Dean Smith

Demitri_C

That wasn't luck, we were the better team all night, Deulofeu and Gray not being able to pass to each helped but that's football

Keeping the ball around the back isn't a problem, confidence from the midfield showing for a pass is key, that let's us push forward, that's why I don't think Drinkwater is that bad, the wing backs at least give a better out ball

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Fair play today. Best i've seen from us for ages.

Even if we lost the game today i wouldn't be as harsh as usual. Because i saw something to get behind during that game.

And pigs fly over fields filled with Unicorns. 😉

• Haha 1

Did well today, but proves the team has what it takes, early sub for once changed the game, Luiz is quality, just needs more game time. Hopefully Smith can drill some consistency into the team now, as a roll over against Bournemouth, and he will be running out of places to hide.

24 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

Luckiest team ever, it's amazing what happens when you have a striker on the pitch he should have started with Vasselev. Pepe Reina absolutely love him without him it's 3:0. All this short passing around at the back and it's long ball that wins it. 

Would still like a Pearson type manager if I'm honest because it's his slow reaction time that's hurting us it's. Fair play we ground it out today but it doesn't happen enough imo 

Vassilev is not a striker. 

• Like 1

Against Burnley we close out a victory on the road while the home team is throwing the kitchen sink at us. Now, against Brighton and Watford we have come back from losing positions to grab 4 points and it wasn't by luck we fully deserved both results. 

If you can't see the progress by this point then you're choosing not to. UTV!!!

Edited by Rightdm00
Excited and forgot a word
  • Like 2

I thought he got it very wrong first half. We had a constant back 3 even though they they had 10 men behind the ball. It was impossible to get through and we had no runners from midfield to support. 

Second half Luiz was able to get forward and one of the centre halves would try to get further forward too. Young striker also moved defenders around and El Ghazi was able to pick the ball from deep and run at defenders.  I also think Watford’s time wasting tactics helped rile the players and fans. If they had been more aggressive rather than passive we wouldn’t have got back in to that game. 

As I said in another post we’ve managed 10 points from 15 and 4 from 7 without a recognised striker. The players have a belief and are not giving up even though a lot of the fans seem to have. I was shocked at how negative the support was first half. second half the fans were superb. 

Need to continue this against Bournemouth who will be desperate for a win.

In Smith we trust.

1 hour ago, The Other Mat said:

Slow reaction time? He made a sub at 56mins. In the last 2 games his tactical tweaks and subs have earned us 4 points. 

His tactical tweaks have been things people were calling for from the start, so he gets little in the way of plaudits for them. Especially when he had to learn the same lesson twice in half a week.

I said before game I wanted the win just to get people off Smith's back. FB posts yesterday before the game, during and on here after Watford goal I found so depressing I was contemplating a 2 week break from Villa online

Well done Deano. He know what he is doing. And he also knows what Drinkwater brings to the table. Amazing to see the improvement in Luiz and Nakamba since Drinkwater arrived. It isn’t a coincidence. (And yes i know Drinkwater performances have been shaky)

• Like 2

Yes yes yes yes yes yes!!!!! 
Get IN!!!!!!!!! 
We dominated that game and deserved the win. Yes first half we struggled at the killer end, but without a recognised striker to play what else could we do (Vassilev isn’t ready to start but is a great impact sub). We dominated possession for the first time in a while, hopefully we are now past our down turn in form (Smith himself has said his teams normally get better as the season goes on). UTV

Been thinking a bit about it at work now, and what a big bloody win this is.

Firstly other teams won tonight, so it was imperative we got points.

Secondly Watford got beaten back a bit, lost some confidence, and will now go into matches against Everton, Brighton, Man Utd and Liverpool before meeting Palace and Leicester. They got a tough run now. 

Thirdly, I won't use terms like turning points or whatever, but in terms of confidence this must be absolutely massive for us. Now we can continue with a new striker to play off from as well. 

This might just be a match we can look back on in May and be very very pleased. 

As for Deano is concerned, I loved watching our bench reaction to the 2-1 goal. That was pure. 

• Like 2

Â