Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It's half crap?

They wish. There are some excellent people there with some terrible people making decisions for them. Lost their prize asset and they've dropped off a cliff. 

28 minutes ago, Smartin said:

How do you steal a house?

House-boat... and maybe... a luxury caravan off Bullseye? 😉

I've never quite forgiven Sturridge for doing his crypto-botic celebration into a group of young fans sat in the Lower Trinity after he scored at the Holte in our 2015-16 raping at home to Liverpool.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Why would it be any different to any other stage in his career?

Always struck me as someone who wasn't all that bothered about the actual game, more the lifestyle. He has certainly missed a lot of football and there have been suggestions in the past he was too willing at times to do so.

I know it sounds silly but the guys got a house in LA, is football really his focus in life? I'm not saying he needs to live the game 24/7 but I just want players who I can have more belief that they are committed.

Hence why it depends entirely on his general attitude and application - I have not followed his career with any particular interest so I really have little to no idea about his general character.

As an outside looking in you could just think he's been unlucky with a series of injuries but I fully appreciate he may have 'other issues'.

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Hence why it depends entirely on his general attitude and application - I have not followed his career with any particular interest so I really have little to no idea about his general character.

As an outside looking in you could just think he's been unlucky with a series of injuries but I fully appreciate he may have 'other issues'.

I guess if it was pay as you play it wouldn't be too much of a risk, no question he has a lot of talent.

34 minutes ago, Smartin said:

How do you steal a house?

Offer some desperate people a lump sum to buy it, with punitive repayments. Then when they can't keep up with them... Boom!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I do not know a thing about the player but going by you three chaps and your comments I would sooner we took a punt on someone like him than be fleeced a rumoured £30m for Phillips.

Many of us have said it. There are a plethora of hidden gems out there for unbelievable prices.

I love a good plethora. Not generally used a plethora of times on these esteemed pages, but a splendid word all the same. A plethora of McGinn type transfer bargains would indeed be Marvellous....wink wink...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Erick Pulgar is one of Europe's biggest talents isn't he? Not sure he'd be interested in moving to Brum and a relegation fight? We're a big club, but is it a realistic transfer? 

I wondered that when I mentioned him a couple of days ago. I guess we would need to bid and make him an offer to find out. It's worth a cheeky enquiry perhaps?;) & we would not suggest that he would be in a "relegation fight" would we? :)

Edited by John

14 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Why would it be any different to any other stage in his career?

Always struck me as someone who wasn't all that bothered about the actual game, more the lifestyle. He has certainly missed a lot of football and there have been suggestions in the past he was too willing at times to do so.

I know it sounds silly but the guys got a house in LA, is football really his focus in life? I'm not saying he needs to live the game 24/7 but I just want players who I can have more belief that they are committed.

In fairness, I can see the appeal for footballers to live/set their family up in an English-speaking, nice place where they don’t have to suffer dogs abuse from the general public day in, day out.

Being barely recognised in LA with loads of money would probably be pretty nice for them and their families. 

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

I am delighted because not only is it a positive that he wants to link up with him again, but also it means that I'm not totally senile at 37. Just got to work on not pissing myself now and I'll be over the moon.

I hope not. I'm 43. If it's any consolation everything starts hurting progressively after 40 

19 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Sturridge has scored 14 goals in the last 3 seasons. That's Gabby esque.

A hell no to Sturridge, not for how shit he is but for that stupid little dance he does.

Dancing like that after only scoring a goal once every blue moon makes him an even bigger dick. Avoid. His head has gone and he is not the Sturridge of the Man City days.  I'd sooner keep Hogan!   😳

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

In fairness, I can see the appeal for footballers to live/set their family up in an English-speaking, nice place where they don’t have to suffer dogs abuse from the general public day in, day out.

Being barely recognised in LA with loads of money would probably be pretty nice for them and their families. 

While playing in the PL?

1 hour ago, Smartin said:

Its not negativity, its realism mate. Survival is the goal for the bottom 6-8 teams of the prem, and in our first season back we can't be expected to be above that. It is dangerous for us to start expecting more than that at this stage.

Rubbish. The bottom half of PL have some junk teams that didn't get relegated last season. I'm expecting mid table finish if not better. Wouldn't surprise me if all 3 promoted teams stayed up

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I love a good plethora. Not generally used a plethora of times on these esteemed pages, but a splendid word all the same. A plethora of McGinn type transfer bargains would indeed be Marvellous....wink wink...

giphy.webp

I see what you did there.  ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

We've reportedly spent close to £70m and our team doesn't look that much stronger than the one that won the play-off final, if it's stronger at all. Even if we went and signed Webster, Phillips, and Trezeguet i'm not sure that would be enough to turn a team that only just about got promoted last season, to one that would have no relegation worries in the Premier league. We're still feeling the repurcussions of the poor transfer strategy under Bruce, Wyness and Round, if their transfer strategy wasn't so short-term, then we wouldn't have to be building practically a new squad now.

It shouldn’t be forgotten/under estimated that the team that won promotion did set a record amount of wins at the end of the season, a feat that the championship winners of the previous year couldn’t match. It was a good team that, because of injuries and players that arrived in January, didn’t really start gelling until February/March time. But then it flew, big time. Yes there are additions to make, improvements to be had, but the core of that team is in place now. It’s a pity we couldn’t get Axel so we’ll have to look elsewhere, ditto Tammy Abraham. So we’ve still got to spend decently on a CB, CDM, and a CF. Ideally a RW/RF as well. And those 4 positions could, admittedly, cost us anywhere between £60-100m if bought outright. But we have the core of a decent 11.