Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

35 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

even if some of his tackles look great.

His tackles are good fodder for the touch line cameras. I agree with you on his defensive duties, too: Soton got a lot of joy down our right yesterday because Fred wanted to bomb on. His tackles come from the fact he’s always having to recover. Is this just the way of the modern full back?

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

In hindsight Elmo should have been a starter all season.

Got a ton of PL experience under his belt. Never get a bad game out of him. Does the basics well and you know what you get.

I still think Guilbert is a good talent but don't think he is ready to be a starter yet.

the old PL experience you keep banging on in every thread. Maybe we should re-sign Hutton in that case

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Up until the Saints shambles i thought he was our best RB. Still learning about the Prem of course but also a threat going forwards and decent enough defensively. That performance on Saturday was outside his norm for me. He is better than that and i think he will recover but he was woeful.

It looked as though Engels & he had never been in the same team before they were shocking but then i guess Engels was also focused on trying to work out what Hause was up to which possibly caused some confusion..... All very normal when you keep changing the back 4 of course DS!

Yet was pretty much the only one in the team yesterday to put any kind of passion headers or tackles in ?

He was hung out to dry several times by el ghazi yesterday, one of el ghazi worst games. Refused all overlapping runs fred made then lost the ball each time leaving the entire right side exposed.

He made a few mistakes but each and every time he burst his balls making back ground to retrieve it.

Earlier on in the season he was making overlapping runs, he looked great, he now doesnt so whether hes been told not to ? 

Hes been the best fullback in our team this season.

Shame others dont have the same determination to win.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Yet was pretty much the only one in the team yesterday to put any kind of passion headers or tackles in ?

He was hung out to dry several times by el ghazi yesterday, one of el ghazi worst games. Refused all overlapping runs fred made then lost the ball each time leaving the entire right side exposed.

He made a few mistakes but each and every time he burst his balls making back ground to retrieve it.

Earlier on in the season he was making overlapping runs, he looked great, he now doesnt so whether hes been told not to ? 

Hes been the best fullback in our team this season.

Shame others dont have the same determination to win.

I think we have dipped as a team. But I've not been a fan of Guilbert - Error prone, out of position, poor passing

Sure - he has good work rate and while the team was doing ok that hid his shortcomings- but now it's there for all to see.

There's reason why he is fighting his second successive relegation battle.

18 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

It's like people have never come across concepts like form or confidence before.

You could copy and paste that line into pretty much every thread. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

This is nonsense. Next people will be saying how slow he is.

He's gone from fans favourite, "future elite fullback" with people worried he'll get poached by PSG to a bottler who can't tackle or pass in less than three weeks.

It's like people have never come across concepts like form or confidence before.

How long you been a Villa fan?

Win the next 3 and get ready for the "There is no reason we can;t finish top 6" posts.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

You could copy and paste that line into pretty much every thread. 

Is that the excuse for our poor summer of transfers then? The players arent actually poor, they're just low on confidence? I'd be low on confidence if I was shite at football too.

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Is that the excuse for our poor summer of transfers then? The players arent actually poor, they're just low on confidence? I'd be low on confidence if I was shite at football too.

Depends if you think the Summer transfers were poor or not I suppose. 

I don’t think they were. 

We’ve signed some good players IMO and Guilbert is one of them. 

Guilbert is probably one of the better ones but I look at Luiz, Nakamba, Trezeguet and Wesley and wonder what the hell we were thinking. We should have put that 60m towards Phillips, Benrahma and Maupay.

I want to look back and say it was a good window, but at the moment it doesn't look great. It was fairly exciting at least!

26 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Guilbert is probably one of the better ones but I look at Luiz, Nakamba, Trezeguet and Wesley and wonder what the hell we were thinking. We should have put that 60m towards Phillips, Benrahma and Maupay.

I want to look back and say it was a good window, but at the moment it doesn't look great. It was fairly exciting at least!

The 4 players combined cost 55 million. We were quoted 30 million for Phillips alone and the 2 Brentford players would have cost about £50 million combined

I could imagine the reaction if we paid over £60 million for 3 Brentford players in one window and we were in a relegation battle which we still would be

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The 4 players combined cost 55 million. We were quoted 30 million for Phillips alone and the 2 Brentford players would have cost about £50 million combined

I could imagine the reaction if we paid over £60 million for 3 Brentford players in one window and we were in a relegation battle which we still would be

Well we'd be outside the relegation zone at the very least, I have no doubt about that. I'd still say its money better spent. Don't think anyone would mind the price if these guys actually performed for us.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

Well we'd be outside the relegation zone at the very least, I have no doubt about that. I'd still say its money better spent.

well we have absolutely no knowledge of that. Its weird that 2 players from a team that finished 11th in the Championship, 12 points behind Villa and scored 9 goals less would catapult Villa to mid table in the Premier League

as I said people would be throwing tantrums if made them signings for them fees

I think Guilbert has done really well especially for the reported 5m fee. He has errors in him but I think by in large if the rest of the team, especially the midfield showed his aggression in battling for the ball we'd be in a better situation. I think Fred as with Targett are both also being exposed by the system as it's played and the lack of ball retention in forward areas. That's not saying he doesn't get caught the wrong side opponents a little too much for my liking but when your bombing on all the time it's going to happen. With Trez or Ghazi in front of him he's not going to get much cover either.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

well we have absolutely no knowledge of that. Its weird that 2 players from a team that finished 11th in the Championship, 12 points behind Villa and scored 9 goals less would catapult Villa to mid table in the Premier League

as I said people would be throwing tantrums if made them signings for them fees

I don't know why you're looking at the team's performance to make a judgement of one or 2 individual players in the team. Is Jack Grealish not an improvement in most team's midfields in the PL? Yet he's playing for a team who are now 3 points off safety. Imagine if people judged players like that.

Its not hard to improve upon the likes of Wesley, Douglas Luiz/Nakamba and Trez. Maupay for example would very,very likely be a clear improvement no matter how hard you want to try and hide behind the argument "of we don't know for sure". All signs point to him fitting perfectly in our system and he's already shown to be a good goal scorer in the PL. Benrahma and Philips although are less of a sure thing would probably still be better, there's a reason they cost more after all, its because they've proven their worth in an English league and are more sure fire things. Their high value is based heavily on the lower risk they bring to the table compared to the likes of Nakamba/Luiz and Trez.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

On 23/12/2019 at 17:06, Laughable Chimp said:

I don't know why you're looking at the team's performance to make a judgement of one or 2 individual players in the team. Is Jack Grealish not an improvement in most team's midfields in the PL? Yet he's playing for a team who are now 3 points off safety. Imagine if people judged players like that.

Its not hard to improve upon the likes of Wesley, Douglas Luiz/Nakamba and Trez. Maupay for example would very,very likely be a clear improvement no matter how hard you want to try and hide behind the argument "of we don't know for sure". All signs point to him fitting perfectly in our system and he's already shown to be a good goal scorer in the PL. Benrahma and Philips although are less of a sure thing would probably still be better, there's a reason they cost more after all, its because they've proven their worth in an English league and are more sure fire things. Their high value is based heavily on the lower risk they bring to the table compared to the likes of Nakamba/Luiz and Trez.

The issue is your previous assertion that with Philips, Benrahma and Maupay, 'we'd be outside the relegation zone at the very least', which is an absurd counterfactual that we can't possibly know. Maybe we would, maybe we wouldn't. 

On 22/12/2019 at 09:05, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think he's largely been very good for us, but the last few matches his concentration has been woeful. Last match was absolute horrid. 

El ghazi has never been coming short and neither has the rcm. There is never an easy pass on for him and it is clear that is what is making him struggle at least offensively. 

Â