As things stand , a line up of

Steer,

Guilbert, Konsa, Mings, Targett,

Hourihane,

McGinn, Grealish,

Jota,.                                    El Ghazi,

Wesley

The average age is 24

We haven't strengthened much overall there. Jota is an improvement in Adomah and Targett is hopefully an improvement on Taylor. We don't really know how good Guilbert is or how he will settle to compare him, same goes for Wesley. Konsa - Axel = we'll see. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

I really dont want a Cahill signing. It would be a Lescott signing. Imo

I disagree.

Cahill and Lescott are either end of the footballer scale. To label them both in the same basket is an insult to Cahill.

He would be a valuable presence on a sensible length contract. It's been said 1000 times. He is an example of someone who IS welcome back to Villa Park.

What he would bring to the table would pay for itself.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Also, @TrentVilla given who we have signed so far and for the amount, given we both agree we need 5 more in over the positions highlighted, do you think we will be approaching the £150m mark by the time the window closes?

Roughly £84 million spent so far.  

Maybe 3 more players at an average cost of £12 million = £84m + £36m = £120m

Thats my guess.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

I really dont want a Cahill signing. It would be a Lescott signing. Imo

I really don't think these two can be compared. I thought Lescott was a disaster when he was signed. Cahill has been at the top of the game since joining Chelsea, won a Champions League - starting the final, captained them more or less to a league title (Terry didn't play much in his last season). And also he's got a point to prove after being left out last year. I think he would be a shrewd signing especially with a chip on his shoulder as he is definitely hurting from last season at Chelsea.

And he would add a nice bit of experience to the defence and not in the same way as in Lescott did. He didn't seem to give a flying fiddlers.

• Thanks 1

Do we go for: 

1) Benrahma or     2) Trezeguet?

1) Philips      or      2) Santamaria?

1) Maupay    or     2) Samatta?

1) Butland    or     2) Heaton?

Number one list adds up to approx 70/75 million.

Number two list adds up to approx 40/45 million. 

The extra 30 million spent on the number one list completes a nailed on Premier league team for the next couple of seasons in my opinion.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Do we go for: 

1) Benrahma or     2) Trezeguet?

1) Philips      or      2) Santamaria?

1) Maupay    or     2) Samatta?

1) Butland    or     2) Heaton?

1) Cahill        or      2) Tuanzebe

Number one list adds up to approx 70/75 million.

Number two list adds up to approx 40/45 million. 

The extra 30 million spent on the number one list completes a nailed on Premier league team for the next couple of seasons in my opinion.

FTFY.

IF* we did need another CB, I feel either Cahill or Axel won't affect your price estimation as such. One is a freebie and the other would be a loan potentially.

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I don't know what a double-down is, but David sounds like, oh what's it called... an idiot.

In his ten tweet response he likens some guy on Sky getting confused about our fans reaction to appointing a a former Birmingham City manager, to the Sun's coverage of the Hillsborough disaster. 

That takes a special kind of person. 

• Haha 1

Although I think Tuanzebe on loan would be great cover I really can't see him coming to us now.

Even if we were interested it would be as a backup as we'll prioritise developing our own player and I don't see him taking a loan move to sit on the bench for most of a season.

• Like 1

Apparently we had 2 lists for potential signings, one for the premier and one for the championship. 

Out of pure curiosity I'd love to know who was on the other list.

6 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Although I think Tuanzebe on loan would be great cover I really can't see him coming to us now.

Even if we were interested it would be as a backup as we'll prioritise developing our own player and I don't see him taking a loan move to sit on the bench for most of a season.

I totally agree.

Man Utd would put a clause into any loan to state that they required him to play regularly when fit. As you say that would block the necessary development of Konsa.

Tuanzabe will have to find another club if Man U still want to loan him out.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Apparently we had 2 lists for potential signings, one for the premier and one for the championship. 

Sir Gary Cahil was compiling that list.

27 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if Konsa was on both. Would have possibly been affordable with the release clause and gettable with the manager connection. 

Do any of the 'accountants' on here know approximately what our maximum spend can be this season, with reference to FFP?

Purslow must have a specific figure in front of him with a reasonable allowance for judicious over spend, but what is that figure likely to be?

I'll continue to optimistically spend NSWE's money for them in my fevered imagination, but in reality I believe that we're now at a stage when we may have to look at signing some plan B type players rather than the players that are our first choice.

Konsa is a possible example of this, even though I love his potential to develop with us over the next couple of seasons.

5 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Do any of the 'accountants' on here know approximately what our maximum spend can be this season, with reference to FFP?

Purslow must have a specific figure in front of him with a reasonable allowance for judicious over spend, but what is that figure likely to be?

I'll continue to optimistically spend NSWE's money for them in my fevered imagination, but in reality I believe that we're now at a stage when we may have to look at signing some plan B type players rather than the players that are our first choice.

Konsa is a possible example of this, even though I love his potential to develop with us over the next couple of seasons.

Agreed.

We can't spend £25m to cover every position in the squad.

We did survive a good few years in the prem with poor squads - I think we will be ok next season.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

my very rough guess...

£150m in transfer fees (£50m hits 2019/20, if assume all 3 year contracts). 

Then £50m in salaries. 

So £100 total spend for 2019/20.

How about Riechedly Bazoer as DM , schooled at Ajax .. Hasn’t really worked out for him in Germany , young highly rated & versatile..

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/bundesliga-stars-of-tomorrow-wolfsburg-holland-riechedly-bazoer-446108.jsp

He is so fast and powerful; plays uninhibited yet is stable – he is a great talent;” Dutch legend and Bazoer’s former coach at Ajax, Frank de Boer once said of the Utrecht native. “I see him as a major force in the future,” the former Holland legend added. Developing into an impressively tall, slender yet tough and athletic frame, Bazoer’s build and ability have seen him draw comparisons with former France great Patrick Vieira.

Indeed, when operating as a number six, the former UEFA European Under-17 Championship winner with the Netherlands possesses the power to rob opponents of possession and the subsequent focus to distribute attacking passes with pin-point accuracy. His physical prowess also allows for speed, thus in his final games for Wolfsburg last season, Bazoer played in an attacking role on the right, just as he did at times within a 4-3-3 formation under De Boer at Ajax. And then there is his finishing, with long-range thunderbolts a speciality.

Been reading up on Waldemar Anton as well and he sounds like a great prospect and can fill DM role also. Mings/Hause Konsa/Anton with Chester as back up would give us great options @ CB 

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/waldemar-anton-hannover-wonderkid-the-next-javi-martinez-510333.jsp

A no-nonsense defender capable of playing at the heart of or in front of the defence, Anton could quite easily be Bayern Munich battering ram Javi Martinez in disguise. He's robust, uncompromising, a real aerial presence - and can pick out a pass.

Both  fit the profile we are looking at, versatile with room for growth and are reasonably priced alternatives .... 

Edited by thabucks