Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

19 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I wouldn't be bothered about another CB, we already have 4: Mings, Hause, Chester and Konsa I don't see the need for another one. However I do agree we need 5 more players. We need a two central midfielders rather than just the one you have above. Apart from Hourihane there isn't really any decent cover in the middle of the park. Thor and Henry aren't going to cut it and Tshibola won't be here come September I bet. We probably need two DCM's and then use Hourihane and Lansbury as cover for McGinn/Jack

I'm just not sure we will see that much of Chester again (just a suspicion) so I'd like another one in there but I agree re midfield but think that would be more of a bonus.

The signing of Konsa will send out a clear message to other clubs that Villa won’t be dicked about concerning transfer fees (Webster).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I'm just not sure we will see Chester again 

That's pretty sad. Effectively the dreadful managment of Steve Bruce leaving us with no central defenders and subsequently him playing with a serious injury has ended his career.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48503502

James Chester hopes to carry on playing international football for Wales, even though he is going to have to manage a knee injury for the rest of his career.

The Aston Villa defender says he has damaged his knee "indefinitely".

The 30-year-old admits he put his career at risk earlier in the season by playing through the pain.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, striker said:

The signing of Konsa will send out a clear message to other clubs that Villa won’t be dicked about concerning transfer fees (Webster).

Nah, not really.

Konsa had a release clause and we paid it.

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

That's pretty sad. Effectively the dreadful managment of Steve Bruce leaving us with no central defenders and subsequently him playing with a serious injury has ended his career?

Chester has said as much that he damaged his body indefinitely and he'll be managing his injuries for the rest of his career. He's a professional so he wants to continue playing football, but I think the days of him starting every game are over thanks to the punishment he took last season. 

27 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Also, @TrentVilla given who we have signed so far and for the amount, given we both agree we need 5 more in over the positions highlighted, do you think we will be approaching the £150m mark by the time the window closes?

Obviously I don't know but I figure out upper limit to be £130m spend, obviously if we can sell anyone it could be higher but if we don't I can't see us getting above that. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, striker said:

I think the same happened with Stoke and Butland.

I've always thought Webster was a back up option if we didn't get Mings though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Chester has said as much that he damaged his body indefinitely and he'll be managing his injuries for the rest of his career. He's a professional so he wants to continue playing football, but I think the days of him starting every game are over thanks to the punishment he took last season. 

I think he also said that thanks to the rest he'd got after Mings etc came in he was pain free, so like you said he can manage it from here on in.

I think he will be back up, covering the odd suspension or injury and I think that's fine, I don't think we'll be going after another central defender this window, but you never know.

• Like 1

Just now, striker said:

Missing the point. 

Well imo we've already paid way over the odds for 3 of our signings (Wesley, Targett & Mings) so I'm not sure I agree with your point.

Just now, sne said:

Well imo we've already paid way over the odds for 3 of our signings (Wesley, Targett & Mings) so I'm not sure I agree with your point.

No worries mate we’ll agree to disagree.😉

• Like 1

The PL is going to be too intense for Chester sadly and it looks like the club acted immediately securing the services of Konsa. Question is, will we keep Chester and see how it goes or will we look at bringing in another CB?

If we did...?

Cahill - for the experienced head?, to aide Mings, Konsa and Hause.

Axel - Would having four young CB's work or be dangerous? although some PL experience, he is a calm and assuring defender and already partnered Mings, which goes in his favour.

Webster - too expensive and not sure he would fit the bill now.

or Someone else maybe ??

All hypothetical of course until we definately know how the club decide to call it.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

11 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

I still think Tuanzebe will come. I hope anyway.

Depends if the club think we can afford to risk it with Chester.

I would like Axel back no doubt but who knows what will happen. We could be all done and dusted for the CBs and focusing on other areas now. We'll see.

11 minutes ago, sne said:

I agree we paid too much for Mings. Should have been £14m rising to £18m imo. But that's football.

6 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

The PL is going to be too intense for Chester sadly and it looks like the club acted immediately securing the services of Konsa, leaving us still searching for another CB after all.

Cahill - for the experienced head?, to aide Mings, Konsa and Hause.

Axel - Would having four young CB's work or be dangerous? although some PL experience, he is a calm and assuring defender and already partnered Mings, which goes in his favour.

Webster - too expensive and not sure he would fit the bill now.

or Someone else maybe ??

I really dont want a Cahill signing. It would be a Lescott signing. Imo