Jump to content
Demitri_C

Dean Smith

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

I honestly cannot count 5 good performances from this season, I’m not talking results, I’m talking performance with a style and quality.

Did you not think Everton, United, Norwich, Newcastle and Liverpool were decent performances? To be fair I can’t really come up with any more league games than that either.

I do think our style is clearly still developing, but that hasn’t surprised me considering Liverpool even took a season or two to start pressing like they do now and that was with one or two quality additions per year. Klopp hasn’t changed how he plays the game but it still took them a while to get there.

If we stay up and next year don’t appear to be developing a style I’ll start to worry. For now I think Dean has shown he can adapt (albeit took a while) and even made his first pre-60 minute sub the other day! As long as he keep showing he can learn from mistakes I’ll be happy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I really want us to have a manager that stays 10-15 years. Rarity thesedays yes, but even with a few failures, sticking with one identity and instilling a culture will be worth it in the long run. Might take 3 years to start bearing any fruit, but I just want to see how it unfolds. Because the sack and new man in approach is absolute carnage.

I’d love that too.

Utd and Arsenal have shown it doesn’t necessarily provide a good platform to maintain success. Admittedly both have had very dodgy director level leadership in recent years and in the final years of the Ferguson and Wenger tenures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Woody1000 said:

 

I was stating that I have concerns, I don’t think what I said is ridiculous at all. I honestly cannot count 5 good performances from this season, I’m not talking results, I’m talking performance with a style and quality. What is our footballing identity this season? All IMO of course.

Because tbh, compared to a lot of the premier league, our team is pretty shit and really inexperienced in this level. We are just trying to scrape by and finish 17th. Staying up is the goal and then replacing some very obvious deficiencies next season to kick on even further. It's very rarely were going to be able to go the whole 90 mins with good performance. Let alone 5 of them. There's currently teams which have spent hundreds of millions over the years in the prem who struggle to go 45 mins with a good performance and our squad is much worse than theirs. We will go through 10-30 min spells each half hoping to look semi good and that's all we should be asking for at this stage tbh.

Edited by Bugzy1991
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are we bad a lot of the time, asks the guy expecting us to be in a relegation battle. Make it make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I really want us to have a manager that stays 10-15 years. Rarity thesedays yes, but even with a few failures, sticking with one identity and instilling a culture will be worth it in the long run. Might take 3 years to start bearing any fruit, but I just want to see how it unfolds. Because the sack and new man in approach is absolute carnage.

Liverpool, United and Arsenal are all what they are today because of the appointment and retaining of Shankly, Paisley, Ferguson and Wenger. In terms of the most sought after silverware, Chelsea and Manchester City are literally not even half of what Liverpool and United are, and both are still a long ways behind Arsenal, even Arsenal's decades of top 4 finishes and CL knockout phase appearances don't count for trophies, imagine if they did. They might actually of become history's invincible club.

It takes the right man at the right club for such a thing to transpire though. Fortunately for us I think we have a manager who's very capable, and hopefully that potential is realised with this club, as we have a ceiling as high as English football can take you.

Aston Villa literally is a sleeping giant, belonging to one of Europe's top 25 most populated cities, not only should it be an English powerhouse, but a European one. Why do we think your Madrid's, Barelona's, Munich's and Milan's have historically dominated the worldstage? How did PSG rise to prominence? Because everyone wants to play under the big city lights.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Aston Villa literally is a sleeping giant

No.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

Why do we think your Madrid's, Barelona's, Munich's and Milan's have historically dominated the worldstage? How did PSG rise to prominence? Because everyone wants to play under the big city lights.

More canals then Venice you know ;)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smith in. I like our manager & staff. I like our owners CEO , DOF and players.

For the past decade now there has always been someone in one of those roles who was a complete waster or dishonest or who didnt care. Right now we dont have any wasters and I see everyone doing their best for the club.

Perhaps I have low ambitions but right now I am happy to see my club rebuild with these people. 

I may change in a few weeks mind :)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 24/01/2020 at 11:46, Sam-AVFC said:

Did you not think Everton, United, Norwich, Newcastle and Liverpool were decent performances? To be fair I can’t really come up with any more league games than that either.

I do think our style is clearly still developing, but that hasn’t surprised me considering Liverpool even took a season or two to start pressing like they do now and that was with one or two quality additions per year. Klopp hasn’t changed how he plays the game but it still took them a while to get there.

If we stay up and next year don’t appear to be developing a style I’ll start to worry. For now I think Dean has shown he can adapt (albeit took a while) and even made his first pre-60 minute sub the other day! As long as he keep showing he can learn from mistakes I’ll be happy.

I think we also played well against Watford on Monday night... We've had a bunch of decent halves too including against Brighton and Burnley. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Dean Smith in the punditry team for Brentford v Leicester on BBC. Had a few things to say about managing Villa, mostly just the usual platitudes, but one or two insights.

Most interesting being that Jack will let him know when he / the players aren’t satisfied with a training session, implying that Jack has been pushing the coaching staff to keep improving.

Whatever you think about Smith, he seems to promote a good culture around a place. He doesn’t seem too proud to let other people bring improvements and ideas to the table.

Came across well, although you can tell he’s a bit nervous at the moment, and keeps repeating his line about being a Villa fan like he’s trying to trot out his job preservation patter. He did say his teams typically do better in the second half of the season, and that he felt this group of players had just started to hit their stride.

I really like Smith, but strangely he doesn't come across a confident person to me at all! Maybe it's just when a camera is on him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I really like Smith, but strangely he doesn't come across a confident person to me at all! Maybe it's just when a camera is on him.

Sometimes a lack of confidence can be a strength.  Overconfidence can potentially lead to sloppiness or cockiness whilst a lack of confidence can mean diligence and humility. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Sometimes a lack of confidence can be a strength.  Overconfidence can potentially lead to sloppiness or cockiness whilst a lack of confidence can mean diligence and humility. 

Yes I think Smith is someone you underestimate at your peril. He’s never going to be that God personality like Mourinho or Guardiola, but there are some advantages to having a bit more humility.

I always thought Alex Ferguson’s great strength was that behind the aura he was actually willing to let other people contribute ideas. McLaren and Queiroz were credited with updating his tactical ideas for his second (Class of 92) and third (Rooney & Ronaldo) teams. Not all managers are able to evolve like that.

(P.S. Before the Smith Out Brigade sniff an opening for a 15 page debate. No I’m not saying Smith is the next Alex Ferguson.)

Edited by KentVillan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of our 31 goals scored this season, only Grealish is responsible for a sum as high as 25% of our total.

Of the eight other players to contribute, half of those are worth 10% each, and the remaining four are worth 3%, 6%, 12% and 16% each.

I've been telling you guys we commit between 5-8 players forward in Smith's system (not that anyone denies it), and to good effect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, weedman said:

Genuine question for those that expected a relegation battle this season but still think Smith should go or is out of his depth or whatever...what did you expect from a relegation battle?

I mean we're inconsistent, sometimes downright awful, our squad depth isn't great, a lot of players just don't tick enough boxes to be top players, our younger players aren't quite up to the physicality of the PL yet, I get all that, but we're 16th in a season where 17th is a good achievement, and if any of those things weren't true we'd be a lot higher in the league. Hell, the way this seasons gone we'd probably be 5th!

I get the impression that some people accept 17th is a good result, but want to get there without ever playing badly, going on bad runs, or seriously considering relegation, it's bizzare 

Personally I’m not at all surprised we’re in a relegation battle. However I was hoping we could conduct the battle from about 7th or 8th in the league. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Personally I’m not at all surprised we’re in a relegation battle. However I was hoping we could conduct the battle from about 7th or 8th in the league. 

Only takes a few good results. Southampton in relegation spots 7 games ago

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...
Â