Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Smith: “The team have worked hard without a striker. I've got to work out whether it's best to start Ally or Keinan or keep with the players that have been getting the results and the performances.”

Surely just keeping our opponent on their toes and creating competition for places in our team. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Smith: “The team have worked hard without a striker. I've got to work out whether it's best to start Ally or Keinan or keep with the players that have been getting the results and the performances.”

Oh boy, I hope he doesn't choose to start without a recognised striker just because "they did well without one".

I think Leicester would expect us to play our new striker, they might even think it'd be crazy not to and really it is. It may not be such a bad idea to throw the spanner in the machine and screw up there thinking and play Samatta second half while playing Davis first.

Do you give Samatta a full game, do you play Davis first or do you go ghazi up front again, really could be crucial the choice Smith makes.

23 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Do you give Samatta a full game, do you play Davis first or do you go ghazi up front again, really could be crucial the choice Smith makes.

Davis started and played most minutes in 17 of 19 appearances 2 seasons ago in Championship and got his 2 goals in 3 game period vs Barnsley and Burton and now he's suddenly the answer to go straight in against Leicester? What are the odds that the same people calling for this will blame Smith if it happens and backfires?

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Davis started and played most minutes in 17 of 19 appearances 2 seasons ago in Championship and got his 2 goals in 3 game period vs Barnsley and Burton and now he's suddenly the answer to go straight in against Leicester? What are the odds that the same people calling for this will blame Smith if it happens and backfires?

Isn't it better just to focus on choosing the best team to play against Leicester rather than worry too much about trying to shield Smith from "blame"?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Villa Park will be rocking for the Leicester game but starting Samatta will give the atmosphere an even bigger boost. He must start. 

You'd think so but, I've got a sneaky feeling that Deano will go with the team that started against Watford. 

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

You'd think so but, I've got a sneaky feeling that Deano will go with the team that started against Watford. 

Would make sense tbh, bring a striker on late in the game especially one that's never played with the team or in the premier League 

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Like the rest of us id like a striker to start, I’d also prefer Luiz to start over Drinkwater. 

But I can understand if we go with same team we did against Watford. 

Drinkwater is cup tied

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, romavillan said:

Some people have a real problem with 3 at the back, don't know why. In my lifetime I've seen us use it to very good effect, playing good football too. Apart from Villa though sooooo many sides have won stuff with it, seems daft to think it's a no go as a formation. We've got centre backs who are comfortable on the ball, that's half the battle. I think it really suits us, I'd like to see us play it with Jack in the middle, as part of the 2 in a 3-4-2-1 I think he'd run things.

Yea is baffling to me that you somehow can't play nice football with 3 at the back. I would personally like to see 5-2-1-2  with Jack in the hole behind the front two and able to roam either side, but we don't have enough strikers for that currently.  2 Box to Box centre mids and wingbacks that can get up and down. Think we are a way off playing that system though :P

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

Do we really want to start our new striker when we're 2-0 down at half time? What an introduction that would be.

Start with him on the pitch and play with the boost he'll give us.

Goes both ways. This is a striker we need to deliver the second half of the season. If we start him and he struggles (like most strikers from foreign leagues do their first few matches), then lose heavily against a very good Leicester side, his confidence can take a knock at a toxic Villa Park. 

Ofc. you can flip that argument if he does well. But the more I think about it, I think I'd start El Ghazi up top (especially since our form has been rather decent), then bring him on second half. 

That's before we even discuss the need of him developing relations with the squad to be effective. 

32 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Goes both ways. This is a striker we need to deliver the second half of the season. If we start him and he struggles (like most strikers from foreign leagues do their first few matches), then lose heavily against a very good Leicester side, his confidence can take a knock at a toxic Villa Park. 

Ofc. you can flip that argument if he does well. But the more I think about it, I think I'd start El Ghazi up top (especially since our form has been rather decent), then bring him on second half. 

That's before we even discuss the need of him developing relations with the squad to be effective. 

Bildresultat för oh my gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LondonVillian said:

Yea is baffling to me that you somehow can't play nice football with 3 at the back. I would personally like to see 5-2-1-2  with Jack in the hole behind the front two and able to roam either side, but we don't have enough strikers for that currently.  2 Box to Box centre mids and wingbacks that can get up and down. Think we are a way off playing that system though :P

We used to play 5-3-2/3-5-2 often during the Brian Little era, and we played some tremendous football. 

Personally don’t think we have the ideal full backs/wing backs for it atm though. If you have the right wide men and ball playing cb’s it doesn’t have to be overly defensive either. Shifts the overload to wide midfield areas

Â