January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

Not sure about Carroll. Neat and tidy player but always seemed a bit lightweight to me and not sure he’s significantly different to what we have already? Still think we’re lacking some physicality in central midfield 

4 minutes ago, Skruff said:

It's January. GK, 2xCBs, RB and a CM. Pretty pleased with that. I expect there will be a lot more movement in the summer. 

Looks like we're building for the future. We're not trying to go all out for promotion like 2017 and then finish 13th. We signed players in positions we currently need, who are young and can improve.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Looks like we're building for the future. We're not trying to go all out for promotion like 2017 and then finish 13th. We signed players in positions we currently need, who are young and can improve.

And if they don't work out, we send them packing at the end of the season without breaking the bank.  If they are good options, we spend and make them permanent deals.  

• Like 3

Also, just popped into the Swansea subReddit and holy cow...  I don't think I remember any Villa forum hating on Randy at our lowest point like they're raging at their owners right now.  It looks like someone high up decided to pull the plug at the last second on the James to Leeds deal and the Fer to Villa deal. 

Edited by KMitch

Fer was injured against Blues I think - may be that that nixed the deal..

Total ****up  by Leeds on their loan atempt for James apparently - waited till the end and then asked to pay the loan fee at the END of the loan...lol

My impression of Swansea fans - they love James, glad he's staying hate Fer and don't think much of Carroll

If only we'd had added a bit of strength and tenacity into the midfield, I'd be much more happy with the balance and be much more optimistic in this season. It still feels we are lightweight in the middle of the pitch. Maybe, Jedinak can step into the midfield or we could incorporate the strength at CB with a 3 CB tactic. I think Green and Adomah have the characteristics to succeed as wing-backs, and it would be useful to have some variation in approach. 

28 minutes ago, NZV said:

We are going to ‘need a whole new team’ again 

We have a relatively strong championship core to build upon: Kalinic, Chester, Hourihane, McGinn, Grealish (?), Green and Kodjia. Anyway, this was always going to be the case with the failed promotion team contracts coming to an end, besides it seems to be Smith's modus operandi when arriving at a new club. The King is dead. Long live the King. 

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

We have a relatively strong championship core to build upon: Kalinic, Chester, Hourihane, McGinn, Grealish (?), Green and Kodjia. Anyway, this was always going to be the case with the failed promotion team contracts coming to an end, besides it seems to be Smith's modus operandi when arriving at a new club. The King is dead. Long live the King. 

Yes we do have a good core but we will be busy in the summer to replace/buy the loan players and fill other positions.

We could see new starters at striker, both wings, defensive mid, left back and center back. 

• Like 1

Yeah summer will be huge, thought we'd be making LB a priority but we've strengthened in places we desperately needed strengthening. Positives in the youngsters getting competitive football too. Hopefully now we might get a few clean sheets with the defensive reinforcements!

I thought Mings was a LB although Smith wants to play him at CB? Hause is a CB who can play LB too.  On that basis we seem to have addressed the main defensive issues (with a French RB to come in the summer).

We do seem a tad lightweight in the DM position still but have been sensible in using loan to buy options to minimise the chance of making more expensive mistakes. 

Tom Carroll may be an underwhelming name but from a long-term perspective we do finally seem to be building towards a sustainable future,  which is what we all wanted, isn't it? 

Edited by Darth Villa
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Risso said:

2/10 for this window. Hugely disappointing.

I quite like how we seem to build for the future and have a plan for once. The goalkeeper was a good signing. But like you say it's a bit disappointing considering how much we needed fullbacks. 

Mings and Carroll are ok, but kinda depends on their fitness methinks. 

Anyway, it's more a 5/5 for me. 

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I quite like how we seem to build for the future and have a plan for once. The goalkeeper was a good signing. But like you say it's a bit disappointing considering how much we needed fullbacks. 

Mings and Carroll are ok, but kinda depends on their fitness methinks. 

Anyway, it's more a 5/5 for me. 

Not so sure about that. We got 5 players but really once everyone is fit I can only see Kalinic and possibly Mings (at left back) being in the starting xi. 

Can't see how that gets a 5/5 rating from you, especially when the jury is still out on the keeper

5 hours ago, Hornso said:

It's going to be a big summer transfer window.

Really - I think it will pretty similar (in terms of arrivals calibre) - whatever the reason FFP - or the loss making state of the club - we aren't going to be making big waves..

2 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Not so sure about that. We got 5 players but really once everyone is fit I can only see Kalinic and possibly Mings (at left back) being in the starting xi. 

Can't see how that gets a 5/5 rating from you, especially when the jury is still out on the keeper

I actually ment 5/10 haha. 

Anyway, you really think Carroll won't play if fit? He is on another planet compared to Whelan, Bananason and Lansbury.