Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

16 hours ago, John said:

Not as many as Blackburn, they've got 4,000! (one for the older members) ;)

Although the holes were rather small

I had to count them all

Now I know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The big problem with Championship players is they are so damn expensive! 

The problem with the Championship players is that you end up overpaying massively due to that player being the clubs best player.

It's a bit like Grealish, last season he wasn't really worth £35 million in the transfer market, but his value to Aston Villa was worth £35 million plus due to his importance for the team.

Maupay isn't a £20 million striker, but his importance to Brentford make his value much higher than it realistically is.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

The problem with the Championship players is that you end up overpaying massively due to that player being the clubs best player.

It's a bit like Grealish, last season he wasn't really worth £35 million in the transfer market, but his value to Aston Villa was worth £35 million plus due to his importance for the team.

Maupay isn't a £20 million striker, but his importance to Brentford make his value much higher than it realistically is.

That's the main reason why we shouldn't be going to the Championship if you want to get value. Nowadays scouting networks should be international, there's no need to shop on your doorstep. 

You look at the likes of Kante, Mahrez, etc. Brought in for relatively small sums and have excelled and eventually been sold on for huge profit. I think that's the Villa model now so don't expect 20+ mil to be spent on a championship player. That's why for me the Butland rumour seems a bit odd. Doesn't appear to fit the general approach.  

Just now, Herman22 said:

That's the main reason why we shouldn't be going to the Championship if you want to get value. Nowadays scouting networks should be international, there's no need to shop on your doorstep. 

You look at the likes of Kante, Mahrez, etc. Brought in for relatively small sums and have excelled and eventually been sold on for huge profit. I think that's the Villa model now so don't expect 20+ mil to be spent on a championship player. That's why for me the Butland rumour seems a bit odd. Doesn't appear to fit the general approach.  

Maybe Keeper being the exception? Makes sense as it’s a vital position. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Maybe Keeper being the exception? Makes sense as it’s a vital position. 

I would agree, goalkeepers seem to be a major problem area at Villa (bar Steer), international keepers we have brought in are just not adapting to the English game quick enough.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I think we need to look beyond the initial outlay, and take into account wages, etc.

Example - Richards was a free, so his wages were higher, and don't we know it!
Go for Maupay - assume £20m and £50k per week (£2.5m a year). 5 year deal is £32.5m
Some existing PL players will want £100k per week - over 5 years that's already £25m before you have bought them. And because of the high wages, you can't shift them if you need to (see Richards).

I hate saying it, but there is a risk of relegation over the next 2 to 3 years unless we get it right, and we can't leave ourselves financially **** again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We still need the equivalent of a player a week to be anywhere near ready for Spurs. 

Sam Allardyce gave a bit of advice to Villa last week. He said "if you want to survive in the Premier League you need to get off to a good start and get as many points as possible on the board after the first ten games".

In order to give ourselves a chance of hitting the ground running and picking up early points, we have to ensure that our 'first eleven and subs' have a full pre season to gel into a team playing Dean Smith's brand of football.

I expect several signings to be completed in the next ten days, because it's only two weeks until players report back for pre season training. Smith can't construct his unit with only half of the necessary building bricks available.

I'd be surprised if we don't hear of another completed signing either today or tomorrow. (just my opinion)

40 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

I hate saying it, but there is a risk of relegation over the next 2 to 3 years unless we get it right, and we can't leave ourselves financially **** again.

We won't do that if we do good signings. When we went down we had a lot of shit players on PL wages. If we go down this season, it will be with a squad capable of going straight up again. 

I know times have changed, but we came second in 89/90 after just survinging our first season after promotion. We've got new owners and what appear to be good owners. We've got rid of a lot of real shit players that were just waste of space and money. With PL money we can build a new team, and should the worst thing happen, we go down again, we won't have to spend a couple of years getting rid of people and trying to adopt to the Championship again.

4 minutes ago, Silent_Bob said:

We won't do that if we do good signings. When we went down we had a lot of shit players on PL wages. If we go down this season, it will be with a squad capable of going straight up again. 

I know times have changed, but we came second in 89/90 after just survinging our first season after promotion. We've got new owners and what appear to be good owners. We've got rid of a lot of real shit players that were just waste of space and money. With PL money we can build a new team, and should the worst thing happen, we go down again, we won't have to spend a couple of years getting rid of people and trying to adopt to the Championship again.

Agreed. And now we'll have a load of players on PL wages again. Just hope they're not as shit.

I think we're being sensible - 1 eye on building for the future, but not mortgaging the whole club on it. 

If some of the Championship teams, particularly Brentford, have a system set up around buying cheap and selling their best players for more money (as we keep being told), then how can they afford to turn down a decent offer for players like Maupay and Benhrama... why would they hold out for unrealistic money when no sale means their system isn’t going to work this year? You can’t set up a system that sells your best players as your main source of income and then not sell them. Unless I’ve missed something I can’t see how either of those players are worth £20m... I know money has moved on recently but surely that’s far too optimistic. 

15 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I'd be surprised if we don't hear of another completed signing either today or tomorrow. (just my opinion)

Me too. I can feel it in my testicles. I think there will be 2 or 3 in the next couple of weeks at least. Fingers crossed.

9 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

If some of the Championship teams, particularly Brentford, have a system set up around buying cheap and selling their best players for more money (as we keep being told), then how can they afford to turn down a decent offer for players like Maupay and Benhrama... why would they hold out for unrealistic money when no sale means their system isn’t going to work this year? You can’t set up a system that sells your best players as your main source of income and then not sell them. Unless I’ve missed something I can’t see how either of those players are worth £20m... I know money has moved on recently but surely that’s far too optimistic. 

You make a good point about Brentford having to sell key players to keep their system on track.

When you say that these players aren't worth 20 million, no one can argue with that. 20 million is the new favourite speculative 'media' figure for any half decent player, but behind the scenes the figures being discussed have to be more realistic.

The only problem with realistic offers are that it slows down negotiations as each club tries to get an optimum deal.

• Like 1