Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Outch. I was feeling optimistic about next season until I watched that. 

the need for a rebuild is something we've known about for a long time now. I am reserved to making an opinion about our chances until we see what happens this summer.

• Like 1

Can't see any of the signings being confirmed until we are officially in the prem and have our new kit released.

Wouldnt be the best publicity, our new players holding our old championship shirts. I wouldn't be happy if I was Kappa or the front of the shirt sponsor. 

I think we'll see Mings, EL Ghazi, Hause and Jota all confirmed wearing the new shirt on or a few days after the unveiling 

• Like 2

Just now, Lord Willard said:

Can't see any of the signings being confirmed until we are officially in the prem and have our new kit released.

Wouldnt be the best publicity, our new players holding our old championship shirts. I wouldn't be happy if I was Kappa or the front of the shirt sponsor. 

I think we'll see Mings, EL Ghazi, Hause and Jota all confirmed wearing the new shirt on or a few days after the unveiling 

could be so. I think we'll have to be patient in any way. going to be a long summer.

18 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

Promising. As well as Steer has done, I don't think he's Prem quality and messing up on that department could easily send us down. Not sold on Kalinic either I think he's too slow to ground and it's evident Smith doesn't like him. Maybe Kalinic has an offer elsewhere. 

Not getting that Dep't right....will surely send us down.

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

It’s going to be a great summer, I think the most exciting we’ve seen for well in excess of a decade.

yup I'm really excited.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, useless said:

We could conceivably go out and sign Cahill, Barry, Milner, Delph, and Benteke, they all know each other and the club so there'd be no settling in period.

None of these players fit the new management teams plans.

Benteke is poor at best these days, we all have fond memories of him but let's leave it at that and move on. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

If we have signed someone it will be announced pretty  much after its done and dusted.

The idea that we would keep it under wraps waiting for a new kit is a non starter. In any case he is usually announced on the OS - then the official unveiling comes after that.

1 hour ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Although I agree with a lot of this I think Premier League experience isn't as essential as many think. Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Brighton and Wolves all came up with very little to no Premier League experience and all stayed up. I think it can help, but it's more important to have quality.

It's not like we don't have any already anyway, Elmo, Taylor, Chester and Grealish all have Premier League experience, we just let a load more go that had it too.

Milner I would take because he still has the quality and is in good shape but lets be honest, he's going to be at Liverpool next year.

Cahill is now too slow and has never been good enough on the ball to play the way we want to play, Personally, I think it would be a mistake to sign him.

Possibly right on Cahill, but feel his combination of having played for us before (and being forced out through no fault of his own) and what he has won at Chelsea means he'd be worth signing on a free. Our history with him may mean we get him for less than others would pay, but if he wants top dollar then i'd agree his current ability isn't enough to match those demands. 

My comment on experience isn't just specifically premier league, although of those you mentioned, Grealish is the only one id hope to see in the starting lineup next season,  maybe Elmo if we prioritise other reinforcements... this,  for me,  is a concern at the moment. 

Fwiw, I do expect Dean and co to be aware of this and to remedy it this window, unlike previous regimes who released players with no plan and no alternative, I think we've got a plan. Just not sure I can think who these experiences hires will be.

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Possibly right on Cahill, but feel his combination of having played for us before (and being forced out through no fault of his own) and what he has won at Chelsea means he'd be worth signing on a free. Our history with him may mean we get him for less than others would pay, but if he wants top dollar then i'd agree his current ability isn't enough to match those demands. 

My comment on experience isn't just specifically premier league, although of those you mentioned, Grealish is the only one id hope to see in the starting lineup next season,  maybe Elmo if we prioritise other reinforcements... this,  for me,  is a concern at the moment. 

Fwiw, I do expect Dean and co to be aware of this and to remedy it this window, unlike previous regimes who released players with no plan and no alternative, I think we've got a plan. Just not sure I can think who these experiences hires will be.

I think the thing about the word 'experienced' in a footballing context is that it's often used to mean 'being professional' or 'being a good leader'.

I think we have good leaders on the pitch(Grealish, McGinn, Mings hopefully) , in the squad(Elmo, Chester) and on the bench (Terry). I feel we have good professionals around the squad in Elmo, Taylor, again Terry. As long as the group as a whole has somebody leading them and showing them how to do things right, I think we are fine.

I'd be surprised if we sign anyone over the age of 27/28 from the quotes on transfer policy coming out of the club.

If there is a player with the right attributes to play our system, who is available and above that age then they will be considered I'm sure, but I don't think we'll be going out of our way to find them.

I would hope we won't sign somebody over 30 on big wages just to be a cheerleader, I think that's against what the new strategy is trying to achieve.

• Like 1

That Tifo podcast is really interesting, and definitely better than most analysis you hear about Villa, but there's still that usual element of it just being a load of overconfident wafflers talking out of their arses.

It became apparent at one point that their main reference point for all the tactical analysis was the three play-off matches.

I also massively disagree that signing a 33-year-old Gary Cahill makes any sense at all.

And they seem to have confused the way we played in 2018/19 with a transitional squad, with our "system". So they obsess over a like-for-like replacement for Abraham, without considering that maybe DS would be able to accommodate a different type of player up top.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 2

I would look at a case by case basis re over 30s on big wages. Generally no but there are gems out there that would make a difference as John Terry did for us last season.

Like with all players that come in, I’m not going to generalise but on a case by case basis assess each of them.  I don’t think age or what league they come from are the deciding factors for me but what they can bring to the team and do they fit how Dean wants to play.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I would look at a case by case basis re over 30s on big wages. Generally no but there are gems out there that would make a difference as John Terry did for us last season.

Like with all players that come in, I’m not going to generalise but on a case by case basis assess each of them.  I don’t think age or what league they come from are the deciding factors for me but what they can bring to the team and do they fit how Dean wants to play.

I agree a case by case basis is entirely right. If there's somebody that ticks all of the boxes and would actually be able to play and improve the team (i.e. Milner) then I think we would look at them as a possibility. I just don't think there's many of them out there.

Our policy is now to buy younger hungrier players which have a re-sale value and to then develop them. Over 30's have no re-sale value and are far less likely to develop any further.

So our strategy is clearly going to be looking at younger players going forward.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

That Tifo podcast is really interesting, and definitely better than most analysis you hear about Villa, but there's still that usual element of it just being a load of overconfident wafflers talking out of their arses.

It became apparent at one point that their main reference point for all the tactical analysis was the three play-off matches.

I also massively disagree that signing a 33-year-old Gary Cahill makes any sense at all.

And they seem to have confused the way we played in 2018/19 with a transitional squad, with our "system". So they obsess over a like-for-like replacement for Abraham, without considering that maybe DS would be able to accommodate a different type of player up top.

It has to be said that although they dont know as much about our squad as we do they know a lot more about squad development and the league as it stands.

A lot of it was hard to listen to but it is a view that has to be taken seriously. 

We do need an awful lot of work and it will be touch and go whether we can stay up!

18 hours ago, KMitch said:

Are you kidding me?  He was easily one of the top 5 keepers in the Premier League last season.  He's absolutely fantastic all around and would be a massive improvement on Steer.  He would be the most reliable keeper we've had since Big Brad, IMO.  Some of you guys need to take off the claret & blue tinted glasses for a moment.  I love Steer and I'm happy to see the lad do well, but TBH, he didn't have much to do during our winning run and still had a few nervous moments.  Etheridge, IMO, is good enough for a team chasing a Europa League place, at least.  To get him for the reported 10 million would be the bargain signing of the season.

We've just spent £7m on Croatia's first choice goalkeeper and he deserves a proper chance to show what he can do. He's played 8 games. I don't think Etheridge is going to move the needle that much for what we would have to pay for him. If we really are looking for a new keeper, then I'd rather be a bit more ambitious and go for someone like Jiri Pavlenka or Timo Horn.

3 minutes ago, abdomlahor said:

We've just spent £7m on Croatia's first choice goalkeeper and he deserves a proper chance to show what he can do. He's played 8 games. I don't think Etheridge is going to move the needle that much for what we would have to pay for him. If we really are looking for a new keeper, then I'd rather be a bit more ambitious and go for someone like Jiri Pavlenka or Timo Horn.

We get a bit too fixated on him being Croatia's first choice goalkeeper. Yes, they're a country that has produced some world class players, and has reached a WC Final, but he hasn't really been involved in any of that. Croatia has a small population, and besides the superstars, they often pad out their squads with some very average players.

What makes you think that a player with 102 apps for Hajduk Split and 68 apps for Gent is likely to be the real deal?

My preference would be Butland or Etheridge. Goalkeeper is a position where PL experience makes a big difference, and both of them have proved they can cut it in the PL. Aged 26 and 29 respectively, that gives you at least 6 seasons, assuming most keepers retain form into their mid-30s.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, abdomlahor said:

6m Euro

Tavernier is great on the ball, I could see why he might be a favourite of DS. Always wary of SPL players making the step up though, the gap in quality cannot be put into words.