Racism Part two

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

This story had passed me by and had to see which “Clarke” this was concerning. 

There’s a certain sense of deja vu here as it’s nearly ten years ago that Alan Hansen found himself apologising for saying “coloured”.

That was 10 years ago!? :mellow:

That’s the most shocking thing in this whole thread.

20 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

The same here, we were actually encouraged to use the word as opposed to other more derogatory terms that were widely used in the 70’s, half caste was also also deemed more favourable than ‘touch of the tar brush about him/her’ etc. Each generation is educated on race differently from the last as the world pulls down slowly racial barriers. Who is to say the term African American will not be frowned upon in twenty years  ? The guy is clearly not a racist but given his role should be more aware of current terminology

Touch of the what now?

It really was rough out there in the 70's huh?

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

This story had passed me by and had to see which “Clarke” this was concerning. 

There’s a certain sense of deja vu here as it’s nearly ten years ago that Alan Hansen found himself apologising for saying “coloured”.

Not sport related , but I seem to recall Benedict Cumberbatch got in trouble for using it the other year ?

At the time there was quite a bit of a stir over Cumberbatch and it made news for a few days  , you'd think people would think , right note to self , don't use the word coloured unless its about putting my pants in the washing machine

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Not sport related , but I seem to recall Benedict Cumberbatch got in trouble for using it the other year ?

At the time there was quite a bit of a stir over Cumberbatch and it made news for a few days  , you'd think people would think , right note to self , don't use the word coloured unless its about putting my pants in the washing machine

Your post has made me realise for the first time how inherently racist the washing powder industry is

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Nailed it twice in as many posts.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

That being said, it comes off as being pretty out of touch, which is an unfortunate impression the FA often give in their handling of race IMO. 

Agreed 100%.

He's apologised and stood down. I think it's a bit of a shame. I guess you could argue that if he was going to learn this lesson, he should have done it years ago, but I find it a bit sad to see people make what looks like a genuine mistake they regret and feel like they need to resign over it while bona fide racist shitheads deny everything, dig their heels in, and seem utterly untouchable.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Agreed 100%.

He's apologised and stood down. I think it's a bit of a shame. I guess you could argue that if he was going to learn this lesson, he should have done it years ago, but I find it a bit sad to see people make what looks like a genuine mistake they regret and feel like they need to resign over it while bona fide racist shitheads deny everything, dig their heels in, and seem utterly untouchable.

I get this sentiment, I really do but the reverse side of that is next time someone else does something similar (with more intent to offend or whatever), they will point to Clarke not resigning or being sacked as some sort of defence. Then we have a problem on our hands again

15 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Five years ago, but yeah, very recent and from someone who really should have known better.

Indeed Cumberbatch himself had previously shown some awareness of sensitivity elsewhere by saying that his fan base, who call themselves “cumberbitches” should be known as “cumberpeople”. That, coupled with a pretty prompt and seemingly sincere apology suggested it was misinformed and ill-judged rather than malicious. 

Bit of a tricky one. He’s done the right thing, but it could be confusing. Perhaps we should refer to this fine organisation for guidance

ABOUT THE NAACP

Founded in 1909 in response to the ongoing violence against Black people around the country, the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People) is the largest and most pre-eminent civil rights organization in the nation. We have over 2,200 units and branches across the nation, along with well over 2M activists. Our mission is to secure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights in order to eliminate race-based discrimination and ensure the health and well-being of all persons.

The NAACP is a c4 organization (contributions are not tax-deductible), and we have a partner c3 organization known as NAACP Empowerment Programs (contributions are fully tax-deductible as allowed by the IRS).

Please contact development@naacpnet.org should you wish to donate. In media attributions, please refer to us as the NAACP.

NOTE: The Legal Defense Fund – also referred to as the NAACP-LDF was founded in 1940 as a part of the NAACP, but separated in 1957 to become a completely separate entity. It is recognized as the nation’s first civil and human rights law organization, and shares our commitment to equal rights.

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Agreed 100%.

Donald Trump GIF by CBS News

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont think clarke should have resigned as i dont think in the context was that bad fir him ro resign 

He also made a comment about South Asians being more likely to want to work in IT than play football.

Worse has been said by others but, if we're talking context, it was all said in a talk about diversity from the head of the FA.

7 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

He also made a comment about South Asians being more likely to want to work in IT than play football.

Worse has been said by others but, if we're talking context, it was all said in a talk about diversity from the head of the FA.

Wasn’t there a “lifestyle choice “phrase used about gay people as well ? 

Maybe in isolation he could get away with all 3 but seen together it suggests someone who is living in 1970 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Ha yes fair point.

15 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Wasn’t there a “lifestyle choice “phrase used about gay people as well ? 

Maybe in isolation he could get away with all 3 but seen together it suggests someone who is living in 1970 

That really was very innocuous, but with the other stuff said appears another unfortunate slip.

He said something like 'footballers know who the gay players are and there's no problem with it, it's their choice'.

Tbh if the rest hadn't happened I'm not sure this would have been picked up on. I saw it as meaning it's their choice who they date/sleep with.

The worst thing about all of this is he was seemingly trying to be an 'ally' in all of his comments, so there is clearly an education issue in the FA.

It’s a tough one, context is so important, You have to look at the wider conversation and point being made. 

otherwise if you take stuff literally or out of context a lot of people are going to lose their jobs pretty quickly. 

every edgy joke made at work, quoting BrassEye or Day Today. 

Only need to look at the jokes thread on here and you could take plenty of those and get 2020 offended by a fair few of them. 

Â