Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

2 minutes ago, mallett said:

I am not sure about us signing Marvellous as he is left footed. With Jack preferring to play on the left and Hourihane and McGinn both being left footed I was hoping we would go for a right footed DCM

I thought mcginn was right footy.  I feel stupid now 

6 minutes ago, mallett said:

I am not sure about us signing Marvellous as he is left footed. With Jack preferring to play on the left and Hourihane and McGinn both being left footed I was hoping we would go for a right footed DCM

Bruce though......"buy all the right backs and spoon them in somehow"

Deano (the One - notice there is a O N & E in Deano)........."Do not try and fill the team with right backs, instead, only try to realise the truth, there is no right back. Then you will see that it is not the right back that plays, as a team of left footers can play anywhere"

swing out dance GIF

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Defence of lumps? Why do you think this? I think they have a great defence, Tarkowski is an excellent defender as is Mee, they have a great partnership in the middle. Bardsley is a solid right back, no frills and ex Villa and Taylor is a marauding left back for me, why do you think they’re lumps?

Bardsley is one of the greatest hoofers in Premier League history, Stephen Ward was there too he wasnt much better. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Bardsley is one of the greatest hoofers in Premier League history, Stephen Ward was there too he wasnt much better. 

I agree, Bardsley isn’t the best technically but he is an honest pro

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I agree, Bardsley isn’t the best technically but he is an honest pro

Yeah...  He's an honest bunch of lads...  

Edited by KMitch
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Bloody hell, I am getting to the age in my life where even goalkeepers are considered past their sell by date.

End me.

The day I hit the age where I wouldn’t sign myself on football manager due to my age was a dark, dark day indeed. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Twitter update:

According to Jimmy McCann Che Adams has agreed to go to Southampton and Bournemouth very serious about Heaton. Increases the chances of Butland to us if true. Also says lots of things happening at Villa but nothing nailed on.

AVFCTransfers1 also suggests there is NO medical booked at present, despite rumours to the contrary

AVFC_Faithful (as close to ITK as I think there is) says Wesley passed medical yesterday and await permit which will be forthcoming this week; Mings discussions progressing with his ‘agency’, Mings to join the talks next week(?), confident; Villa won’t be signing any past players (I assume that’s a reference to Cahill/Milner/Delph); said there is an incoming signing “soon” (yes I know - no shit Sherlock)

Lots of things happening - but nothing nailed on !!!!!

. ....fair play all bases covered there...

Do people on here think we play 4 1 4 1 or 4 3 3?

Either way we need a really good DCM. For 4 1 4 1 the DCM really is the pivot for the team. They need to be a player who really reads the game well and has the character and skill set to dictate play.

This coaching website talks about the basics of the 4 1 4 1 formation Link. A lot of the qualities described for the striker are those we read about Wesley having.

It’s exciting to see who we are going to sign. One of Smith’s obvious qualities which few remark on is he is very intelligent. I think we are going to be using some of the data metrics used by Brentford some of which are speculated about here

The article looks at why Benrahma had stats which suggested he would be a good buy for Brentford and Stats  which suggested Hogan would be a good sell. 

Hopefully we are doing this stuff for the players we’re buying now.

21 minutes ago, mallett said:

Do people on here think we play 4 1 4 1 or 4 3 3?

Either way we need a really good DCM. For 4 1 4 1 the DCM really is the pivot for the team. They need to be a player who really reads the game well and has the character and skill set to dictate play.

This coaching website talks about the basics of the 4 1 4 1 formation Link. A lot of the qualities described for the striker are those we read about Wesley having.

It’s exciting to see who we are going to sign. One of Smith’s obvious qualities which few remark on is he is very intelligent. I think we are going to be using some of the data metrics used by Brentford some of which are speculated about here

The article looks at why Benrahma had stats which suggested he would be a good buy for Brentford and Stats  which suggested Hogan would be a good sell. 

Hopefully we are doing this stuff for the players we’re buying now.

to be honest they are effectively the same formation in terms of personnel in the style DS would probably use the system, either a DMC sits in the DM role in a 4-1-4-1, or in the central MC role in the 4-3-3, the same for the wide players in a 4-3-3 or a 4-1-4-1, really its the same players.

i mean, maybe you could argue the the 4-1-4-1 is the defensive version and when in attack it becomes a 4-3-3 with the full backs pushing up and the DM falling back.

I wouldnt get too hung up on the "exact formation" tbh, but generally i would expect DS to run a 4-3-3, that basically operates like a 4-3-3 or a 4-1-4-1 depending on whats needed during the match.

I could be wrong, but i personally expect our formation(s) to look like variations of a 4-3-3, 4-1-4-1 or 4-2-3-1, but really none of the personnel change, they just move around on the pitch slightly to reflect whats needed.

ie (with the players we currently have):

Spoiler

4-2-3-1                                                                   4-3-3                                                     4-1-4-1

GK                                                                           GK                                                         GK

RB -- CB -- CB -- LB                                            RB -- CB -- CB -- LB                              RB -- CB -- CB -- LB   

McGinn -- DMC                                          McGinn - DMC - Grealish                                     DMC

Jota -- Grealish -- El Ghazi                                Jota - Wesley - El Ghazi               Jota - Grealish - McGinn - El Ghazi

Wesley                                                                                                                              Wesley

Edited by MaVilla

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

He's alright. His main strong trait is organising a Burnley defence of lumps who have a very deep midfield sat in front of them. We'll be much more open.

i guess Joe Hart is totally useless now but Burnley conceded a shed load of goals up to xmas last season so it's not as easy as you think.

Heaton is pretty underrated generally and should've had some England caps by now.

47 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Lowton's their regular RB isn't he? He was injured a bit last season.

Don't Burnley have this wierd defensive style where they manage to get attacking players into difficult angles around the box and let them take shots so low possibility of scoring. Sure I read an article on it although haven't explained it well.

Based on our links so far, we could still see the below come in during the window...

GK - Butland

FB - Targett / Justin

CB - Webster

CB - Mings

DM - Phillips

RW - Benrahma

ST - Maupay

What do people think? Too many lower league players or should they be able to make the step up to PL level?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Based on our links so far, we could still see the below come in during the window...

GK - Butland

FB - Targett / Justin

CB - Webster

CB - Mings

DM - Phillips

RW - Benrahma

ST - Maupay

What do people think? Too many lower league players or should they be able to make the step up to PL level?

I think if we get relegated we will come straight back up 100%

Edited by AshVilla

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

GK - Butland

FB - Targett / Justin

CB - Webster

CB - Mings

DM - Phillips

RW - Benrahma

ST - Maupay

I think everyone on that list falls into one of two categories. They are either already good for the Premier League, or way too good for the Championship. Now of course the latter category doesn't mean they'll be good in the Premier League, but I would not be disappointed with signing any of them. 

• Like 4

We need to do a LOT of business in the next 3 to 4 weeks if we plan to half a functioning team for the USA tour.

I mean damn we need a GK, LB, 2 x CB, DM, winger as a bare minimum.

6 players required minimum in 4 weeks, then add nice to haves like another striker and maybe another DM and winger taking it to 8 or 9...

Are we really going to sign 6 to 8 players in the next 3 weeks or so?, I hope so....

Edited by MaVilla

5 minutes ago, Daweii said:

I think everyone on that list falls into one of two categories. They are either already good for the Premier League, or way too good for the Championship. Now of course the latter category doesn't mean they'll be good in the Premier League, but I would not be disappointed with signing any of them. 

This works for me.  I am being greedy so I would also like a young ACM to cover McGinn, Grealish and Lansbury - Arobi (not sure if he has gone to Rangers yet) or Bayliss etc. - as I want O'Hare to get out on loan and get more game time and another winger - Bowen or Lolley.  I would personally sacrifice some spend of the GK or LB if we had to in order to buy these two additional players (e.g. Etheridge/Heaton and Kieran Gibbs, saving nearly £20m?) and then get Green out on loan.

• Like 1

In terms of loans, I have no issue signing players on loan with an agreed option to buy, or loaning players that we would otherwise have no chance of signing on a permanent basis at the moment anyway. For example, Leicester loaning Tielemans last season. Yes they could probably buy him but it would be £50m at least I reckon. No way would we be able to do that. But it shows that there are quality loan options out there for sure.

Edited by jacketspuds