January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

Keeper looks better than nyland. So that's a plus. 

Mings looks an sounds a like a good signing if stays fit be a massive signing for us

The French kid who knows

Carroll meh

I'd give its a 5/10

But I'm glad we didn't panic buy like previous windows. I think we are waiting until the summer and being patient not panicking like w ehavw done under xia. Think that's a much better approach.barting west brom I don't think many clubs have strengthened much. 

Gutted we didn't get hayden he would have been clas signing. Bloody skunks

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Not so sure about that. We got 5 players but really once everyone is fit I can only see Kalinic and possibly Mings (at left back) being in the starting xi. 

Can't see how that gets a 5/5 rating from you, especially when the jury is still out on the keeper

Smith has said that Mings is coming as CB....

I am beginning to wonder if we'll switch to 3 at the back and WBs.

--------------Tuanzebe---Chester---Mings------------

Elmo-----------------------------------------------------Taylor

-----------Carroll------Hourihane-----McGinn----------

---------------------Grealish-------------------------------------

-------------------------------------Tammy----------------------

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Smith has said that Mings is coming as CB....

Well that was kind of my point.. I can't see him ahead of Chester or Tuanzebe once they are both fit. But I think he will end up at left back due to that scenario

The goalkeeper is the only position we really got a starter out of 5 signings

16 minutes ago, hippo said:

Really - I think it will pretty similar (in terms of arrivals calibre) - whatever the reason FFP - or the loss making state of the club - we aren't going to be making big waves..

I have no idea what kind of calibre of player we will be able to bring in, but I do know we have lots of loans and lots of first team squad members out of contract. There will be a big turnover.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I actually ment 5/10 haha. 

Anyway, you really think Carroll won't play if fit? He is on another planet compared to Whelan, Bananason and Lansbury. 

OK

But why are you comparing Carroll with 3 players who wouldn't play once everyone is fit. We all know the trio that would start are Grealish McGinn and Hourihane. Which one of those 3 do you think Carroll would replace? 

6 minutes ago, Junxs said:

OK

But why are you comparing Carroll with 3 players who wouldn't play once everyone is fit. We all know the trio that would start are Grealish McGinn and Hourihane. Which one of those 3 do you think Carroll would replace? 

Hourihane. By a mile.  And I also think Carroll will take some pressure off Grealish and straight up be an alternative when he is injured. Carroll from what I can remember is a player who wants the ball and is a very good passer. Both are things are desperately need. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

It's 4/10 from me.

Kallinic - Looks ropey

Hause - Bobbins going from his first game and what Wolves fans have told me

Mings - 20 games in 4 years big risk that may or may not pay off

Some bloke called Tom - Meh

Seems we are resigned to mid table obscurity this season.

Yours, Captain Positive

29 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

Amazing how a club mentality from 'splashing the cash' needed to switch to 'bargain hunting', which is has, and very few are happy/writing these players off before they've kicked a ball based on injury, lack of game time, etc. 

LB aside, I think it's been a reasonably good window. I think Mings starts now to give Chezzy much needed time out. Hause for cover. Could we have done with a LB? Absolutely, and it sounds like we tried. Some midfield cover in there too, where we have been light on talent. 

I'm most impressed with the build up to next season because, let's not hide from it, that's what we've done with this window. We haven't chucked the kitchen sink at a final push, but been sensible and kept an eye on 19/20. And the preparation is great. We have a reportedly top RB coming in, a number of older players off the books and our top youth talent will be back, but with 4 months of adult football under their belts. 

This window, ladies and gentlemen, was a run up to next season, and from that angle it's been pretty damn good in my eyes. 

Very much agree with those thoughts. For once we have not made panic buys or brought in aging players often on high salaries to try to solve a problem.

This is very much building for the future in how we have handled our existing squad, particularly the younger players going out on loan. 

Just because we did not sign a player for a particular position like LB does not mean we did not try.

Personally I think it shows the benefits of a football CEO, a DoF and a forward thinking young manager.

41 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I actually ment 5/10 haha. 

Anyway, you really think Carroll won't play if fit? He is on another planet compared to Whelan, Bananason and Lansbury. 

No wonder he is on another planet, he must be tiny!

• Haha 1

Actually quite annoyed with this window. I know January is difficult, but we needed to bring in players that are going to be relevant next season - i.e. use rest of this season to gel and hit the ground running next. 

I can stomach the capitulation of this season if it was clear we were building for next, but the players we’ve brought in - and, more importantly the fact that these are structured as loans without immediate right to buy - is ludicrous. 

Just looks like we are paying other teams to rehabilitate/improve their injured players with no obvious tangible value to us. As it stands, we’re staring at another Summer rebuild. 

Carroll looks small and lightweight, when we need a big, strong authoritarian midfielder who can own a game and dictate play.

Feels like more stupidity from yet another regime. What did we ever do wrong to deserve this!

1 minute ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Actually quite annoyed with this window. I know January is difficult, but we needed to bring in players that are going to be relevant next season - i.e. use rest of this season to gel and hit the ground running next. 

I can stomach the capitulation of this season if it was clear we were building for next, but the players we’ve brought in - and, more importantly the fact that these are structured as loans without immediate right to buy - is ludicrous. 

Just looks like we are paying other teams to rehabilitate/improve their injured players with no obvious tangible value to us. As it stands, we’re staring at another Summer rebuild. 

Carroll looks small and lightweight, when we need a big, strong authoritarian midfielder who can own a game and dictate play.

Feels like more stupidity from yet another regime. What did we ever do wrong to deserve this!

I think that's a bit harsh, Carroll and Mings both have the option to buy and are in their mid 20s, plus we've signed that right back for the future too.  

24 minutes ago, Harry said:

Very much agree with those thoughts. For once we have not made panic buys or brought in aging players often on high salaries to try to solve a problem.

This is very much building for the future in how we have handled our existing squad, particularly the younger players going out on loan. 

Just because we did not sign a player for a particular position like LB does not mean we did not try.

Personally I think it shows the benefits of a football CEO, a DoF and a forward thinking young manager.

How can this be preparing for next season when the majority have been structured as loans without a contractual right to buy? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Harry said:

We just haven't bought a single outfield player who can come in and do a job straight away.  We needed a right back and left back, and didn't get either (at least who can play this season).  We needed a defensive midfielder, and when the one we apparently wanted in Fer didn't materialise, we took a washed up Swansea nobody who makes Ashley Westwood look like Mike Tyson.

Sod planning for next season, how about we strain tooth and sinew to go up this season?  Buying the awful Tom Carroll in anticipation of next year won't look so clever when we're having to replace Tammy, Grealish and McGinn.

2 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

We are obviously and rightly still going for the playoffs. We'd be knee deep in them if we hadn't lost Grealish against WBA, so hopefully with these additions and getting and keeping Jack fit we can get back as we were. It would be insane of the management team to sign nobody if there are players who can improve us now, and, in fact, both Mings and Carroll have buy options of various degrees, so there is that too.

Tom Carroll is better than anyone else we could play at DM.

Our first team back in November, with Jack and Tuanzebe, was a match for anyone. We have Mings, Kalinic (settling) and Carroll—er and Hause—who have rebalanced the squad to a decent degree. If we get into the playoffs we have a good shot at going up. Game on.

4 minutes ago, Risso said:

We just haven't bought a single outfield player who can come in and do a job straight away.  We needed a right back and left back, and didn't get either (at least who can play this season).  We needed a defensive midfielder, and when the one we apparently wanted in Fer didn't materialise, we took a washed up Swansea nobody who makes Ashley Westwood look like Mike Tyson.

Sod planning for next season, how about we strain tooth and sinew to go up this season?  Buying the awful Tom Carroll in anticipation of next year won't look so clever when we're having to replace Tammy, Grealish and McGinn.

Why is Carroll awful?