Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

5 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I'm sure you're saying this with a tongue firmly in cheek, but many have said similar things, and it's honestly nonsense.

The only player that we've dug our heels in over, is our homegrown, biggest-talent-for-decades, Villa fan and very best player in our squad: Jack Grealish.

Did we kick up a fuss when Jordan Ayew was essentially swapped with a Premier League club, at a value of around £3-5m, for Neil Taylor? Nope.

Did we kick up a fuss when Adama Traore was essentially swapped with a Premier League club, at a value of £3-5m, for Albert Adomah? Nope.

Did we kick up a fuss when Ashley Westwood was sold for £5m to a Premier League club? Nope.

There are countless examples of us selling players for a reasonable and acceptable amount, in recent years. So lets not pretend that we've demanded 10s of millions for all our players, like we have with Grealish, shall we?

Those were all players we couldn't wait to get shot of so it isn't really relevant?

3 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

it else smells of funky old pants, when you consider Spurs are somehow paying Leeds just 11.5 mil (8.5 up front) for Jack Clarke who is young, English and has huge potential.

This deal sounds like a Daniel Levy wet dream, I can't believe it's actually real!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

it else smells of funky old pants, when you consider Spurs are somehow paying Leeds just 11.5 mil (8.5 up front) for Jack Clarke who is young, English and has huge potential.

yeah it is a bit weird, not sure how u can justify the low fee?

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Those were all players we couldn't wait to get shot of so it isn't really relevant?

How much do you think we would have demanded for Chester out of interest? I’d be surprised if it would have been much higher than £10m-£12m.

Likewise Kodjia.

I’m using them as examples as, along with Jack, they were probably our most “sellable” players.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

There might have been sections of the fanbase that wanted rid of them, but many fans still wanted to keep those players. The fact they went to Premier League clubs and are still currently in the Premier League, surely shows that they would have also been assets to Villa in the Championship?

Ayew > Green

Westwood > Lansbury

Adama > Green (both have little end product, but Adama's power and pace puts Green's to shame)

Even if we look at a player like Adama, who basically sulked to get his move away, we could have still probably said "You want him, his price tag is £20m", and might have got a £10m+ offer for him, but, like I said, we've only done that with Grealish.

10 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I'd rate Webster at the same level as Mings. I'd pay the same for both of them  - £15mish. Not much more than that. I have to accept there will be a little bit of inflation when compared to say Mepham but not too much. All similar levels for me.

I'd go near 20m for Mings personally. We know he's that good. For Aston Villa. Not the same certainty with Webster or anyone else for that matter, assuming the scouts did their homework.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Yes he was fantastic against us, looks a great player.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

yeah it is a bit weird, not sure how u can justify the low fee?

He's not played a whole lot has he? If he'd has 2 or 3 seasons in the Championship playing really well it would be a different story, he's been impressive in his breakthrough season in the second tier.  

11 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

How much do you think we would have demanded for Chester out of interest? I’d be surprised if it would have been much higher than £10m-£12m.

Likewise Kodjia.

I’m using them as examples as, along with Jack, they were probably our most “sellable” players.

Both kodjia and Chester are basically 30 though, but yeah prob no more than 10 easy.

Webster will be 25 shortly, yet last season was his full season in his whole career as previous to that he's been very injury prone. Not worth much more than we've reportedly bid for him, unless we give them an initial fee with the rest based on him meeting certain clauses.

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Eventually these players will get fed up of being denied dream premier league moves due to unrealistic and stupid fees

I wondered about this too.

Maybe it's the opposite - maybe they know that PL will pay big money for them, and that raises their weekly fees and sign on bonuses. The more outrageous money is thrown around, the more lands in the player's pockets.

I guess everyone is different. 

26 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I'd rate Webster at the same level as Mings. I'd pay the same for both of them  - £15mish. Not much more than that. I have to accept there will be a little bit of inflation when compared to say Mepham but not too much. All similar levels for me.

I agree. £15 million (ish) each .... Worth a hell of a lot more than £30 million to us when you put the two together as our regular CB pairing!

With the commanding figure of Butland behind them, we will have sorted our defensive spine.

• Like 1

I want the signings as much as the next fan - and quickly as we need to gel the squad and team together.

But..
Signings tend to come in batches - both at a club level and across the league. For example, if Bournemouth really want rid of Mings and are just trying to get the best price (and fair enough), they are probably looking at 4 or 5 clubs who might buy. Once a couple of deals have gone through, they have to stop playing chicken or they might not make the sale. We on the other hand can still sign 1 of a hundred possibles to cover that position.
Professionals also seem to be running the club. They know the budget and what they are prepared to pay. If we overspend £5m on 1 position, it might mean Neil Taylor at left back for the season as the budget is gone. With patience, we will get the best option for the club at each position at the right price.

But please….just **** sign some players.

Well I just got my Shrewsbury and Walsall tickets after the extra allocation so Villa have 3.5 weeks to get the team ready, all players brought, match fit and looking brilliant otherwise I wont be happy because as my family says to me, the world revolves around me 😂

messi.jpg

Edited by nick76
  • Haha 1

What's exceptional about this Webster kid anyway? I dont really recall noticing him much. Not saying he isnt good but is he really what we need? PL ready?

• Like 1