Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

3 minutes ago, villaluke said:

does anyone know the itk that is on twitter he was on there last few transfer windows but cant find the account now? think he know when a medical was booked etc.

He got rumbled and was either fired or told in no uncertain terms to cut it out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I don’t understand this logic.

You’re right that it’s obvious that the teams at the bottom will face more shots, but the amount of ‘goals conceded:shots saved’ would surely reflect whether the keeper was bad/okay/good?

You can’t just say that a keeper of a relegated team making a decent amount of saves is a pointless stat. Those shots would have resulted in goals if he was a worse keeper.

You could look at every keeper in the league and see how many saves he made in 100 shots. Irrespective of the league position of the club, the stat would still give you a half-decent representation of how good a keeper they are. The only difference with the teams at the bottom, is that you’d reach the 100 shot mark much quicker than you would a team at the top.

Saves per conceded goal:

Allison: 3.4

Lloris: 3.0

Fabianski: 2.7

Ederson: 2.5

Leno: 2.5

Arriz: 2.1

Foster: 2.1 

Patricio: 2.1 

Etheridge: 2.0

Sergio Rico: 2.0

Dubrvaka: 2.0

Pickford: 2.0

Schmeichel: 1.9

Ryan: 1.75

Lossel: 1.6 

(I've rounded up and down, so its not 100% correct) 

Others Etheridge stats: 

Pen saves joint #1with 3. 

Sweeper clearances #2 with 19. 

High claims #9 with 15. 

Clean sheets joint #7 with 10 

Punches #11 with 13 

Definitely not a top 5 keeper. But good enough for a lower mid table team. 

He would certainly fill me with a lot more confidence going into the season then with our current keepers.  And could prove to be a very solid signing for 10 Mill. 

I haven't seen him play too many times. So I have no idea how many of the 69 goals conceded are down to himself. Which off course is important. But he strikes me as a confident goalkeeper, without any clangers and shaky intercepting in the box. Thoughts? 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I read that he own a Goalkeeping academy in Manila. For a lad that was born and bred in the UK I like the sound of that. Seems a good guy. 

Yeah, Chelsea have a small academy here too. I'd love for us to sign him tbh. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'd take the 2009 version of Milner, but today he's just a workhorse.

We've got McGinn to do that job, he is the right age and got a bigger potential. What we need is a dmf.

He’s at it again...Milner is just a ‘workhorse’!

And there was me thinking he could play football a bit too...

• Like 2

It’s really not sentiment with wanting Milner back, he’s a ****ing good player. 

Anyway, just looking at the numbers, if we were to go ahead with the signings and the fees that are being heavily touted, by my reckoning that would be -

Etheridge 10m

Mings 15m

Hause 2m

El Ghazi 5m

Jota 3m

Abraham 25m

That takes us to £60m. Then we’d presumably be looking at adding a left back, a defensive midfielder, maybe another winger and a striker, possibly even another defender?

3 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

It’s really not sentiment with wanting Milner back, he’s a ****ing good player. 

Anyway, just looking at the numbers, if we were to go ahead with the signings and the fees that are being heavily touted, by my reckoning that would be -

Etheridge 10m

Mings 15m

Hause 2m

El Ghazi 5m

Jota 3m

Abraham 25m

That takes us to £60m. Then we’d presumably be looking at adding a left back, a defensive midfielder, maybe another winger and a striker, possibly even another defender?

We’re going to have to spend 100m+ to try and finish 17th. It’s crazy. 

I miss the Championship. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

And there was me thinking he could play football a bit too...

And McGinn can't? We already got that type of player in our squad. Our priorities should lie elsewhere.

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

He got rumbled and was either fired or told in no uncertain terms to cut it out.

@villaluke @whispers_avfc - yes he disappeared, was clearly ‘inside’ but got pulled up or fired. The account 9s still live but last tweeted in 2016, seems more recent than that.

Edited by thunderball

We will need to sign a wealth of players in time for pre season.

Interestingly enough we don’t know our actual transfer budget.

I would also add that signing a player for £15m could mean we make payments in yearly instalments which would not affect the transfer budget deeply.

9 hours ago, MaVilla said:

oh right, are the Phillipines not a football loving nation?

Basketball for guys and volleyball for girls, usually. Soccer (sorry) started to pickup nicely about 8 years ago when the national team started making some strides with the Younghusband's. That's died down a bit now, but having players like Etheridge helps immensely of course. Interesting the South of the country is much more into soccer with local teams and such than the North, but literally the entire population lives in the the capital, Manila.