Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Just now, rodders0223 said:

It's only money saved if you don't spunk it up the wall ( yet again)

We seem to have this celebration every 3 or 4 year cycle, hopefully this is the end of it.
Looking at the start of the McCormack thread I mentioned the sums involved and the fee with tredipdation and the usual "not my money" type comments were posted.

We cannot keep doing this.

completely agree there, we MUST learn this time, no excuses.

in Deano we trust ❤️

52 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Exactly. Mccormack is on 70k... Let that sink in! I do think 120k is a bit steep for an unproven 21 year old though. 

He’s on the square root of sweet FA now, though he’ll obviously be sitting pretty on a payoff, which he’ll probably squander in a few years

17 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Is it just me or is that showreel not that impressive?! Weak punches, no catching, looks like it's edited so many of the follow ups were goals and a majority of the saves either directly at him or off an arm rather than a solid hand on them. 

Not just you. Parried everything and tried to make pretty simple stops look spectacular. 

23 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Is it just me or is that showreel not that impressive?! Weak punches, no catching, looks like it's edited so many of the follow ups were goals and a majority of the saves either directly at him or off an arm rather than a solid hand on them. 

Yeah he seemed to use his wrist a good bit to put stuff over the bar. Very odd indeed 

26 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

You've just decribed every keeper we've had over the last few years 😂

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Genuinly don't think he's an upgrade on Steer

He more than showed his worth for Cardiff, 10/11 clean sheets and saved 3 penalties. It's an obvious signing to me given his links to Smith/Cutler from Walsall so expect this to happen soon.

Ethridge might be a good signing from a financial perspective, isnt he the only Philipine national in the Premiership?, if thats true we would basically have a 100m Phillipines population with one Premiership club to support :)

Reminds me of the 90s with Nakata (Japan) at Fiorentina, i remember them saying they made 3 or 4 times his transfer cost via merchandise etc.

Might also be looking for a good Asian/Japansese player.......

I know money isnt everything, but getting a foothold in emerging fottballing countries with multiple millions of people wanting to support a club with one of their own nationalities playing is good business sense, if you can find a player of suitable quality.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Pinch of salt the goalkeeper stats with relegated clubs. I remember watching Carson go down with Charlton and I thought he was going to be the new Yashin.

Yeah I can understand that, Ben Foster looked amazing with Watford around the same time but couldn't step up at Man. United.

I would say in the two seasons before Etheridge played in two teams at the top of their leagues (Cardiff and Walsall) and was equally as comfortable with not as much to do.

I said it before but I see this as similar signing as West Ham getting Fabianski from Swansea when they were relegated. He was brilliant for them last season and for 7m that was one of the bargains of the season so we should be doing similar.

40 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Some saves were outstanding. Others looked like he could have just simply held them. He is very athletic and has strong wrists though.  

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Some saves were outstanding. Others looked like he could have just simply held them. He is very athletic and has strong wrists though.  

happy kenneth williams GIF

Is that one? I’m so excited by McCormack leaving I don’t even know what’s innuendo anymore.

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Ethridge might be a good signing from a financial perspective, isnt he the only Philipine national in the Premiership?, if thats true we would basically have a 100m Phillipines population with one Premiership club to support :)

Reminds me of the 90s with Nakata (Japan) at Fiorentina, i remember them saying they made 3 or 4 times his transfer cost via merchandise etc.

Might also be looking for a good Asian/Japansese player.......

I know money isnt everything, but getting a foothold in emerging fottballing countries with multiple millions of people wanting to support a club with one of their own nationalities playing is good business sense, if you can find a player of suitable quality.

If they get him on local TV singing or doing some stupid stuff in a Villa shirt then maybe 4 or 5 people might take notice 😝 Not that it matters, Fanatics don't ship kits here anyway. I'm 100% behind the signing though, will save me loads of time explaining who Villa are when I can just say "Our keeper is Filipino and our owner own's the bucks" ('dem Filipino's love basketball). Might also stop the Mrs being a secret Manc 🙄

Edited by Chewie

2 minutes ago, Chewie said:

If they get him on local TV singing or doing some stupid stuff in a Villa shirt then maybe 4 or 5 people might take notice 😝 Not that it matters, Fanatics don't ship kits here anyway. I'm 100% behind the signing though, will save me loads of time explaining who Villa are when I can just say "Our keeper is Filipino and our owner own's the bucks" ('dem Filipino's love basketball) 🤣

I read that he own a Goalkeeping academy in Manila. For a lad that was born and bred in the UK I like the sound of that. Seems a good guy.