Racism Part two

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, it is newsworthy because as Stevo says, that is a very high volume of complaints. It is also newsworthy because that volume of complaints is often only achieved with an organised campaign, which tells us something in itself. It's probable that an organised campaign was involved in this case (it certainly was in the Diversity case).

I would guess that people who complained in the previous Diversity case got a bit of a taste for it and some of them complained again for this one, rather than it being organised again. 

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

I would guess that people who complained in the previous Diversity case got a bit of a taste for it and some of them complained again for this one, rather than it being organised again. 

Yes, it's probably being organised from the same eg Facebook groups.

58 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d be surprised if the majority of complaint weren't for that reason. 

Really? I think that's very naive.

I think most people who complained would have been people that don't like BLM. They couldn't care what it meant for kids

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, it's probably being organised from the same eg Facebook groups.

I didn’t see it but to be honest the first thing that sprang to mind was a modern day Legs Akimbo

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

More than likely a fair comment but still, I think there’s a time and a place for certain content and I’m not sure a family show is necessarily the right platform for re-enacting a murder scene.

Irrespective of the wider context.

Family time TV, can’t beat it.

1983, The Tubes are on The Tube.

If you don’t want to watch it all, I’ll summarise:

cross dressing, greased up guy in gimp mask sexually assaults E.T., audience member kidnapped at gunpoint, lead singer shot dead

29 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

on The Tube.

Ah what a show, rarely missed an episode. Imagine that now even with ALL the channels we have access to. 5:30 teatime on the newly commisioned 4th TV channel. An anarchic, youth, mainly music based show with live bands on for an hour and a half and show went out live and yes sweary words did often happen at TEATIME!!!

Back then, Jools Holland wasn't a rocket polisher either

Also most of the clips of the show you'll find on that Youtube thing are from peoples personal recordings, because the Geordie Oafs recorded over a lot the tapes with other shows, (like the all the lost footage fro 60's never taught them a lesson - fecking morons)

That show would never happen now

Remember the Frankie Goes to Hollywood episode. Oh My God, that'd cause the current complainers to have a blue fit, This went out at teatime!!!!

As a slight aside. that very stage FGTH are on at the start of the video was the very stage years later I DJed from on a Thursday Night AND was also the Scene of that Bronski beat video I'm in (the fairly legendary club The State - see also Letter to Brezhnev)

• Like 3

I watched that Frankie show. Sat there with my parents, just utterly gobsmacked.

In fairness, my dad did start watching the Tube for a while after that!

that’s proper made me smile, seeing that again

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 2

On the subject of old music show nostalgia, worth looking into the Chart Music podcast. Very funny deep dives into old episodes of ToTP with ex Melody Maker journalists, hosted by their mate who has lead a, err, very interesting life. Bloody funny and interesting even for someone who is far too young to have seen any of the stuff they're talking about. Hearing them tear into Simon Bates and DLT, or wax lyrical about some obscure long forgotten band or great classic.

I nearly pissed myself on hearing a discussion of Tony Blackburn's inability to get over his relationship going down the pan in a recent episode - 'I've driven away more beautiful women than a Swedish undertaker' :crylaugh:

• Like 1

To segue from the above into something more overtly on topic, a recent Sam Harris podcast discussed the current 'state' of racism discussion, which is decried ultimately as 'the new religion of anti-racism'. I'm not sure I entirely agree (it has Harris' usual problem of attacking the most extreme position as something that defines the general position) but it's an interesting listen. It follows on from a previous, controversial, podcast were he argued that the idea of institutional racist violence in the police is nonsense.

17 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

I didn’t see it but to be honest the first thing that sprang to mind was a modern day Legs Akimbo

I remember hearing talksport presenter Paul Hawksbee (on hearing that expression) saying :

"Legs Akimbo ? 'Arry tried to sign him from the french 2nd division  - good player !" 

i laughed out loud at the time....but....is that a bit racist ? 🤔

4 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

I remember hearing talksport presenter Paul Hawksbee (on hearing that expression) saying :

"Legs Akimbo ? 'Arry tried to sign him from the french 2nd division  - good player !" 

i laughed out loud at the time....but....is that a bit racist ? 🤔

Listen son, i'm in me sixties son, yaknoworramean son ? I've bin gooin down stans many a year cos i'm in me sixties son.......orroight, never seen any racism at stans not like at the vile park

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Listen son, i'm in me sixties son, yaknoworramean son ? I've bin gooin down stans many a year cos i'm in me sixties son.......orroight, never seen any racism at stans not like at the vile park

You are Erdo Pete and i claim my £10.

Son.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Not willing to bankrupt herself again?

I'd like to have seen the expression on her face if she had to type that out herself (I'd imagine it was copied and pasted from the correspondence with the oppo's lawyers).

Edit:

:D

Edited by snowychap
  • Thanks 1

Â