Racism Part two

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Certainly sounds like a Chuck Norris film!

You kind of know what you’re going to get how you get it in spades 🤣The start of the film is surreal with wholesome American families going about their own business In various scenarios preparing for Christmas being shot bombed to **** for no apparent reason By forces unknown which remains the same throughout the film but being slowly chased down by Chuck Norris in a denim shirt buttoned to the navel With an uzi in each hand 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

slowly chased down by Chuck Norris in a denim shirt buttoned to the navel With an uzi in each hand 

Not all heroes wear capes 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Our country is **** tragic. Honestly.

It is.

You got to be braindead to even watch Britain's Got (No) Talent, let alone complain about someone's ugly jewellery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Our country is **** tragic. Honestly.

They complained that a lesbian dancer wanted to have a same sex partner on a dancing show. The country is quite, quite conservative when you scratch the surface.

Dunno what they they were worried about though in that case given the show has historically booted black women asap iirc.

Is 1,900 people complaining really news? It tends to get at least  8,000,000 viewers. Why are they writing articles and drawing attention about 0.0002% of viewers having a problem?

It's the equivalent of about 10 people complaining in a packed out Villa Park. It's hardly an example of the country going to the dogs.

The problem with publicising such petty complaints is that now there's a headline, more dickheads will pile on. Ofcom really should be able to tell people to shut the **** up and change the channel rather than pretending it's a complaint with any merit.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

With this, and the complaint about Diversity and then the racist abuse Ashley Banjo received, and then the stick Rashford gets for feeding hungry children, rather than sticking to football, I'll stick with my original assessment.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Is 1,900 people complaining really news? It tends to get at least  8,000,000 viewers. Why are they writing articles and drawing attention about 0.0002% of viewers having a problem?

It's the equivalent of about 10 people complaining in a packed out Villa Park. It's hardly an example of the country going to the dogs.

The problem with publicising such petty complaints is that now there's a headline, more dickheads will pile on. Ofcom really should be able to tell people to shut the **** up and change the channel rather than pretending it's a complaint with any merit.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Whilst this is true, 1900 complaints would put it as the tenth most complained about thing on TV (to Ofcom) ever. 

The Diversity complaints (24,500) would put them in second place, about 1000 complaints behind "punchgate" from celebrity big brother.

Third place had only 8,002 complaints so the jump from that to the Diversity complaint is huge.

So yes as a percentage of viewers it's very small. But compared to other complaints in the past these two incidents are right up there. Which when you consider they are anti-racism "incidents" is **** mental

Yes, it is newsworthy because as Stevo says, that is a very high volume of complaints. It is also newsworthy because that volume of complaints is often only achieved with an organised campaign, which tells us something in itself. It's probable that an organised campaign was involved in this case (it certainly was in the Diversity case).

I haven’t seen the diversity routine that spawned the plethora of complaints but, I do think it was perhaps a little borderline (from what I read) in terms of being okay for what is a family show intended for kids as much (perhaps more) than adults.

It’s a very adult theme / context and I’m not saying kids shouldn’t be aware and educated on the subject but maybe not in this way, maybe, but what do I know.

18 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I haven’t seen the diversity routine that spawned the plethora of complaints but, I do think it was perhaps a little borderline (from what I read) in terms of being okay for what is a family show intended for kids as much (perhaps more) than adults.

It’s a very adult theme / context and I’m not saying kids shouldn’t be aware and educated on the subject but maybe not in this way, maybe, but what do I know.

I'd be very surprised if that was why the majority of people who complained were complaining

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I'll be honest and say I've not followed the story and also, BGT is not something I watch  so I didn't see the performance  .. but reading their explanation of the performance it was   "The performance contextualised COVID-19 and racism as two diseases inflicting British society" .

Diversity seem to have felt this UK racism was best contextualised  by restaging images that took place in the USA of  a white policeman kneeling on the neck of a Black man  ...  I mean it's an image everybody knows , but it doesn't really reflect what they claim if you ask me   .... but that's by the by , I think we know the type of people who were complaining ..and why  ...

Ofcoms decision will just be more fuel for the ignorant next time a comedy show gets taken off-air, and they take to social media to claim we can't watch a repeat of a 70's comedy show, but they did nothing about Diversity on BGT ,share if you agree ....and some parts of  society continue to  learn nothing 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd be very surprised if that was why the majority of people who complained were complaining

More than likely a fair comment but still, I think there’s a time and a place for certain content and I’m not sure a family show is necessarily the right platform for re-enacting a murder scene.

Irrespective of the wider context.

Â