Racism Part two

Demitri_C

Derek Chauvin, the cop charged with killing George Floyd has posted his $1m bond and is out on the streets. Sure this will go down well.

Wonder which lovely people helped him with the money. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can't say I agree with the need for an internal investigation. Its not as if its now a mandatory requirement before a game. Les Ferdinand was right, its message has ben lost.

Actions needed not empty gestures 

Newport County chairman Gavin Foxall says he will investigate why the teams did not take a knee before their 1-0 League Two win over Tranmere Rovers.

Foxall said the gesture, in support of Black Lives Matter, was "something the referee instigates before a game".

English Football League (EFL) guidance states: "Clubs should try to mutually agree an approach before each match.

"Match officials are briefed to facilitate any variation of request(s)."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54587533

Edited by Xela
correct linky added
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Can't say I agree with the need for an internal investigation. Its not as if its now a mandatory requirement before a game. Les Ferdinand was right, its message has ben lost.

Just looks like they're trying to find out why, and if they were following the guidelines. Don't think they'll get reprimanded for not doing it. It's a nice gesture, but it should be treated as such, just a gesture.

Just watched the first episode of Grayson Perry's Big American Road Trip on All 4. Some really interesting conversations with black Americans in there, recommended viewing. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Just watched the first episode of Grayson Perry's Big American Road Trip on All 4. Some really interesting conversations with black Americans in there, recommended viewing. 

This was on my list but didn’t actually put it on my playlist. Thanks for the reminder. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It's a very interesting series. It goes outside of race in the latter episodes, particularly the second one which asks some questions of the liberal world in the US.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

😬

This guy is a member of the legislature of this country.

It’s also makes her sound like some kind of underworld villain you never see the face of just a shadow whose name is whispered with fear

8 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

It’s also makes her sound like some kind of underworld villain you never see the face of just a shadow whose name is whispered with fear

Or the ironically-cast henchman in a straight-to-video Guy Ritchie rip-off.

• Haha 1

On 21/10/2020 at 17:42, Xela said:

I did mean to ask over the past couple of games, at what point do we stop doing this? I have to admit, I assumed it would be a one off a few months ago. Is this now just something that happens until racism is defeated (i.e., forever).

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Is the word coloured when describing someone racist ?

i was surprised to be honest, because i believe 'person of colour' is fine? i dunno, he seemed to apologise at the time and gave a logical explanation. not sure i agree with the outrage

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Is the word coloured when describing someone racist ?

I'm 28 and I can't remember a time in my life when I didn't know not to use it.

You can argue all you want over how it is less offensive than other words, but the simple fact is people have known for decades it can be seen as offensive and for someone to still use it shows they are not equipped for the modern world or being wilfully ignorant.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I'm 28 and I can't remember a time in my life when I didn't know not to use it.

You can argue all you want over how it is less offensive than other words, but the simple fact is people have known for decades it can be seen as offensive and for someone to still use it shows they are not equipped for the modern world or being wilfully ignorant.

i'm not equipped for the modern world then...i genuinely had no idea. can't personally remember an instance of me using it though, but honestly didn't know it was seen as offensive

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i was surprised to be honest, because i believe 'person of colour' is fine? i dunno, he seemed to apologise at the time and gave a logical explanation. not sure i agree with the outrage

There are some nuanced differences in contemporary terminology. It is such light lifting to try to respect the differences and the people who may take umbrage with a particular word or term.

• Like 1

Â