Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

I think some of these comments are unfair, his level of performance over the season so far have been very good I think. I also think that Dwight McNeil is a very tricky customer, I thought Guilbert dealt with him quite well, we won 2-1 against Burnley at Turf Moor, if you can’t be happy then, when can you?

17 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think some of these comments are unfair, his level of performance over the season so far have been very good I think. I also think that Dwight McNeil is a very tricky customer, I thought Guilbert dealt with him quite well, we won 2-1 against Burnley at Turf Moor, if you can’t be happy then, when can you?

I’m not being critical of him as a player overall - I like him and think he could be really good. 

That said, I don’t know if you watched the game today or not, but his 2nd half performance was indefensible imo. 

As I said, I’m not really one for singling players out - especially after a win, but I genuinely thought he was going too cost us today. The primary defensive job as a full back/wing back has to be to stop crosses coming in from your side. 

It wasn’t like he was up against some amazing tricky winger who was simply too good, it was an average left back. 

I could have stood out there in my slippers, with a spliff on the go and hit pings into our box today from that side in the 2nd half. It was woeful. 

To be fare, I think I must have blinkers on concerning fred.

Hes become my favourite new player through his tenacity hard work and looking far more likely to win the ball or move it quickly than Elmo.

Today their left winger did cross it several times, the majority from memory were after fred got caught late and was hobbling around for some time.

A player beats him up the pitch, 9 out of 10 times he is running back and either winning a tackle or blocking anything.

There is still very little movement on the right, he to me didn't play as bad as some suggest, it looked like most players reverted back to passive football after the break which allows the other team to build possession and confidence.

Hes one of the only ones to keep that aggression and desire to win the ball in the 2nd half.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

I’m not being critical of him as a player overall - I like him and think he could be really good. 

That said, I don’t know if you watched the game today or not, but his 2nd half performance was indefensible imo. 

As I said, I’m not really one for singling players out - especially after a win, but I genuinely thought he was going too cost us today. The primary defensive job as a full back/wing back has to be to stop crosses coming in from your side. 

It wasn’t like he was up against some amazing tricky winger who was simply too good, it was an average left back. 

I could have stood out there in my slippers, with a spliff on the go and hit pings into our box today from that side in the 2nd half. It was woeful. 

Why are we sat in the stands then? I hate posts like this, they are professionals footballers who are paid by their clubs. We, as fans, pay to watch them, I thought Dwight McNeil was good for them today, very good young player. I think Guilbert on the whole has been very good for us for this season, maybe that’s just me, I don’t know

1 hour ago, brummybloke said:

To be fare, I think I must have blinkers on concerning fred.

Hes become my favourite new player through his tenacity hard work and looking far more likely to win the ball or move it quickly than Elmo.

Today their left winger did cross it several times, the majority from memory were after fred got caught late and was hobbling around for some time.

A player beats him up the pitch, 9 out of 10 times he is running back and either winning a tackle or blocking anything.

There is still very little movement on the right, he to me didn't play as bad as some suggest, it looked like most players reverted back to passive football after the break which allows the other team to build possession and confidence.

Hes one of the only ones to keep that aggression and desire to win the ball in the 2nd half.

Reading comments, then came to this and feel same as you, because I like him, do I only see the positives?

Now I think about it, they did get a lot of joy down that side, but overall I thought he was OK.

30 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Reading comments, then came to this and feel same as you, because I like him, do I only see the positives?

Now I think about it, they did get a lot of joy down that side, but overall I thought he was OK.

As a team we do seem to allow the opposition to cross the ball an awful lot. He’s a handy little (extremely likeable) player but certainly a position to be looked at again in the summer. 

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

As a team we do seem to allow the opposition to cross the ball an awful lot. He’s a handy little (extremely likeable) player but certainly a position to be looked at again in the summer. 

I think a bit like El Ghazi (though not as bad) he struggles a bit with consistency. He’s had vgames where he’s been very effective defensively but today wasn’t one of them. 

As you say the regularity with which he was getting skinned and them getting dangerous crosses in was doing my head in. 

39 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I think a bit like El Ghazi (though not as bad) he struggles a bit with consistency. He’s had vgames where he’s been very effective defensively but today wasn’t one of them. 

As you say the regularity with which he was getting skinned and them getting dangerous crosses in was doing my head in. 

I feel like I say this on every thread but the lad has played something like 15 Premier League games - it’s going to take time for him to become consistent at this level. I don’t disagree with your point though! But plenty of potential there and I think if we stick with him we will have a very good right back on our hands.

• Like 3

I really like him, like a lot of our players he's still acclimatizing to the league, but I rate him overall.

Let's not forget this guy joined us when we were mid table in the championship, when there was no guarantee we would get promoted that season, citing the reason as something like  "its Aston Villa, they are a huge club, and I want to help them get back to the Prem".

Earns some brownie points from me.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Had a fantastic first half. Absolutely superb. Considering some of the comments what on earth did he do second half? Take a shit on the pitch?

Villa fans happened

stupid lloyd bridges GIF

If only some of the more supposed skillfully players such as trez adopted the determination to win, some of the defensive midfielders with heading or tackling and some of the players whose heads go down.

Every game matters to him and he plays it like its life or death. And has a bit of skill thrown in with the never say die attitude

• Like 3

20 hours ago, brummybloke said:

If only some of the more supposed skillfully players such as trez adopted the determination to win, some of the defensive midfielders with heading or tackling and some of the players whose heads go down.

Every game matters to him and he plays it like its life or death. And has a bit of skill thrown in with the never say die attitude

I wonder if he could he play in the middle? 

It's didn't go.down that well when Barry moved from right back the.modfield or  when millner moved from the wing to midfield, Southgate from midfield to CB and a certain  god from midfield to CB.  

Â