Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Not just a flurry of activity - we've had that before, e.g. with Sherwood/RdM - but this time it seems like the right activity. Thought-out, rather than scattergun. 

Also Lamberts second Summer Window quite a few were brought in.

But as for the 20 year mark was that the first summer of Big Ron?  That really was mental.  Didn't something like 6/7 players make their debut on the opening day of the Season?

Trying to think back now :  Teale, Staunton, Richardson, Atkinson, Regis, Mortimer , Kuibicki

Originals : Spink, McGrath, Daley, Yorke??

So after Typing that looked on Wiki and following was bought in the summer as well:

Sealey, Ehiogu

Followed in the season by:

Parker, Farrell, Barrett, Bosnich, Berry

Selling Cascarino and Platt enabled us to pay for all the above

Now that was a good time to be a Villa fan :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Flying out to the US today, so probably won't be any more signings for a week or so, meaning there will be a mad dash in the final weeks of window to sign a goalkeeper, a couple of midfielders a winger, and a striker, and possibly another defender depending on Chester's status, and some people are talking about signing two wingers, but I think El Ghazi, Green, Jota and one more should be enough. Wouldn't entirely rule out another right-back.

As things stand , a line up of

Steer,

Guilbert, Konsa, Mings, Targett,

Hourihane,

McGinn, Grealish,

Jota,.                                    El Ghazi,

Wesley

The average age is 24

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NIVillan said:

But as for the 20 year mark was that the first summer of Big Ron?  That really was mental.  Didn't something like 6/7 players make their debut on the opening day of the Season?

Trying to think back now :  Teale, Staunton, Richardson, Atkinson, Regis, Mortimer , Kuibicki

Originals : Spink, McGrath, Daley, Yorke??

So after Typing that looked on Wiki and following was bought in the summer as well:

Sealey, Ehiogu

Followed in the season by:

Parker, Farrell, Barrett, Bosnich, Berry

Selling Cascarino and Platt enabled us to pay for all the above

Now that was a good time to be a Villa fan :)

That's the one my son. That was the season Big Ron laid down the foundations not long after arriving.

It ignighted a real buzz and what followed in the coming years was fantastic. A new Holte End, Dean Saunders arriving the season after, Cup Runs, European nights... it was a special time.

I have the very same buzz again now and I cannot wait for the next few seasons to unfold.  Good times.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Not just a flurry of activity - we've had that before, e.g. with Sherwood/RdM - but this time it seems like the right activity. Thought-out, rather than scattergun. 

It feels like the right activity now. But if we're in the relegation zone come March, we'll probably all be waving our fists and looking back thinking "what the hell were we doing bringing in all these players unproven in a top league?"

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Flying out to the US today, so probably won't be any more signings for a week or so, meaning there will be a mad dash in the final weeks of window to sign a goalkeeper, a couple of midfielders a winger, and a striker, and possibly another defender depending on Chester's status, and some people are talking about signing two wingers, but I think El Ghazi, Green, Jota and one more should be enough. Wouldn't entirely rule out another right-back.

Yeah now I think the critical required purchases are:

1) DMC

2) a L/R winger to challenge Jota and El Ghazi with green as backup.

3) GK - possibly optional, but personally I would like a new GK.

Anything on top of those 3 are nice to haves, not critical imo.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

Feel a lot better for two CB's arriving... 

Still a lot to do but we are getting there, I think we still need the following as I'm sure everyone does;

* Keeper

* CB

* Defensive midfielder

* Right sided forward

* Striker

Anything above and beyond that would be a bonus really. 

So another 5 needed, its been some summer so far compared to what it would have been had Smith not got us up.

Love the quiet efficiency of the club these days.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Flying out to the US today, so probably won't be any more signings for a week or so, meaning there will be a mad dash in the final weeks of window

Ah, I doubt it'll be a problem to be honest.

I'm sure Dennis, the caretaker will open the shutters at bodymoor heath for an hour or so for any medical needing done before we stick them on a plane out to the US, then lock up afterwards.   ;)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, thabucks said:

What would peeps prefer ... Saed Benrahma & Kalvin Phillips for a reported over £40mill or Say Skov/Trezeguet, Santamaria, Billings for arguments sake & someone like Bayliss for similar money or less. That’s the jigsaw Suso & Smith have to decide to piece together and it is no easy task. I know from the second lot Skov & Billings are my/others suggestions just using them to highlight we could get x4 players for the price of x2 and just wanted to see what others thought... 

I would rather get well scouted talent in from countries where the market is not as crazy than pay over the odds for Champioship players

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Still a lot to do but we are getting there, I think we still need the following as I'm sure everyone does;

* Keeper

* CB

* Defensive midfielder

* Right sided forward

* Striker

So another 5 needed, its been some summer so far compared to what it would have been had Smith not got us up.

Yep. I go with this.

I don't think there is any rush, nor will we sign anyone out of desperation. We've done good steady business so far imo and maybe one or two of the targets we we'll have to wait for until late in the window maybe?

Edited by AvfcRigo82

32 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Every club is run differently, no point in bum fighting over who has the best policies.

Let's not forget we can't get on our high horses, we nearly went out of existence 12 months ago due to incompetent management of our club.

That's my point - we stopped buying over priced high risk players and started loaning the likes of Mings, Tuanzebe, Johnstone and Abraham. It was a good decision from a footballing and financial perspective.

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

* Keeper

* CB

* Defensive midfielder

* Right sided forward

* Striker

Ditto with the quiet efficiency. When it is leaking to the press its done and dusted pretty much by the looks of it. 

Not sure I agree entirely with necessary list though. 

DM - definitely needed. Hourihane isn't probably going to be good enough in this role, though I definitely think he has a big part to play throughout the season.

GK - probably needed. Steer did great in the end, but for me, hasn't yet shown enough to be 1st choice premier league keeper. Kalinic possibly as well but we have not seen nearly enough of him but if Kalinic is wanting to move on anyway, then we will need someone else regardless. Going into the season with just Steer/Nyland will not be enough. Steer/Kalinic/Nyland, possibly, but doesn't fill me with great confidence. Such a crucial position as well.

Right Sided Winger/Forward - probably needed. Jota I think will play a much bigger role than some think and I think he will be good at it as well. With El Ghazi as first choice, Jota and Green as the squad players, with only Kodjia being able to play there it does look like there is a gap. 

These 3 positions I agree with you, we need to strengthen. 

Centre Back - depends on roles of Chester. Room for a 5th CB is there, but think it will be Mings/Konsa as first choice, Hause/Chester as back up. I would be OK with that. If a good option came about then possibly, but then that would really limit the role of Chester. 

Striker - depends on how much reliance we are going to have on Wesley. If he is going to be first choice, I cannot see us signing anyone more.  If he is going to be more squad/rotation I can see us signing someone, with Kodjia &/or Davis moving on (permanent or on loan respectively). I am not sure what Smith makes of RHM but it doesn't seem promising. Is he training with 1st team? It may be that actually the Right Winger/Forward could play both positions and that would probably sort out both issues, certainly for this season though. 

These 2 roles though, IMO, are desperately need of a signing, and certainly not in lieu of the other needed positions, especially the defensive midfielder. What is clear though, is that we look a lot less desperate to sign players and have pretty much a full preseason for the new ones to get on board the Villa train :) 

Based on press rumours of reported targets.. 

GK .. Heaton/Butland (loan to buy .. terms agreeable to me but not stoke) 

CB ... Hegazi/Waldemar Anton

DM .... Santamaria/not so sure we will get Phillips anymore... Billings? 

Winger ...... Skov/Trezeguet (I know we haven’t been linked with Skov but looks a cracking player) 

ST ....... Maupay/Leao(still dreaming there was a nugget of truth in the Leao rumour and can cover wing & forward)

With Bayliss & Happe or Rodon as young prospects .. 

3 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

That's my point - we stopped buying over priced high risk players and started loaning the likes of Mings, Tuanzebe, Johnstone and Abraham. It was a good decision from a footballing and financial perspective.

At the time it was yes, mainly because of both the mess the club was in and having no funds, and most of the squad on the last yr of the contract, it wS an overwhelming task but I agree it is the approach you are forced to take when in such a delicate position in that league.

If conquered then great, but kicking on after that the same model does not work and needs adapted.

26 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

* Keeper

* CB

* Defensive midfielder

* Right sided forward

* Striker

I'd rather two DMs than another CB. Worried that if we only sign one then we have less than last year unless Dean thinks Tshibola can do a job. Two solid DMs in and one of them can cover CB in a crisis.

Other than that i agree

Edited by HalfTimePost

28 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

* Keeper

* CB

* Defensive midfielder

* Right sided forward

* Striker

So another 5 needed

I wouldn't be bothered about another CB, we already have 4: Mings, Hause, Chester and Konsa I don't see the need for another one. However I do agree we need 5 more players. We need a two central midfielders rather than just the one you have above. Apart from Hourihane there isn't really any decent cover in the middle of the park. Thor and Henry aren't going to cut it and Tshibola won't be here come September I bet. We probably need two DCM's and then use Hourihane and Lansbury as cover for McGinn/Jack

• Like 1