn a team that only just about got promoted last season, to one that would have no relegation worries in the Premier league. We're still feeling the repurcussions of the poor transfer strategy under Bruce, Wyness and Round, if their transfer strategy wasn't so short-term, then we wouldn't have to be building practically a new squad now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sne said:

It’s just the market - very average players are going for what was once big money. But I do agree that on the face of it Wesley is a risk but to me looks a better bet than Ings or Solanke

I trust that Purslow, Pitarch and Smith know what they’re doing and I’m confident that we will have a competitive squad come the start of the season

1 minute ago, VillaCas said:

It’s just the market - very average players are going for what was once big money. But I do agree that on the face of it Wesley is a risk but to me looks a better bet than Ings or Solanke

I trust that Purslow, Pitarch and Smith know what they’re doing and I’m confident that we will have a competitive squad come the start of the season

Yeah, I can't imagine they'd spend that much money unless he was thoroughly scouted, had the right personality and was suited to the way we want to play.

Be exciting to see him play.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, useless said:

We've reportedly spent close to £70m and our team doesn't look that much stronger than the one that won the play-off final, if it's stronger at all. Even if we went and signed Webster, Phillips, and Trezeguet i'm not sure that would be enough to turn a team that only just about got promoted last season, to one that would have no relegation worries in the Premier league. We're still feeling the repurcussions of the poor transfer strategy under Bruce, Wyness and Round, if their transfer strategy wasn't so short-term, then we wouldn't have to be building practically a new squad now.

If you look at our record 

A) under Smith 

B ) With Grealish playing

C) with Mings and Steer

We didn't just scrape promotion we were the best side in the league.

I don't think next season is going to be easy but if we made the additions you mention I think we'd be just fine.

• Like 2