Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Some good points raised in that Tifo video,

As they mention, along with defence, the striking department is of course in need of work. It doesn't look like Tammy will be coming back and it is a concern to lose 25+ goals from the team. However in reality Abrahams' record in the prem is not so hot so it's not quite as obvious as just being about him in my view.

Firstly we have Davis who has clearly impressed Dean Smith, although of course he is untried at Prem level.  It's a start at least and in my experience a decent striker who is unknown to the division can be quite effective in their first season (See Benteke). I feel he may have more of an impact than has been mentioned.

As for who else we have currently?  I can't really see Kodija being hugely effective although maybe he might chip in with a few. I see a 6 - 8 striker in him at best so ok as a sub maybe and he certainly can produce the unexpected on occasion so he may come in handy.

Hogan is surely gone now so we can forget him and that's about it!

So yes we seriously need a striker who can score regularly at this level. It may be tough to attract someone though and it is a huge concern.

As for midfield i think we are not far off.... but not quite there yet with a DM of course being urgent now Whelan & Jedi have departed. Elghazi if he signs & Hourihane are unknown at this level and will either fly or die which equals risk, Mcginn is too but surely he will thrive? It looks like it may be Jota on the right so i'll trust Deano's judgment on that one!

So to defence. We just have to sign Mings as it looks like Tuanzebe will not be coming back. Hause can partner him but with Elphick also leaving and Chester crocked we need major work back there especially considering the weakness at LB too. I think it's been well documented that our weakness is the fullbacks. The new guy from France is again an unkown quantity and you can't help but worry if he was bought with the Chamionship in mind.

Also looks from that podcast that Kalinic is unsettled so a keeper is needed too surely?!

Exciting times indeed but also we need to move and get the team gelling pronto else it'll be over before it's really got going.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

We get a bit too fixated on him being Croatia's first choice goalkeeper. Yes, they're a country that has produced some world class players, and has reached a WC Final, but he hasn't really been involved in any of that. Croatia has a small population, and besides the superstars, they often pad out their squads with some very average players.

What makes you think that a player with 102 apps for Hajduk Split and 68 apps for Gent is likely to be the real deal?

My preference would be Butland or Etheridge. Goalkeeper is a position where PL experience makes a big difference, and both of them have proved they can cut it in the PL. Aged 26 and 29 respectively, that gives you at least 6 seasons, assuming most keepers retain form into their mid-30s.

It's not so much that he's their first choice goalkeeper. It's more that we've seemingly been fixated on him for years (literally) and we're willing to give up on him after two months.

1 hour ago, useless said:

We could conceivably go out and sign Cahill, Barry, Milner, Delph, and Benteke, they all know each other and the club so there'd be no settling in period.

What about Ashley Young?

4 minutes ago, abdomlahor said:

It's not so much that he's their first choice goalkeeper. It's more that we've seemingly been fixated on him for years (literally) and we're willing to give up on him after two months.

He was brought in as an emergency January signing for the Championship because Nyland was hopeless. We've now stepped up a level and have a summer transfer window, so it's not that crazy to move him on again if Smith's decided he's not good enough. We could of course keep him on for another season and let him fight for a place, but my sense is that there's nothing in his career record so far to suggest he's a PL keeper.

13 minutes ago, wedge said:

Tavernier is great on the ball, I could see why he might be a favourite of DS. Always wary of SPL players making the step up though, the gap in quality cannot be put into words.

John McGinn!

Edited by OxfordVillan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

What about Ashley Young?

I'm on twitter trying to follow the latest, and it just seems to be everyone wishing Ian Taylor an happy birthday.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

I'm on twitter trying to follow the latest, and it just seems to be everyone wishing Ian Taylor an happy birthday.

He's a great shout but he's 51 now. ;) Happy Birthday to Ian by the way! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Very interesting watch.

Some interesting points - makes you realise how hard next year is going to be - especially if we don’t sign most of the 5 loan players! 

It would be understandable if we signed players such as Jota, Etheridge etc. On realistic wages and reasonable fees as opposed to spending millions on more “glamorous” signings. At least then if we got relegated we’d have a team we could keep to come straight back up. 

It’s a business at the end of the day. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, wedge said:

Tavernier is great on the ball, I could see why he might be a favourite of DS. Always wary of SPL players making the step up though, the gap in quality cannot be put into words.

It actually can, it's not a big as people down south think imo. Look at Aberdeen last season, took a Burnley team who finished 7th in the Premier League to extra time and were unlucky not to beat them. That's Aberdeen, not even Rangers or Celtic.

We just witnessed over the weekend, two of England's best footballing teams in one of the worst matches we've seen in a long time, playing for the biggest club prize. Yet people want to belittle the SPL, where Van Dijk came from, Armstrong at Southampton had a really good season when he got in the team. Maddison at Leicester had a season on loan up there and has been quoted as saying it helped his development.

The only gap is the financial one, which to be fair is astronomic but even all that money doesn't guarantee success.  

Tavernier would be a solid signing at RB, I have no doubt over that. He's got a great delivery, good engine and very rarely injured.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

Some interesting points - makes you realise how hard next year is going to be -

We just need to get our recruitment right. We need to sign a lot of players this summer, if we get good ones we'll stay up, if we buy bad players we'll get relegated.  

3 hours ago, useless said:

We could conceivably go out and sign Cahill, Barry, Milner, Delph, and Benteke, they all know each other and the club so there'd be no settling in period.

There would be a re-settling period however.

15 minutes ago, Jareth said:

IDK...  Strange one to me.  More of a Box-To-Box type midfielder.  Reminds me a lot of Hourihane with a better tackle, but a worse shot.