Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

17 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

I honestly hold out hope that we can get Tuanzabe and Abraham back on loan. I don’t see an issue with the loans of those two players given we’ve already had them - they’re in positions we need and will give continuity from last season. We can’t buy in every position we need this year, it would be too expensive, this delays too important signings until next summer. 

GK - Butland (loan to buy) 

CB - Tuanzabe (loan) 

DM - Phillips (20m)

DM - Hayden (10m) 

RW - Benrahma (15m)

LW - Trézéguet (loan to buy) 

ST - Abraham (loan) 

I doubt we’ll get 7, but I honestly think that Green needs to be loaned, hence another winger needed and we need two DM’s as if say Phillips gets injured we can’t be playing Houihane or Lansbury in that position without being murdered! 

I think we need a minimum of 5 with a GK, CB, DM, RW and FW coming in. But I can't see Chelsea loaning Abraham as they only have him, Batshuayi and Giroud for the season. I would go for...

GK - Butland (£15m at the end of the window)

CB - Hegazi (£8m)

DM - Phillips (£20m)

LW - Trezeguet (£10m)

ST - Maupay (£15m + Hogan)

Then we should target a couple of young cheaper players with good potential, such as Tom Bayliss at Coventry.

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The thing is we still need a top defensive midfielder and maybe another first team centre half. 

They won’t come cheap.

At a push I think we can get by without the DM  - not ideal but think we have players who can slot in there. 

3 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I think you're all completely making up how much we've got keft to spend, and how we'll spend it. And that's fine. Personally, I dont think theres any way we would be spending 20m plus on players if we couldn't keep it going to get who we know we need. 

You are free to think whatever you like to be honest. 

However if it’s that we can keep spending £20m a time on players and still add the 4-5 most would agree we need then I think you are wildly wrong.

20 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

There’s no chance we get Abraham back. With Higuan and Morata leaving Chelsea are now left with only Giroud, Batshuayi and Abraham.

Its almost the perfect chance for Abraham to show what he’s about with Lampard proven at giving youth a chance.

I think it depends on whether they get the transfer ban lifted and when. Lampard isn’t really proven as anything except being a great player. He’s had a year of managing Derby, where they didn’t have much choice but to at least develop a chunk of their own academy. With big money available who knows what he may decided to do. Developing players takes time, which is not something Roman Abramovich is particularly well known for giving his managers  

With us, under Smith and co. Tammy knows what he’s getting. Smith is genuinely known as a manager who develops players, he’ll have had first hand experience of this. Lampard could be gone by Christmas, whereas Smith is much more likely to be here long term. 

I still think it’s a long shot, but it could still happen. If of course we want him. 

• Like 1

I think there is one more 20m+ signing left. My guess would be that’s more likely to be Phillips than Benrahma or Webster.

One or two cheaper purchases from abroad - around £10m. 

Another couple to round out the squad, maybe a keeper or Axel on loan.

Maybe another 50m-60m in total. Would take our spending to about £120m.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Which players?

I was about to say the same thing. A DM is the most important buy now. Hourihane was caught out a lot in that position in the Championship. I would dread relying on him all season there! To be fair to him, it's not his natural position.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Mcginn, Connor, Lansbury  - 

Two of them are far too slow. We'd be destroyed. The other has never played there. It would also leave a big gap in his natural position, so we'd have to buy another midfielder anyway.

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

I hear what folks are saying regarding the £20m signings but, surely if we were say willing to pay £15m each for Webster and Butland - £30m combined - we could go say Axel on loan for the season for a fee of say £2m and pay £25m for Butland? Or, buy Heaton for £7m and pay £20m for Webster? 

Even better, bring Axel on loan for £2m, buy Heaton for £7m and get Rafael Leao in for £25m? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I agree.

I simply don’t think we are able (able not able to afford) to spend enough to keep paying those sort of fee’s and sign the number of players we need at the quality level we need.

We need to look for some cheaper unknown gems either domestically or abroad. They are out there as we found with Hause and AEG but they are hard to find, even more so as a PL club especially when you’ve spent the money we have.

I also don’t think they’ve a choice but to backtrack on the loans stance. I think we will need to look to add a couple of loan players even if we are developing another clubs player and we have no option to buy.

I think it’s time to be pragmatic and accept in our situation we need short term quality. Personally I’d rather that than sign journeymen or damaged goods like Sturridge on a big contract.

We’ve done well in the market so far but now the really hard work starts and the budget gets tighter.

Can I ask what makes you think that?

From what I’ve heard from the interviews is that we want to sign young players and we don’t want to loans.

From the outside we haven’t done anything we didn’t know at the time of those interviews.  I’m sure the Wesley deal was in the works. We knew how much Ming’s was likely to cost. Hause and AEG were known values. I assume Targett was on the radar.

What has changed that you believe what you do?

i still think we have some big signings coming along with some unknowns/mid priced signings.  So far nothing unexpected has happened so I don’t know what you think has changed?

surely if the rumours are true on Butland and Philips we knew they were not likely to be 10m players but significantly north of that.  If we thought they were 10m players then as a club and as fans we have a serious issue that the club doesn’t understand the market.  Additionally we know that at the beginning of the transfer window we needed to bring in at least 8-9 players so a plan must have been in a place and I’d be surprised if only 2 of those players were 20m players given our obvious holes in the squad.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Mcginn, Connor, Lansbury  - 

I don’t think any of those are holding midfielders. Perhaps for the odd game McGinn and Hourihan could fill in. Lansbury we don’t even know if he’s fit, let alone capable. At least one DM is needed in my opinion, a good back up too if possible. 

3 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I hear what folks are saying regarding the £20m signings but, surely if we were say willing to pay £15m each for Webster and Butland - £30m combined - we could go say Axel on loan for the season for a fee of say £2m and pay £25m for Butland? Or, buy Heaton for £7m and pay £20m for Webster? 

Even better, bring Axel on loan for £2m, buy Heaton for £7m and get Rafael Leao in for £25m? 

That's pretty much what Trent has said. He didn't say we won't spend another £20m plus, just he doesn't think we can do that sort of money of 5/6 players. 

I agree. 

8 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I think there is one more 20m+ signing left. My guess would be that’s more likely to be Phillips than Benrahma or Webster.

One or two cheaper purchases from abroad - around £10m. 

Another couple to round out the squad, maybe a keeper or Axel on loan.

Maybe another 50m-60m in total. Would take our spending to about £120m.

I agree with you. I'm just not sure if they will do one big signing or not, they might opt to spread that money around a little more.

I totally agree with you other than that and I think that is how it will play out.

I'd personally like us to go:

Jack Butland - £25m

Axel Tuanzebe (loan) - £2m?

Jarrod Bowen - £15m 

Defensive Midfielder - £10m (buy Heaton and Phillips becomes available) 

Bowen would primarily play right-side attack but can also cover the striker role. 

Edit: Just thinking about this. It would give us a side made up largely of players that have primarily played a large amount of Championship level football. But, does anyone think that the team of Butland, Mings, Tuanzebe, Targett, Guilbert, Phillips, McGinn, Grealish, El Ghazi, Bowen, Wesley would get relegated? I dont! 

Edited by Villarocker
  • Like 2

Clubs over the past 3 seasons have spent from 70-100millin in their first summer in an attempt to stay up.  You could argue we are a bigger club than any of the teams that got promoted in recent years so could probably spend even more based on revenue. 

120-150 million spent this summer is maybe not out of the question. A lot of the signings seems to have a lot of addon’s. I wonder if they are related to staying up?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

On Webster, I don't think we were ever looking to pay £15-£20m for him and I'm not entirely sure we ever intended to sign him in addition to Mings I always viewed him as being an alternative option to explore. If we could pick him up as well for say £10m I think we probably would but I don't believe we were ever going to spend £35-40m on the two of them.

Butland is a strange one, there clearly was something solid in that even at a considerable fee. My view though is we can probably do one more big fee, so for instance Mings or Phillips. At any time I think we would be in contact with multiple clubs for multiple players it could well be that we are trying for both with a view to landing one. 

The reports we've switch focus to Heaton over Butland to me suggests we are adjusting targets as we go depending on spend and other deals.

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

On Webster, I don't think we were ever looking to pay £15-£20m for him and I'm not entirely sure we ever intended to sign him in addition to Mings I always viewed him as being an alternative option to explore. If we could pick him up as well for say £10m I think we probably would but I don't believe we were ever going to spend £35-40m on the two of them.

Butland is a strange one, there clearly was something solid in that even at a considerable fee. My view though is we can probably do one more big fee, so for instance Mings or Phillips. At any time I think we would be in contact with multiple clubs for multiple players it could well be that we are trying for both with a view to landing one. 

The reports we've switch focus to Heaton over Butland to me suggests we are adjusting targets as we go depending on spend and other deals.

If that's the case it makes you wonder how much we will spend on a DM. 

Can we get a squad status going? 

Steer/Kalinic/Nyland

LB - Targett, Taylor, Hause

RB - Elmo, Guilbert, Bree

CB - Mings, Hause, Chester

DMC - Hourihane?

CM - McGinn, Grealish, Hourihane, Lansbury, Doyle Hayes (Bjarnason and Tshibola simply aren't worth mentioning)

Wingers - El Ghazi, Jota, Green

Strikers: Wesley, Davis, Kodjia, Hogan, O'Hare, RHM. 

Personally I think we absolutely must sign a CB, DMC, Winger and striker. I'd like an additional defensive utility player as well, but guess I won't get everything. I am alright with Steer going into this season. I know a lot of you aren't, and while I wouldn't have a problem with Heaton or Butland, I think Steer is a pretty solid keeper. Much better than a lot of people give him credit for. 

CB - £ 20 million

DMC - £ 20 million

Winger - £ 10 million

Striker -  £ 10 million

Is this likely? 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Can I ask what makes you think that?

From what I’ve heard from the interviews is that we want to sign young players and we don’t want to loans.

From the outside we haven’t done anything we didn’t know at the time of those interviews.  I’m sure the Wesley deal was in the works. We knew how much Ming’s was likely to cost. Hause and AEG were known values. I assume Targett was on the radar.

What has changed that you believe what you do?

i still think we have some big signings coming along with some unknowns/mid priced signings.  So far nothing unexpected has happened so I don’t know what you think has changed?

surely if the rumours are true on Butland and Philips we knew they were not likely to be 10m players but significantly north of that.  If we thought they were 10m players then as a club and as fans we have a serious issue that the club doesn’t understand the market.  Additionally we know that at the beginning of the transfer window we needed to bring in at least 8-9 players so a plan must have been in a place and I’d be surprised if only 2 of those players were 20m players given our obvious holes in the squad.

We've spent close to £80m when taking into account full fee's with add on's.

I'm genuinely baffled how people can think we can continue at this rate and add another 4-5 players at those sort of values. Do people really think we are going to spend £180m this summer? Seriously?

Yes the club have said they want to sign young players, on loans they've not said they don't want them they've said they don't want to develop other peoples players without the option to sign them. Very very different statements.

I don't think loans have ever been off the agenda but they will only be done in the right circumstances for us.

We've still got plenty to spend, no one knows how much we've paid for our players so far as all the fees are undisclosed and we don't know how the deals have been structured. Still need a goalkeeper, Defensive Midfielder, centre-back and a right-winger for the first team, so that's almost half a side, if it comes to it we can get a couple of decent loans with options to buy, Wolves showed that that can work last season with Jonny and Jimenez.