January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

2 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

It just emphasises how difficult the January transfer window is to negotiate.

Overall I'm impressed with the way Purslow and co have gone about their business.

Kalinic was an excellent signing agreed in advance of the transfer window.

Hause could still play a part if he acclimatises to DS football.

Mings could be a dominant addition if he remains uninjured.

Carroll is a talented technical footballer who will help us retain more possession.

Guilbert is the one I'm really excited about. He's a fierce tackling high energy RB who has good ball playing and crossing ability. Those slide tackles alone will make him a hero at VP. We've also demonstrated our intentions to build for the future with the decision to wait until the summer for this signing to join us.

With Grealish and Tuanzebe coming back soon we should have a decent finish to the season.

Real competition for places now, and the first couple of building bricks for our Villa future .... not a bad result from a notoriously difficult transfer window. 

I think that’s called looking on the bright side,  making the best of things, whistling a happy tune.

I hope you’re right but this is all based on hope not evidence. The one we have seen in a few games so far hasn’t been too impressive tbf.

2 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Mings could be a dominant addition if he remains uninjured.

Ming's has been in matchday squads 13 times,  - made 5 appearances in Dec for Bournemouth - 2 starts and 3 sub appearances 

But another poster (actually 2) think we have signed an injured player ? His last absence due to injury ended in April 18.

Edited by SirSteveUK
  • Like 1

It is a transfer window where Palace getting the painfully average Batshuayi on 160k is considered one of the best pieces of business. Let's be realistic.

I am relatively pleased, even more so that we haven't shit the bed and signed up Leroy Fer on a 4 year deal or any other number of  "names". We  have been sensible, we haven't chucked a load of money at it again in the hopes of a quick fix and promotion. We have put in a reasonable (imo) sum that gives us a small glimmer of hope.

Very pleased we have got rid of a lot of our youngsters too. I look forward to the coming months and following their progress.

• Like 1

we dodged a bullet with fur.

yes he did a job against us in the fa cup. but his job was to man mark callum o hare, a slender rookie who didn't get backed up by his team mates.

when the first reducer came in I expected Glen "the old warrior" Whelan to get in Furr's face telling him to back off or he'd petrol bomb his car. However he let fur continue and therefore nullified Ohare's threat. Which lost us the game and looks like finishing ohares career prospects at villa.

I laugh at these football fans who are obsessed with central midfielders in the "patrick Viera" mould. most of them just have one or two of the attributes Viera had. and I don't mean passing accuracy or skill.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Based on a lot of posts here, it's clear there's a fairly low level of understanding when it comes football.

Is this what passes for debate on here these days? 

• Like 1

I think the overall plan for this season since DS arrived has been get promotion if possible but not at all costs unlike previous regimes. 

DS will be given the where with all to perform major surgery on the squad in the summer and have a preseason with them to embed the playing style.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, screwdriver said:

laugh at these football fans who are obsessed with central midfielders in the "patrick Viera" mould. most of them just have one or two of the attributes Viera had. and I don't mean passing accuracy or skill.

My theory is most Villa supporters only watch Villa and the shit football we've played for years and years and years, and they are so out of touch with modern football that it's quite hilarious. 

20 minutes ago, New_Hope said:

I think the overall plan for this season since DS arrived has been get promotion if possible but not at all costs unlike previous regimes. 

DS will be given the where with all to perform major surgery on the squad in the summer and have a preseason with them to embed the playing style.

200-250k/week in wages are off our books at the end of the season, due to expiring contracts, and our first season in the Championship (the one where Xia dropped silly money on players for RDM & Bruce in January) will be out of our FFP calculations after March.  They're trying to minimize our losses this season with smaller purchases and loans until that horrible financial mess of a season is out of the FFP calculations.  We'll be free to spend sensibly and rebuild the squad in a younger, more modern fashion this summer.

32 minutes ago, KMitch said:

My theory is most Villa supporters only watch Villa and the shit football we've played for years and years and years, and they are so out of touch with modern football that it's quite hilarious. 

Yes indeed.

The likes of you and Screwdriver must he "the most intelligent ones" Steve Bruce referred to.

I'd answer you with : Some fans watch a plethora of football, however are also in tune with the reality of where we are football wise, financially, and so on.

So have realistic expectations and see the long term plan as opposed to emulating your best season in Fifa or Championship Manager.

Whether you like to accept it or not, the footballing men at the club probably know more about foot all than you do.

I'm inclined to think we had a number of target s which none of us knew about which we could not get done for a variety of reasons, so have done the wise thing and tried our best to get the alternatives we could realistically get in positions we feel were the most crucial.

Now we can accept our reality or we can go on message boards and social media to express how shit we feel our club is and "how low we have fallen".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Hause could still play a part if he acclimatises to DS football.

What exactly is DS football? And why would Hause need to acclimatise to it? 

I’m intrigued by this wonder football that Dean Smith apperantly coaches that 80% of our squad are unable to play. 

1 minute ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

I can see the coping mechanism I’ve eluded to in other threads playing a prominent role in this thread. We have so many sycophant happy clapper fans that would be happy whoever we signed. Must be nice to live in that bubble. 

Lets open a "we're shit thread" to accommodate all the more knowledgeable fans shall we? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

I can see the coping mechanism I’ve eluded to in other threads playing a prominent role in this thread. We have so many sycophant happy clapper fans that would be happy whoever we signed. Must be nice to live in that bubble. 

What were you expecting from the January window?

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Lets open a "we're shit thread" to accommodate all the more knowledgeable fans shall we? 

It’d be more apt and likely an improvement on the “let’s just get behind the lads, no questions allowed or you don’t know anything about football” brigade.