Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Agree but just to nitpick, Mings is actually two days older than Diego Carlos.

I didn't know that, in my head he's still 25/26. Doh.  What I mean is he has Champions League appearances, he's a Europa League winner.  You know, he has THAT type of experience compared to Mings who has only played consistently as a centre half with us. 

14 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

I didn't know that, in my head he's still 25/26. Doh.  What I mean is he has Champions League appearances, he's a Europa League winner.  You know, he has THAT type of experience compared to Mings who has only played consistently as a centre half with us. 

Yeah that’s what I was thinking you meant too. But just for the sake of being a little smart ass I had to give you some grief for it. Lol. I do agree with you on that too. I think he will be a huge benefit for Mings.

Edited by Aston_Villan4

11 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

People weren't complaining when he was part of the defence that kept 16 clean sheets in the 20/21 season. 

Yeah they were... 

I'm not sure what he'd have to do to not have some of these moaners, it's like they watch a different game 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

People weren't complaining when he was part of the defence that kept 16 clean sheets in the 20/21 season. 

It would be rare to find supporters complain about players when the team is doing well in the pitch. If strikers are scoring goals, fans love them and want them to play every week. If the stop scoring goals, fans want them dropped. 

Despite being 29 Ty is still inexperienced as top level centre half, but has had to pretend otherwise playing with even less experienced Tuanzebe and Konsa. 

I think playing with a more experienced partner will create a whole different dynamic and it could be good for him. 

Just my opinion, but our centre backs have been pretty stable for what, 3 seasons now, plenty of opportunity to show their stuff, and there hasn't really been any improvement, they are at their level. Which was fine when survival was OK, but it isn't where the owners want to be, so it makes sense to look to upgrade them surely? Every player has their time to leave, and maybe this is it for our current centre backs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Just my opinion, but our centre backs have been pretty stable for what, 3 seasons now, plenty of opportunity to show their stuff, and there hasn't really been any improvement, they are at their level. Which was fine when survival was OK, but it isn't where the owners want to be, so it makes sense to look to upgrade them surely? Every player has their time to leave, and maybe this is it for our current centre backs.

I take a different spin.

In our defensive line it's been Mings that has had to carry a large part of the load. Konsa, Tuanzebe, Hause and perhaps even Chambers haven't been as dependable as we would have liked.

In Diego Carlos we have a partner for Mings that can see him thrive.

• Like 1

On 27/05/2022 at 20:48, IrishVilla10 said:

He deserves a chance with a solid midfield in front of him, and also an experienced CB partner imo. If he doesn’t cut it after that then we can worry about him

That really won't help his complete lack of ability on the ball at this level.

I've been critical. In reality he's been a brilliant signing for us. But he is what he is and he needs upgrading.

Like Watkins. His technical limitations are not going to change too much at their age.

Their knowledge of the game can, experience and learning you never stop but technically they are just not there.

6 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I've been critical. In reality he's been a brilliant signing for us. But he is what he is and he needs upgrading.

Like Watkins. His technical limitations are not going to change too much at their age.

Their knowledge of the game can, experience and learning you never stop but technically they are just not there.

Wow that is crazy harsh. 'You've been critical' you say? Clearly!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

He is actually pretty competent with the ball under pressure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

I think part of the problem is that when we are under pressure - he doesn't often have an easy "out" into midfield and even if he does then our midfield haven't been good enough at retaining the ball.  So he can look for the McGinn style Hollywood pass / just whack it down the channel for Watkins to chase.  With a better midfield we might find that he realises that he needs to try and do less with the ball and in a bizarre way end up doing more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Mings has to be the dominant CB and the leader back there. Carlos takes that pressure away from him. 

I'm really excited by this partnership. Is there a more athletic, physically imposing pair in the league? 

Diaz and Laporte but other than that, not even close. 

Â