Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

As little as a day ago i was thinking he would be here next season , but signing Carlos puts a whole new spin on things as he is a left side of central defence player. 

There isnt a rot within the club at all, but there are overiding inconsistencies which leads to us losing so many games. 

This needs to change . Mings might be low hanging fruit to blame but he is our captain and is the leader on the field. We crumble too easily. We lost 50 percent of our league games last season. And he does make mistakes and go to shit in a game from time to time. 

Diego Carlos was on the losing side 4 times in La Liga last season. He was the major part of the defence that conceded 30 goals in 38 games. And he wasnt playing on the coat tails of a superior defender helping him along. He was the main man with 22 year old Kounde alongside him for the most part. 

I have to ask if it is too much of a risk bringing in 2 new centrehalves when the one we have just bought seems to be incredinly consistent ? 

I keep on saying it. Consistency is what Gerrard wants . 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

As little as a day ago i was thinking he would be here next season , but signing Carlos puts a whole new spin on things as he is a left side of central defence player. 

There isnt a rot within the club at all, but there are overiding inconsistencies which leads to us losing so many games. 

This needs to change . Mings might be low hanging fruit to blame but he is our captain and is the leader on the field. We crumble too easily. We lost 50 percent of our league games last season. And he does make mistakes and go to shit in a game from time to time. 

Diego Carlos was on the losing side 4 times in La Liga last season. He was the major part of the defence that conceded 30 goals in 38 games. And he wasnt playing on the coat tails of a superior defender helping him along. He was the main man with 22 year old Kounde alongside him for the most part. 

I have to ask if it is too much of a risk bringing in 2 new centrehalves when the one we have just bought seems to be incredinly consistent ? 

Given the performances of our CB pairing last season I don't think there is much risk. It is unlikely Carlos and a new CB (Tarkowski or Bassy or Botman) can be as fragile as what we have just gone through this season. Also, we will have Kamara in front of them which will make their jobs easier and hopefully Bissouma too

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Genuine question.

I know some are of the opinion Mings should be replaced because an improvement should be sought. That’s fine, that’s not what I’m asking.

But I often read suggestions from some that come across like his age is the main reason for replacing him. That a younger player needs to be brought into compete. For those who feel like that, are they content with potentially 3 central defenders aged 29 in the squad? Or alternatively, if Mings is sold, maybe 2 with Tarkowski?

Because presumably they feel that it now means we have 2-3 players that need replacing on a similar time scale.

For the record, as long as they’re good I don’t mind, I’d like to have some younger options learning the ropes for the years to come. But I’m conscious that there’s this sense from some on here that we need to be mindful of the number of players who are around the age of 30+.

not much coming through the academy CB wise is there. i don't recall bridge or bogarde on the first team bench last season so think they're some way off so that just leaves josh feeney. be good to get poach some more youth CBs. i think mings would be an excellent mentor, both on and off the pitch.

i think it's a position not usually entrusted to youth though. probably the position where experience is most required. you can be a young, quick winger or striker and be given a chance because if you **** up it's generally no big deal.

konsa is only 24 though remember. could be argued that he is still young and learning.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Diego Carlos is right footed though. You'd have to imagine we'd try him and mings and if we decide that's not the pairing then so be it. But I highly doubt we are going to move our what at worst 3rd best player from this season. 

Kerr Smith, Bogarde, Feeney, and Swinkels all highly rated, Bogarde was injured for nearly half of the season, he might end up asa  DM anyway.

I've seen a few speculate that Bridge and Dominic Revan could potentially be released, gon be hard for them to make it with us, might be whether we think we can develop them more via loans before selling them on for a fee or not.

I think we will keep Mings and Konsa, those two and Diego will be the three man centre-backs, Chambers as the versatile option along with, and if Bassey signs he can play there but will primarily be brought as a left-back as it's playing there where he's had his sudden rise to promincene.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, messi11 said:

Hearing newcastle bidding £30 million 

Lol well we paid £26m for him and he's become club captain and been in the England squad since then, so they can keep dreaming. Add another 10m minimum and we'll talk 

On 11/05/2022 at 11:17, MikeMcKenna said:

Don’t know if anyone else noticed but in the first half Gerrard had a massive go at Mings. We had a freekick just inside our half, which Mings passed side/backwards. Gerrard went ballistic at him for not playing forward. A few minutes later when play stopped for an injury, Mings went straight to Gerrard and appeared to be saying whats the problem and ‘having words’?

In view of the fact that Gerrard publicly raised the question of who should be captain next year, I don’t think he rates Mings and that he will move him on in the summer.

As I said above two weeks ago, I still think Gerrard wants to sell Mings. Carlos’s signing plus our interest in the likes of Tarkowski and other defenders reinforces my opinion.

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 2

A defo keep for me. Yes he has his moments but he’s been largely brilliant since Gerrard has come in. 

Him with another really strong defender next to him is very exciting. 

£30m to a rival would be madness would need to be twice that to get me to answer the phone. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, villaglint said:

A defo keep for me. Yes he has his moments but he’s been largely brilliant since Gerrard has come in. 

Him with another really strong defender next to him is very exciting. 

£30m to a rival would be madness would need to be twice that to get me to answer the phone. 

We buy Carlos for 26m and u think we shouldn't answer the ph for less than 60m for Mings from Toon 🤣

I do think with all the transfer rumours that Mings is moving on this summer but not to Middlesborough

It will be a sad day for the club if it does happen BUT it will be more criminal if we sell him and sign Luis Suarez who is the opposite of Mings

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I do think with all the transfer rumours that Mings is moving on this summer but not to Middlesborough

It will be a sad day for the club if it does happen BUT it will be more criminal if we sell him and sign Luis Suarez who is the opposite of Mings

What’s that? A serial winner? Unfortunately you don’t get points in games for playing really nice people.

We’d be out of our minds to turn down 30m for Ty when we could roll that (+ another 20m) into a young elite European level defender.  He will always be remembered fondly for helping us get up and stabilise but he’s played his part now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

What’s that? A serial winner? Unfortunately you don’t get points in games for playing really nice people.

He is a racist biting scumbag. Football is only a game at the end of the day and we dont need words removed at our club

The rest of your post I actually agree with 🙂

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Very good post and the more I think about it, the more I think signing Tarkowski is a good idea. I just can’t see a Mings/Carlos partnership, especially as Carlos has just come off the back of a very impressive season as the left sided centre half.

There has been a lot of talk around the spine of the team over the past couple of months and signing Kamara/Carlos is just the start. I think we’ll see another central defender (Tarkowski) and another defensive minded midfielder (Phillips/Bissouma).

We may then go and get a starting striker but this will be the biggest outlay and the pool to choose from is very low. 

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

He is a racist biting scumbag. Football is only a game at the end of the day and we dont need words removed at our club

The rest of your post I actually agree with 🙂

The same way Cavani is a racist? He said a term of endearment the equivalent of like Bro, or my guy. Yeah it was dumb. But come on. 

Â