Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

5 hours ago, AVTuco said:

I'm thinking that way when I post here. No way should Fred be reading through these pages.

If everyone here starts to think that you can only write here what you would say to the player himself, well it would make this site much duller.

I do think some fanboi messages every now and then would be great too!

I think there's a spectrum between what you'd say to a player's face ("I love you, can I have a selfie") and what some people say on social media ("What a useless **** word removed" x 100).

Definitely nothing wrong with criticising. It just gets a bit unnecessarily personal sometimes, from people who claim to be Villa fans.

• Like 1

Harsh to drop today for me. 

Was so angry in the first half when elmo was behind back line and lifted the ball over everyone's head, it was screaming for a drill across 6 yard box, possible OG there if not one of ours on the end. 

15 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Search for 'frederic guilbert villa forum' on Google. You don't think people look for this stuff? No need to create an account.

People look, but I think player avoid to. Especially when they do bad.

8 hours ago, Dale said:

I think he was probably being rested. I imagine he'll be back in the team for one of the next two games. It's a position where we actually have two moderately decent options, so it makes sense to do some resting over Christmas.

8 hours ago, Dale said:

Was so angry in the first half when elmo was behind back line and lifted the ball over everyone's head, it was screaming for a drill across 6 yard box, possible OG there if not one of ours on the end. 

That was very crap, great chance.

What I will say though...is that there was 8(!) Norwich players packed inside their box.

We had maybe 2 or 3? Ghazi was on his way in, maybe with Trez and Wes too far out.

There was very little to hit.

The fizz across was required though yes, I think Fred would have done that.

8 hours ago, Dale said:

He had 2 options there: Drill it across the keeper - or lay it back to an open Wes on the penalty spot.

Either option required a look to see....

... what we got was a floated ball to the back post where there were no villa players.

I'd be trying Guilbert out as a winger at the moment. Can't see why he wouldn't offer more defensively and offensively than our current wingers. Got a great cross on him, proved he can score a good goal, tracks back and can beat players. Any slip ups or defensive lapses are tidied up by the right back (probably Elmo)

• Like 2

If you could merge him with Elmo you would actually have a pretty decent player. Still think Elmo is better defensively, has much better awareness and is a far better crosser of the ball but you can see flashes of something special from time to time with fred. Still think the pair of them together on the right with the freedom to switch as & when would be our best option, Chuck el ghazi down the left side with grealish back in the middle and the wings actually look reasonably solid going forwards & backwards

I don’t like singling players out for criticism in general, especially after a hard fought win, but that was one of the worst defensive displays I’ve seen from a right back. 

He let their left back swing in cross, after cross, after cross - I don’t think he got close enough to block one. I lost count at around 7/8. 

It wasn’t even a case of people getting round him, he literally just stood 4/5 yards off at all times and let them swing crosses in. 

I like the guy and think he’ll be decent in the long run, but that was atrocious from him today and could’ve cost us. 

7 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I don’t like singling players out for criticism in general, especially after a hard fought win, but that was one of the worst defensive displays I’ve seen from a right back. 

He let their left back swing in cross, after cross, after cross - I don’t think he got close enough to block one. I lost count at around 7/8. 

It wasn’t even a case of people getting round him, he literally just stood 4/5 yards off at all times and let them swing crosses in. 

I like the guy and think he’ll be decent in the long run, but that was atrocious from him today and could’ve cost us. 

He didn’t play right back

1 minute ago, Danishlad said:

He didn’t play right back

Ok Mr pedantic - right wing back if you want to split hairs. 

He still didn’t stop a cross all game and was playing on the right-side of defence. 

He was consistently ruined by Charlie Taylor. Not a good performance at all today. I'm not sure whether this is starting to become a problem position. Guilbert's levels have dropped dramatically over the last 6-8 weeks and Elmo is hardly a stellar option.

27 minutes ago, lexicon said:

5 tackles and 6 clearances today - he's not shirking his defensive duties. I like him and think he was fine today. 

I’d like to see the stat for how many crosses Charlie Taylor put in today. 

There was a period in the 2nd half when Freddie might as well not been on the pitch. 

I like him too and maybe I am being a bit harsh, but he looked far from fine in that 2nd half to me - Taylor didn’t  even need to try and get round him, Freddie stood off and allowed him to just shift it and swing it in, time and time again. 

Hopefully a blip.  

Edited by wazzap24

25 minutes ago, lexicon said:

5 tackles and 6 clearances today - he's not shirking his defensive duties. I like him and think he was fine today. 

I guess you missed all the times Charlie Taylor got beyond him and delivered into the box. Cherry picking numbers doesn't tell the full story.

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

I guess you missed all the times Charlie Taylor got beyond him and delivered into the box. Cherry picking numbers doesn't tell the full story.

Nah, I didn't but how many were any good and uncontested by FG? A full back is never going to stop every cross but putting the winger under pressure so he stuffs it is also decent enough defending. 

Â