January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

I think people need to stop going on at people and saying the word "moaning" when they are expressing their concerns. It is a tad bit infuriating as your not moaning just highlighting why you think the squad isn't strong enough. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Robbie09 said:

Agreed. Some people need to get a grip rather than using any excuse to moan.

Sure last night people were moaning we were signing Fer. When it didnt happen people moaned saying we have no ambition for not signing Fer 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Sure last night people were moaning we were signing Fer. When it didnt happen people moaned saying we have no ambition for not signing Fer 🙄

It's almost like....... people have different opinions? 😮 :D 

Edited by PieFacE

55 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

If you think that we are aiming for POs then you are completely and utterly deluded.

I'd say if you think this club isn't aiming to get promoted this season then you are completely and utterly deluded.

I think we should take a bit of perspective on the Carroll signing, I personally don't think he's brilliant but there was another Tom that came here who we all thought was shit a few years ago and he turned out to be pretty good.

Sometimes players just don't work out at clubs, and fwiw Swansea almost abandoned their passing game after Carroll arrived which is both bizzare and also a solid reason why it might work here.

I choose to be glass half full, if these young(ish) guys can prove they are good enough then we have the chance to lock them down and get the core of a team ready for next year.

And regardless to if we go up or not this year, and they don't look good enough, it really doesn't matter, we'll just have more work to do in the summer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

That is exactly what we have done since the moment we got relegated. Gone all in on promotion we no forethought to where that leaves us if we don't go up. 

That approach has left us with one of the oldest squads in the division, the biggest wage bill and apparently losing 4 million pound a month. It hasn't worked and we can't go on like that. Surely the fact the club came so close to going to the wall last summer should mean we are all on board with no longer thinking short term and a shit or bust approach.

We are having to cut our cloth to suit and finally for the first time since relegation live with in our means. It hasn't been a great window but it was never going to be. We improved the keeper situation, we signed a promising right back but I'd imagine due to financial constraints had to loan him back until the summer and have brought in 3 others on loan, two with options to buy. All the outfield players under the age of 27 and all you'd like to think either hungry to improve and play at a higher level than this or approaching their prime. 

The dynamic of our squad is heavily balanced towards players way past their best and Aston Villa in the championship being as good as it gets for them. You can't change that overnight, especially given our financial constraints, but this window we have made a start. With Hutton, Richards, Whelan, Jedinak, Adomah all out of contract come June and I'd imagine us trying to move on the likes of Elmo, Bjarnason, Elphick we should have more leeway in the summer but don't expect us to be signing players on 40k plus a week. Those days are gone and we are shopping in a different market. 

This sustainable approach doesn't mean we have to throw the towel in on promotion though. Far from it. The likes of Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Burnley,, Cardiff, Brighton have all shown in recent years you can get out of this division without spending a fortune and this season Leeds, Sheff Utd and Norwich are currently top 3 paying a fraction of what we do in wages. We as fans though have to accept the days of revolution and big money quick fixes are gone and we are going to have to evolve and take a more long term view.

I too thinks its been a reasonable window - But then again Im not expecting promotion any time soon. The days of us having an edge because we are a big championship club appear to be coming to end. Sure clubs have got promoted with less resources - but the trick is becoming that club, and we look a good distance from that at the moment - all imo of course.

19 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I'd say if you think this club isn't aiming to get promoted this season then you are completely and utterly deluded.

Of course its the aim - and will be until its mathematically impossible. Personally I think its an outside bet at the moment. 

I think the squad is more balanced now, and what we really should have started the season with.  At the end of the day our chances rest mainly on Grealish being in the team.  Personally I hope Mings settles in at left back rather than centre back and more importantly stays fit.

3 hours ago, Hornso said:

I have no idea what kind of calibre of player we will be able to bring in, but I do know we have lots of loans and lots of first team squad members out of contract. There will be a big turnover.

That was kind of my point - expect more players of the calibre we signed in the Jan window.

I think the signings have been good and we're in a better place for them (do not understand the complaints about Carroll at all myself), but christ on a bike I cannot believe we're going into the business end of the season with Hutton and Taylor still as our first choice full backs. I'm counting down the days until this hellish existence ends.

Edited by Indigo

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I think people need to stop going on at people and saying the word "moaning" when they are expressing their concerns. It is a tad bit infuriating as your not moaning just highlighting why you think the squad isn't strong enough. 

Stop moaning, Dem.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

Tell me one thing the club has done what would imply they are aiming for POs this season. Apart from signing a load of injured players on loan, of course. 

• Like 1

Difficult to state how good this window has been. If I remember correctly, at the time, the general consensus on here regarding the January window we had two years ago was very good - Hogan, Hourihane, Bree, Lansbury, Thor, Taylor, Bedeau and Johnstone. I think most were happy and probably would have given it around an 8/10.

Looking at it in retrospect, four of those aren’t here in one way or another (three of whom made no significant impact), one is eternally crocked and the other three have their critics to put it mildly. I think most people would look at that window now and maybe give it a 4/10. 

So not going to be overjoyed or unhappy with what business has taken place. Generally speaking, I would have felt a lot happier if I knew the final third of the season we wouldn’t be relying on two of Hutton, Elmo and Taylor which it looks like will be the case unless they do decide Mings will play left back.

A work in progress, hopefully it’s enough to at least have a real go for the remainder of the season.

• Like 1