Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

20 minutes ago, tyklip said:

Good article here from The Guardian

I liked it, but... 

As many as 14 first-team players left the club at the end of the season, leaving Dean Smith with a squad that contained just 17 players over the age of 21. And that includes Gary Gardner, Aaron Tshibola and Scott Hogan, who returned from loan spells with little chance of resurrecting their careers at Villa.

However it goes on to say:

It is difficult to argue with any of the seven signings Villa made this summer. Anwar El Ghazi, Kortney Hause and Mings were on loan at the club last season; Jota joined as part of a swap deal, with Gardner going the other way to rivals Birmingham City;

Sorry, I know it's a bit pedantic, but at least get your facts right, or certainly double check what you have written! 

In relation to the main point, I don't mind other teams underestimating us and thinking we are "doing a Fulham". Means they will be less prepared for us :) 

1 hour ago, VBM said:

In his ten tweet response he likens some guy on Sky getting confused about our fans reaction to appointing a a former Birmingham City manager, to the Sun's coverage of the Hillsborough disaster. 

That takes a special kind of person. 

Jeez.

I've had run-ins with MOMS before on Twitter, which resulted in us blocking each other, (this was a time a few seasons ago when he used to post overly negative stuff all the time, and I used to call him out for it), so it sounds like I've not been missing much :lol:

5 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

dj khaled GIF by Music Choice

If true I love the way the way we go about our business quietly with intent , like ninja assassins 

Edited by thabucks

15 minutes ago, ender4 said:

my very rough guess...

£150m in transfer fees (£50m hits 2019/20, if assume all 3 year contracts). 

Then £50m in salaries. 

So £100 total spend for 2019/20.

Only £100?!

We're f*cked

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

another centre back?, blimey.

i think the club is scarred from the Bruce years.

Im not surprised really, until Monday we had one centre back and he is going to struggle to play multiple times a week so having at least 4 CBs seems smart to me.

Still need more bodies in....

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

The gulf between the Premier League and Championship is probably wider than its ever been. It's almost as if many fans of other clubs think we should just ignore that.

In terms of the top 6 I agree.

But I think a good championship team would give the likes of Burnley, Brighton , etc a good run for there money.

We had some pretty poor teams under Lambert and yet survived - a back 4 of Bennett, Clark, Baker, Vlarr  - I think we have better than that already.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AstonVillaFan84 said:

Interesting that wikipedia reckon he was only bought by Reims in March

I saw this on Transfermarkt although it had the date as July 1st.

So, I'm guessing he was on loan with an option or obligation to buy. Reims could make a quick profit if the rumour is true.

Just now, hippo said:

In terms of the top 6 I agree.

But I think a good championship team would give the likes of Burnley, Brighton , etc a good run for there money.

We had some pretty poor teams under Lambert and yet survived - a back 4 of Bennett, Clark, Baker, Vlarr  - I think we have better than that already.

if you picked the best 11 from the championship (at the start of this transfer window), i reckon it could comfortably finish mid table in the Prem tbh.

• Like 3

If true do we think it would mean Chester being moved on? Or would Konsa move to DM?

Surely we don't need 5 CBs. If we had 2 or 3 already and they couldn't cut it maybe it would make sense if you acquired an extra because you couldn't get rid of one. But buying 4 new ones with last year's captain still here is excessive.

Edited by HalfTimePost

Just now, HalfTimePost said:

If true do we think it would mean Chester being moved on? Or would Konsa move to DM? Surely we don't need 5 CBs

maybe chester is pretty much done?, who knows.

23 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

I liked it, but... 

However it goes on to say:

Sorry, I know it's a bit pedantic, but at least get your facts right, or certainly double check what you have written!  

He is correct, though, it's just possibly phrased poorly.  Gary Gardner was left on our books at the end of last season having been on loan and was likely surplus to requirements.  He was then moved on.

• Like 3

Just now, bobzy said:

He is correct, though, it's just possibly phrased poorly.  Gary Gardner was left on our books at the end of last season having been on loan and was likely surplus to requirements.  He was then moved on.

That's the way I read it too. At first I thought 'hang on a minute!', then I realised he was talking in chronological order of how we were once all the contracts ended, to how we are now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Just now, Rob182 said:

That's the way I read it too. At first I thought 'hang on a minute!', then I realised he was talking in chronological order of how we were once all the contracts ended, to how we are now.

Fair point, I just read it as he was in the squad still. Accept that you can read it like you both have done. 

• Like 1