January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

33 minutes ago, Zatman said:

sacked Steve Bruce, kept Jack Grealish, signed Tammy Abraham, signed 2 international goalkeepers

thats a start

I'm talking about in the present, not at the beginning of the season. This window shows pure capitulation and same old Villa

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

I'm talking about in the present, not at the beginning of the season. This window shows pure capitulation and same old Villa

I agree, unfortunately.  Signing three unfit players and not fixing the most pressing problems in the team is not a good sign at all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Risso said:

I agree, unfortunately.  Signing three unfit players and not fixing the most pressing problems in the team is not a good sign at all.

We started the season with 1 central defender and Nyland in goal. Those superceded all else in being very clearly our most pressing problems and we fixed both of them

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Eh we signed a goalkeeper fron one of the best international teams in the world

We brought back a player who shouldn't have been loaned out in the first place, and since then we've signed two unfit players who have played about 8 games betweem them this season.  I really don't think Hause will be solving any problems any time soon, and Mings we'll have to wait and see on.  

So we have signed another potentially dodgy keeper, a french kid for the future and swapped Bolasie for Mings, Hause & Carroll.

Not the worst window in the world i guess and adds numbers if nothing else but hardly awe-inspiring.

Much like the rest of the season the overwhelming feeling is... 

StzuBBe.gif

I wonder what proven, regularly starting players we could have got with the £4.50 and winning scratchcard we had to play with. 

The same people citing disappointment with the 2nd fiddle, promising players we've signed on the cheap, are the same that would moan that the club isn't being ran well if FFP sanctions hit in March. 

How's a club meant to rebuild when focus on the long term when no one let's them. Nah, sod it. Let's go full Xia again, blow 30m in January to chase a play off spot and then hope to hell we get it, because of we don't, we'll be moaning about how poorly it's all been ran. 

Now I need a beer. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Eh we signed a goalkeeper fron one of the best international teams in the world

He played two games for Croatia last year, and about the same the year before.  He certainly hasn't looked anything like a world class goalie so far, although the defence hasn't helped to be fair.  Can't think of any other keeper who has conceded 8 goals in his first three appearances.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Risso said:

We brought back a player who shouldn't have been loaned out in the first place, and since then we've signed two unfit players who have played about 8 games betweem them this season.  I really don't think Hause will be solving any problems any time soon, and Mings we'll have to wait and see on.  

I was half expecting Hause to return to wolves yesterday ! - Smith said he signed Hause  to give chester a break - then Chester keeps his place - and we sign another CB -My only conclusion is that Hause hasn't impressed in training & barring a turn around I wouldn't expect his loan to be made permanent .....interesting times...

15 hours ago, KMitch said:

No, he's a Right Back who has filled in at LB, CB, and LW this season.  It's like calling Hutton a left back. 

image.thumb.png.d13ab514fd03e69e6210f1099a2958cd.png

I'd call him....Alan.😉

Edited by TRO

14 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

It just emphasises how difficult the January transfer window is to negotiate.

Overall I'm impressed with the way Purslow and co have gone about their business.

Kalinic was an excellent signing agreed in advance of the transfer window.

Hause could still play a part if he acclimatises to DS football.

Mings could be a dominant addition if he remains uninjured.

Carroll is a talented technical footballer who will help us retain more possession.

Guilbert is the one I'm really excited about. He's a fierce tackling high energy RB who has good ball playing and crossing ability. Those slide tackles alone will make him a hero at VP. We've also demonstrated our intentions to build for the future with the decision to wait until the summer for this signing to join us.

With Grealish and Tuanzebe coming back soon we should have a decent finish to the season.

Real competition for places now, and the first couple of building bricks for our Villa future .... not a bad result from a notoriously difficult transfer window. 

Lot of coulds and shoulds in there...but understandable.

I hope it improves our position, because sitting around mid-table in this league, is posing many doubts in prospective new recruits minds....We really have to move up, even if we don't make the play -offs, we need to be hovering....mid-table is really not good for us.

The profile of the defensive players looks more in keeping with this league and I see Mings as more of a CB than a LB....However, He isn't a player I have studied, so I could be wrong.

Kalinic like many goal keepers usually improve after settling in....hoping so.

Tom Carroll, seems like he could be better than what we have in terms of age and subsequently, stamina, but similar too, so arguable what he can add.....was hoping for a DM/Enforcer.

There swapped your coulds and shoulds for .....Hopes.

Hope its not like the players, much the same.

I'm going to look on the up side.

We have two very good players coming back from injury in the next month.

We have signed three new out field players if one of these turns out to be a success then I think the team will improved enough for a good run in.

A very average Hull side went to the best side in this division and won whilst creating a run of  6 straight wins.

There is absolutely NO reason why Villa cannot do the same at anytime.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

How am I quoted there?  I have no recollection of saving that on 27/11/2018 😕

I blame ethnic minorities.

Someone's obviously changing what you've said, but I think that's an unfair conclusion.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, S-Platt said:

you need to add in keeping Tammy that was the best bit of business we did this window.

Depends on how you look at it - If we aren't in a relegation battle or in the promotion fight, then I dont see the point. All its doing is keeping our other 4 strikers out of the team.. you know the ones who will be here next season. 2 of those have had to leave on loan already.

Kodjia could potentially be using this time to get back to full sharpness like he was a couple of seasons ago so he's ready for next season - but its more likely now that he will be looking to move away in the summer. Hogan could have used the time to prove himself under DS again. The 2 youth players could have done with the experience.. 

Honestly, if we drop 10 points away from the playoff places then I'd rather not see Abraham playing up front.

4 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Honestly, if we drop 10 points away from the playoff places then I'd rather not see Abraham playing up front.

On most other occasions I would completely agree but loyalty in this game of ours is pretty much nonexistent and yet Tammy decided to stay, turning down the lure of Premier League football and I'd assume the money that goes with it to try and finish something here. The circumstances behind his decision I have no idea but if we don't get promoted it will be through no fault of Tammy who so far has been absolutely massive for us.

He's been loyal to us so it would be pretty poor on our part to freeze him out if the playoffs slip away. I want to see what goals tally Tammy reaches with us and if that is at the cost of others development so be it. :)