Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

That's the main reason why we shouldn't be going to the Championship if you want to get value. Nowadays scouting networks should be international, there's no need to shop on your doorstep. 

You look at the likes of Kante, Mahrez, etc. Brought in for relatively small sums and have excelled and eventually been sold on for huge profit. I think that's the Villa model now so don't expect 20+ mil to be spent on a championship player. That's why for me the Butland rumour seems a bit odd. Doesn't appear to fit the general approach.  

Why is that the Villa model now?! We shouldn’t need to sell on our best players for money anymore in theory. 

17 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

You make a good point about Brentford having to sell key players to keep their system on track.

When you say that these players aren't worth 20 million, no one can argue with that. 20 million is the new favourite speculative 'media' figure for any half decent player, but behind the scenes the figures being discussed have to be more realistic.

The only problem with realistic offers are that it slows down negotiations as each club tries to get an optimum deal.

They're making a load of money from their stadium move (selling old and renting new), so for this season at least they aren't forced to sell,  meaning they'll ask for more than they are "worth".

This may be the only opportunity they have for a long time to keep their best players and make a real push for promotion.  They'd be stupid not to take it, unless they can get loads more for players than they budgeted for

Edit: for this reason I don't see many moves for Brentford players happening,  almost certainly lazy media speculation. Not saying it won't happen, but the vibe i'm getting from our owners is we'd rather gamble on value,  than gamble on overpaying. Maybe If we still only have 8 players in two weeks time...

Edited by MrBlack

2 hours ago, Herman22 said:

That's the main reason why we shouldn't be going to the Championship if you want to get value. Nowadays scouting networks should be international, there's no need to shop on your doorstep. 

You look at the likes of Kante, Mahrez, etc. Brought in for relatively small sums and have excelled and eventually been sold on for huge profit. I think that's the Villa model now so don't expect 20+ mil to be spent on a championship player. That's why for me the Butland rumour seems a bit odd. Doesn't appear to fit the general approach.  

I'm sure that's Villa's intention with Pitarch and his scouting team, but to be fair to Suso it was only after the Millwall match on April 22nd that we scraped into the play offs after an amazing run. Up until then our scouting would have been mainly aimed at improving our team for a real go at getting out of the Championship this season.

There are a handful of outstanding Championship players, and we know a lot about them including their attitude and application as well as talent. It might cost more as an interim way of putting a team together, but wages for these players are not going to be outrageous for a Premier League team.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Why is that the Villa model now?! We shouldn’t need to sell on our best players for money anymore in theory. 

everyone does except maybe the biggest 5 clubs in the world.

Also you want players that even if they don't become great players for us, we can sell them on for a reasonable fee without taking a huge loss. 

2 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Maybe Keeper being the exception? Makes sense as it’s a vital position. 

Agreed. Good keeper is essential! Butland is currently a championship player. Would be a great purchase imo

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ender4 said:

everyone does except maybe the biggest 5 clubs in the world.

Also you want players that even if they don't become great players for us, we can sell them on for a reasonable fee without taking a huge loss. 

Well, if these owners stay with us for a few years we'll be the ones signing top, top players, we wont be a 'selling club' as much as we have been in the past!

These owners will be aiming for the top and wont rest until we get there! For me, its just a matter of how long they stay at the club!

40 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

They're making a load of money from their stadium move (selling old and renting new), so for this season at least they aren't forced to sell,  meaning they'll ask for more than they are "worth".

This may be the only opportunity they have for a long time to keep their best players and make a real push for promotion.  They'd be stupid not to take it, unless they can get loads more for players than they budgeted for

Edit: for this reason I don't see many moves for Brentford players happening,  almost certainly lazy media speculation. Not saying it won't happen, but the vibe i'm getting from our owners is we'd rather gamble on value,  than gamble on overpaying. Maybe If we still only have 8 players in two weeks time...

Hence the inflated prices we have quoted for the pair of them, and you are right, it could be our turn to push for promotion this coming season, and the vibes from this end is the owner/club want to keep hold of them both, I know this appears to go against our policy of “sell to survive” but there comes a time when it must stop to enable us to push on, otherwise we are still treading water again, we have to take that gamble some time, and what better time for the opening of the new stadium next year. 

So far we have signed only one player from Scandinavia, so time is running out.

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

Does anyone know much about Nakamba? What sort of player is he? Is there an example of a player like him

Must say that I've never heard of him! But then again I'd never heard of Benteke!

8 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I’ve got a question.

I’m not saying it would happen in a million years, but how much would it cost to buy Brentford?

As a club, are they worth much more than the £80m it would apparently cost to buy 4 of their players?

The owner has pumped in over £120 million of his own money over the years, so he would want all that back for starters, but its not going to happen.

• Sad 1