Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

I loved Laursen - he was a warrior and really wore his heart on his sleeve and also an excellent CB but he did want to go for every ball so he needed his CB partner to recognise this and drop in as cover every time.  He also made his partners look better - Davies, once he worked out how to play with Laursen, looked like a world beater.

Personally, I think Mings has the potential to be as good as Laursen, from what I have seen to date, but we haven't seen enough of him yet and he is still learning the role.  He is, however, again IMHO, a better footballer than Laursen - more comfortable on the ball and can play a mean diagonal.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

not in the first 11 versus Czech Republic, Southgate must see something in Keane..........not sure what tho.

Struggling a bit for options if you assume that he sees Ty as left sided cover for Maguire.  That would make Gomez - who has only played only played one minute in the last 7 games for Liverpool - and Tomori - who has hardly played any top level football and is lightweight IMO/probably more suited to a back 3! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, barry'sboots said:

Struggling a bit for options if you assume that he sees Ty as left sided cover for Maguire.  That would make Gomez - who has only played only played one minute in the last 7 games for Liverpool - and Tomori - who has hardly played any top level football and is lightweight IMO/probably more suited to a back 3! 

Don’t forget Ezri Konsa too

16 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Mick McCarthy signed him at Ipswich and played him at left back, what was he thinking there? He’s the most natural centre back I’ve seen in a Villa shirt, better than Laursen for me. I didn’t see McGrath, so can’t comment on him

Very randomly (and not particularly related to the above), my mum was working at a school in Oxfordshire and she said a big and very polite kid who has just signed for Ipswich was there (she knows nothing about football) and some quick research told me it was Tyrone Mings, a total nobody with a funny surname signing for a small club at the time.

I’ve told her that said nobody now plays for my team, having signed for £20m+, and is one of my favourite players. Still totally meaningless to her as he is just that polite teenager she met once, but now I’m fuming I didn’t get to meet him!

Feel like Southgate should of took a CB off and brought Mings on as soon as we let that first goal in. You could tell as soon as they hit back that there wasn't something quite right with our team, especially our defence.

Mings will shout and organise them and I didn't see much of that last night, maybe I'm blind but did you??

Southgate is making some costly mistakes, he could of changed and affected that game long before that second goal came.

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

Feel like Southgate should of took a CB off and brought Mings on as soon as we let that first goal in. You could tell as soon as they hit back that there wasn't something quite right with our team, especially our defence.

You don’t change your centre backs during a match unless there is an injury, it’s just not the done thing. He either starts or won’t get a look in unfortunately, not sure he’s earned a spot just yet, if we take off our claret and blue specs but you have to say the alternatives aren’t exactly doing that well at the moment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Feel like Southgate should of took a CB off and brought Mings on as soon as we let that first goal in. You could tell as soon as they hit back that there wasn't something quite right with our team, especially our defence 

I said we should bring on Mings when they brought on the striker the commentator described something like "a big physical brute. "   I said "nobody out big physical brutes Tyrone Mings." 

Guess who scored 10 minutes later. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

You don’t change your centre backs during a match unless there is an injury, it’s just not the done thing. He either starts or won’t get a look in unfortunately, not sure he’s earned a spot just yet, if we take off our claret and blue specs but you have to say the alternatives aren’t exactly doing that well at the moment.

Its fairly uncommon granted, but that pairing was poor last night....i thought keane was particularly poor.....and cost us.

centre backs have to show an element of aggression, Keane didn't.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I said we should bring on Mings when they brought on the striker the commentator described something like "a big physical brute. "   I said "nobody out big physical brutes Tyrone Mings." 

Guess who scored 10 minutes later. 

I like southgate, but thought he lacked balls last night......everyone and his grand mother could see the issues.

managers get paid big, to make big decisions......I thought he was too passive and going with the flow.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TRO said:

I like southgate, but thought he lacked balls last night......everyone and his grand mother could see the issues.

managers get paid big, to make big decisions......I thought he was too passive and going with the flow.

To be fair Southgates managerial history consists entirely of getting Middlesbrough relegated, getting sacked by Middlesbrough when they were in the championship and then managing the England u21s.

Is he even a remotely decent manager??

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

To be fair Southgates managerial history consists entirely of getting Middlesbrough relegated, getting sacked by Middlesbrough when they were in the championship and then managing the England u21s.

Is he even a remotely decent manager??

Well....Managers learn too.

I think he has done ok with England so far......but last night required conkers and I think he took the easy option.

No one wants to criticise individuals, but we could all see it and the panel on Sky.

I get it that managers rarely change centre backs during a game, but maybe last night if he had, we may have got a result, that second goal was embarrassing.

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

Well....Managers learn too.

I think he has done ok with England so far......but last night required conkers and I think he took the easy option.

No one wants to criticise individuals, but we could all see it and the panel on Sky.

I get it that managers rarely change centre backs during a game, but maybe last night if he had, we may have got a result, that second goal was embarrassing.

Yeah.

I'm jist a little surprised he sticks with Keane, well tbh I'm not Southgate seems to have his favourites or prefers players from certain teams etc.

Just now, MaVilla said:

Yeah.

I'm jist a little surprised he sticks with Keane, well tbh I'm not Southgate seems to have his favourites or prefers players from certain teams etc.

I think managers do have favourites......but to give them the benefit of the doubt, usually how they train in the week and is their style commensurate with how they want to set up?

good trainers with a professional behaviour usually endear themselves to managers and vice versa.

Â