Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

As a rough guess, he's played less than 50 games at CB, very few of those in the PL. When you consider that you can see how he is still learning and adapting to the role. Less than 50 games and he is already this good. 😱 He may make mistakes but I don't think I've seen him make the same mistake twice.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Genie said:

What was the little bang with Heaton all about after the Norwich goal? Not only the poor pass back to the keeper he also didn’t make much effort to tidy it up.

Is his ego a bit out of control? First his public row with El Ghazi then this with Tom.

I agree on the whole he was superb yesterday, just couple of little worry beads edging in.

I also noticed this.. he did not look happy but he seemed to be seething with himself more than anything. It’s nice to see that none of them were happy to concede even after 5 goals up.

• Like 1

Outstanding on Saturday, so calm on the ball allowing us to play out with ease. I didn't realise from the stands just how well he did lying over the ball to keep it from the Norwich players.

The goals as others have mentioned was a comedy of errors. McGinn should never have passed it back to Mings from that position, especially not in the air as he did. Mings should never have lobbed it back to Heaton, it should have been on the floor ready for him to play out. Heaton, and you can't really blame him, couldn't see the ball due to the sun; I spent the whole second half struggling to see with the sun above the stand we were playing towards.

The Mings/Engels combination is still solid, and the team around them is slowly getting better. Nakamaba in front cut's out so much danger and Guilbert and Targett are proving to be great additions at full back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Outstanding on Saturday, so calm on the ball allowing us to play out with ease. I didn't realise from the stands just how well he did lying over the ball to keep it from the Norwich players.

The goals as others have mentioned was a comedy of errors. McGinn should never have passed it back to Mings from that position, especially not in the air as he did. Mings should never have lobbed it back to Heaton, it should have been on the floor ready for him to play out. Heaton, and you can't really blame him, couldn't see the ball due to the sun; I spent the whole second half struggling to see with the sun above the stand we were playing towards.

The Mings/Engels combination is still solid, and the team around them is slowly getting better. Nakamaba in front cut's out so much danger and Guilbert and Targett are proving to be great additions at full back. 

Completely agree, the defensive 6 (Heaton, targett, Mings, Engels, Guilbert and Nakamba), for me are nailed on players now, on a positive note we also have konsa learning his trade who I think will be a prospect.

On 06/10/2019 at 15:04, Genie said:

What was the little bang with Heaton all about after the Norwich goal? Not only the poor pass back to the keeper he also didn’t make much effort to tidy it up.

Is his ego a bit out of control? First his public row with El Ghazi then this with Tom.

I agree on the whole he was superb yesterday, just couple of little worry beads edging in.

He's a complicated character. Think we've all noticed that - especially this season. But he's one of the best centre backs in the Premier League, and despite his flaws, I get the (uninformed outsider) impression that he is a very likeable personality who is popular with his teammates.

Players have little spats sometimes. It's normal. They were both just wound up about giving up the clean sheet.

The Hollywood passing that others have mentioned doesn't bother me that much - a decent % of them come off, and the ones that don't aren't a huge disaster. I think he's been told to play the long pass because it exploits Wesley and Guilbert's strengths.

He is also spectacularly good at defending corners.

58 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

He is also spectacularly good at defending corners.

The commentator pointed out that he has a free role on corners (not marking anyone). His job is to just get his head on the ball and clear it. 

Don't know if this has been mentioned on here before but I thought it was interesting and turned out to be quite effective against Norwich.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

The commentator pointed out that he has a free role on corners (not marking anyone). His job is to just get his head on the ball and clear it. 

Don't know if this has been mentioned on here before but I thought it was interesting and turned out to be quite effective against Norwich.

I think all that's happening is that we are doing mixed zonal / man-to-man marking on corners, which a lot of teams do. Mings is being given the most important zone in front of the six yard box.

The commentator's point seemed to be that Norwich should put a man on Mings to stop him having a free run at the clearing header. Was a fair point, and I think a better opposition will spot this and do more to disrupt him on defensive corners.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think all that's happening is that we are doing mixed zonal / man-to-man marking on corners, which a lot of teams do. Mings is being given the most important zone in front of the six yard box.

The commentator's point seemed to be that Norwich should put a man on Mings to stop him having a free run at the clearing header. Was a fair point, and I think a better opposition will spot this and do more to disrupt him on defensive corners.

Ok I understand. Thanks 😊

• Like 1

On 06/10/2019 at 15:04, Genie said:

He doesn’t like losing or conceding goals... I reckon it was more out of frustration than anything...

Im not going to hold it against him 😄

14 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

He doesn’t like losing or conceding goals... I reckon it was more out of frustration than anything...

Im not going to hold it against him 😄

If that was the case I'd expect him to make more of an effort to get back and cover following his crap back-pass.

(In his defence it was late and he was probably knackered)

On 08/10/2019 at 09:58, LxYoungAVFC said:

Better teams will work that out and put a blocker on him for there corners so he won't be as effective, but was great tactic Saturday.

On 08/10/2019 at 02:58, LxYoungAVFC said:

After the commentator mentioned that, I watched the next few corners and there were  at least 3-4 of our players who, like Mings, weren't actually man-marking anyone, and were just defending zonally instead. So I'm not sure that the commentator was exactly right with what he said.

Whatever our strategy, hopefully opposition managers and players don't figure us out.

Mick McCarthy signed him at Ipswich and played him at left back, what was he thinking there? He’s the most natural centre back I’ve seen in a Villa shirt, better than Laursen for me. I didn’t see McGrath, so can’t comment on him

• Like 1

Â